cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAJOR issues after Kitkat upgrade (almost unusable)

Highlighted
Journeyman

MAJOR issues after Kitkat upgrade (almost unusable)

Ever since I updated my Samsung Galaxy S4 to Kitkat, the device is almost completely unusable.
It has gotten to the point where I am almost willing to cancel my contract, pay the fees and switch to another carrier and device completely.

Any advice on how to fix this would be great. If there isn't a fix, I'd like to just downgrade back to the prior Android version. Is this possible?

Problem Symptoms

• Screen does not wake up after pressing power button
    • Sometimes it will work right away, other times the screen will not turn at all until several minutes after I press the power key
    • If It does finally "wake up" the touch screen to enter my unlock code is completely non-functional
      • Ocassionally I will enter my unlock PIN only to have the screen turn right back off and restart this whole cycle again
    • Sometimes the ui will crash on the lock screen and allow me access to my phone without entering the unlock PIN. This could be a MAJOR security issue.
  • After a successful wake up and unlock and I'm on my home screen, the device will either turn the screen back off or return me to the lock screen
  • If I am able to wake up and unlock, I receive errors saying the system.ui or keyguard has stopped working
    • given dialog options of "Wait" or "OK", selecting OK seems to continue to let the system work as intended. but if that's the case, what is the point of the error message to begin with?
  • When the system set alarms go off, attempting to slide left or right to snooze or accept rarely works
    • This leads to my alarm continually going off where I can't actually stop the sound. Im sure you can imagine how irritating this is first thing in the morning
  • When receiving incoming phone calls, the touch screen seems unresponsive to sliding left or right to answer or reject the call
    • This happens less than 50% of the time but is still *very* troublesome when I am waiting for an important call
  • Text entry sometimes does not work what-so-ever
    • This happens regardless of app. The keyboard will appear and I am clearly hitting the keys but no text appears.
    • Tactile feedback still activates as if i am typing, but no text is visible
    • Once the system "catches up" it will either continue jumbled letters from what i was trying to type or nothing at all

That is a mostly complete list of symptoms that have happened since the update, but it seems like there are more and more issues every day that happen more and more frequently.

If needed I could attach screenshots of the errors, assuming the device will actually let me use that feature, or any type of logcat output that might be helpful.

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Master

BobbyTables-

Wow. That does seem extremely frustrating. How long ago did you complete the update? Did the issue start immediately after? The phone really sounds like it needs to have a factory reset completed on it. You will, of course, want to back up all your information prior to doing this but it would fix any corruption that occured during the installation process of the upgrade. If you are not comfortable completing this, you can try taking it to a repair store. They may end up needing to do one anyway, but they may have another solution. There is no way to go back to a previous version once the upgrade has been completed. Please keep us updated and let me know if you were able to get the issue resolved.

- Melyssa
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Master

One solution that might help you is this:

Go to Play Store and download "Refresh Customization" and run both options. It's a Samsung app specifically for the S4. This should take care of most of your problems.

I would strongly suggest to do a factory reset before running refresh customization, but if the reset is to much headache for you, just try that first.

Also, make sure you always have more then 1-2Gb of internal memory left on the phone.

Long press home button, click at the pie on the bottom, and then RAM, can you tell me how much RAM are you using on a normal time?

I come here trying to help people and I'm NOT employed by Sprint, so If my reply helped you or if you get an answer to your question from other users, PLEASE mark it as solved.
Highlighted
Journeyman

I don't remember exactly how long ago the Kitkat update was pushed OTA, but the problems didn't start until about 2 weeks after the update.
I performed a factory reset twice since then, just in case that was an issue.
I have also never 'rooted' my device or done any type of customization that would lead to issues like this. I even attempted to remove all sorts of apps and widgets I thought might be causing the problem.

I do have the full protection plan, but I don't know if something like this is covered. It sounds like it would actually be easier for me to physically break my phone in front of a Sprint employee in order to get a new one, then to have them attempt to troubleshoot these issues.

Highlighted
Journeyman

That last part came off a bit rude, so I apologize about that. But this is incredibly frustrating.

I work heavily in the IT industry, and am well versed in troubleshooting techniical issues... I have tried multiple methods of troubleshooting, debugging, even attempted to install the Android SDK with Kitkat and emulate my device to see if the issues were recreated - which they are not.

Highlighted
Master

BobbyTables

I clearly understand your concern. When the Manufacturer distributed the Kitkat update it could have caused a corruption of the operating system. If you did a hard reset and it didn't fix the problem, then we will need to to a look at alternate options. Please open this link http://bit.ly/1qQty1X and follow the instructions please.

Thanks,

Pamela
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Master

BobbyTables

No problem! Go ahead and send the email, we will help with this issue once we receive the email.

Thanks,

Pamela
Sprint Social Care
Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat