Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No lollipop and 6/19 is approaching!!!

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

No lollipop and 6/19 is approaching!!!

I, and what appears to be many others, have yet to receive the update and the "by 6/19" date is Friday. Is there a new time frame and why have we not been informed of the update's progress. It getting pretty obvious that Sprint would rather us all run out and purchase S6's instead.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: No lollipop and 6/19 is approaching!!!

Since you have already downloaded the update you can do the following to restart the install.

1. Turn phone completely off, pulling the battery is the fastest method to achieve this.
  2. Hold down the Volume Up and Home buttons, then press and hold the Power button.
  3. You'll see the phone boot with the usual Samsung logo appear, but watch the upper left corner and when you see "Recovery Booting" in dark blue appear release only the Power button.
  4. Once in recovery mode you should see the option to "Update from Cache" (or similar wording) using the Volume Down button, highlight it then press the Power button to select it.
  5. The update process will re-launch in a manual mode.

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26
Highlighted
Journeyman

Just to let you know I received the update on Friday.  I thought I would never get it,  FYI I bought the phone a year after it came out.  install went well, I did use kies, then i did a factory reset.  so far I like lollipop's user interface, battery life seems about the same while I'm using my phone.  When the phone is sitting idle I don't lose battery at all.  with 4.4.2 the battery would drain while i was using it and while it was sitting idle.

Highlighted
GrandMaster

if it were up to Sprint to actually deploy these updates then yes you might be right..but since they DONT send them out to the phones im thinking this isnt what theyre trying to do.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

It's not Sprint who manages the roll out, why can't people understand that? Talk to Samsung.  And just a shred of info to consider, the file your phone downloads is not even hosted on Sprints servers, nope not even Samsung's, it's on Google's. Progress update? What's there to update, either you have it or you don't.

And what company in the world would not prefer that you spend money and buy something from them?  But that does not mean that Sprint is trying to pressure you into buying a new phone. Any pressure to have a new one is only being applied by yourself and the impatience to have the "latest and greatest" software.

Have you tried to framework trick that a few have reported as working, its the method I used to retrigger the update so I could get the screenshot I posted in another thread.

Highlighted
Journeyman

If you are correct (and I'll give you the benefit of doubt) then why has the S4 lollipop rollout been completed on other carrier's S4's? I understand that Samsung/Google release the updates but I don't believe the carriers have absolutely nothing to do with it. I mean, they all certainly piggy-back bloatware on top of the updates themselves.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Will the original Lg G Flex get the new android update

Highlighted
GrandMaster

because theyre other carriers..they dont deploy it out to every S4 across the globe in one mighty swoop. its carrier to carrier device to device..as is theyre deployed out in batches starting with a small batch of people then onto a larger batch etc etc. sure the carrier has their fingers into it..they must do their own testing and checking as well as adding in any bloatware etc that they deem needed then its back to the manufacturer for a final test then off the masses.

and how old is the original Flex? usually you'll get 2 MAYBE 3 major OS updates and thats about it. after that it'll just be random bug fixes and or security updates.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

Everyone seems to understand that Apple pushes the updates out to iphones and ipads, but with Android for some reason people are unwilling to see that it is basically the same process.

Although this may not be "exact" it should give you a better idea or overview of how things go.  The Android OS update process goes something like this...

1. Google creates new OS version and sends source out to hardware manufacturers.
  2. Manufactures customize source with appropriate hardware drivers and their unique user interfaces along with other changes from the stock "Vanilla" Android experience. This is done for each specific model within a given line of devices (remember that there are numerous unique S4's models, each with different hardware varying from changes in radio's to completely different CPU's memory chips and other microprocessors/chips, so this is a separate process for each one.) During this process they make a preliminary decision on which devices are eligible for the update, partially based on compatibility and performance, but there are likely other factors involved.
  3. Manufacturer sends eligible packages to Carriers.
  4. Carriers test and customize updates with network required additions and other additions such as apps. They also work with the Manufacturer (and likely Google via the manufacturer) to resolve any problems found.  If the update makes it through all of that and is deemed appropriate and usable by the carrier then it is Certified by the carrier for use on their network/devices.
  5. Carrier sends certified update package back to Manufacturer.
  6. Manufacturer publishes source via their website or by other means. They also send the update package back to Google for publishing and linking on their servers (This is where our phones download the package from... Google's servers, not Samsung's and not Sprints)
  7. Manufacturer creates timetable for deployment and begins rolling out the update in stages. This is done over the Carriers Network, but not by the Carriers. This can sometimes happen quickly or can take a while as is the case here. I personally cannot blame them for taking longer this time around due to the larger number of problems that Android L (5.x.x) has experienced since it's release.
  8. Carriers receives a huge amount of flack from customers who do not know or understand the logistics behind OS updates or simply do not care and just want to blame whoever is most convenient.
Highlighted
GrandMaster

i found a cool little circle of android (ripped from the circle of life deal) when i was randomly searching the web one day..summed up what you said but with less words and a visual lol..wouldnt let me copy it for whatever reason so i could keep it for times like this lol..

most tend to do the usual blame/finger pointing but forget that the Nexus android devices get their updates directly from Google themselves..no matter which carrier its on. same rules apply for the other android devices but more fingers end up being in it before it finally gets tossed to the wolves.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Go to application manager then all apps, stroll down for GOOGLE SERVICES FRAMEWORK clear cache Clear data forceclose the app as many as you can then go to software update and hit check. I hope it work for you, it work for me...good luck.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks so much for the info. It worked great! I found the lollipop update & just finished updating. 🙂

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thank's for the "holier than thou" responses from a few phone-techie's, but my question still remains unanswered. It's been documented well on this forum that Sprint has given a "by 6/19" date for the S4 Lollipop update. Well....that's less than 48 hours away with perhaps millions of Sprint S4's still running Kit Kat.

So...once again, what's going on SPRINT???

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat