cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone in Bootloop. No Way Out?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Phone in Bootloop. No Way Out?

A few days ago, I updated my phone to Lollipop. The phone was fine afterwards. The update seemed stable and the apps were performing well. Battery life seemed fine and the temperature of the phone was pretty good. Today, when I charged the phone, after about two hours, I went to go check it and found that the phone was incredibly hot. I took the battery out, waited a bit, and then put it back in and started back up. It would work for a little and then shut off and reboot by itself after using some apps.

This continued to happen multiple times. I finally looked online to see if this was a problem and it seems like a lot of people were having the same problem. The solution seemed to be to go into recovery mode and clear the cache partition. I went ahead and did that and the phone did work well for about a half hour before it started rebooting by itself again.

I did the clearing again and it just continued to reboot. After looking online, I saw that another suggestion was to enter into Safe Mode and see if things were okay there. I went into safe mode and it still kept rebooting.

The final thing I saw that one could do was simply back up everything and factory reset the phone. I went ahead and removed the sd card and then backed up my info to Kies on my laptop. I then went ahead and reset my phone.

The phone is still stuck booting up, but now it won't even get out of the initial bootup stage. It won't stay on the home screen long enough to do anything, won't stay long enough to restore, won't stay long enough to even open any apps before it's rebooting again. This time, though, after it reboots a couple of times, it will stay stuck on the Samsung Galaxy s4 intro screen and not continue at all.

I am at a loss as to what to do next. Is this time for me to just take it to a sprint store or is there some other way out of this? Can I go back to kitkat some way? I'm really lost right now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4
Journeyman

Re: Phone in Bootloop. No Way Out?

I had similar problems, two potential causes. 

(1)  You may have gotten a corrupted file when you got the update.

In current situation, would either go to spot on WWW where they have fresh copy of Lollipop for the S4 triband,

download it and install via you computer.  Alternate is to try and get Sprint store to do a fresh install of the Lollipop Operating system.

(2) Can be coincidence, I've seen stranger things, so: CHECK YOUR BATTERY, it may have gone South on you.

If you have a spare, try that one,  If not, see if you can borrow use of battery from a friend with an S4. Or, maybe they can test battery at Sprint store?

HTH

GrandMaster

they can also try to do a cache/partition wipe on the device itself to see if that clears it back up again.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

fireguy_6364 wrote:

they can also try to do a cache/partition wipe on the device itself to see if that clears it back up again.

/\ This can often resolve first boot issues after an update and is definitely worth a try.

GrandMaster

pm heading your way in a sec.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat