cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S 4 kitkat update error

Highlighted
Journeyman

S 4 kitkat update error

My phone downloads the update fine, the problem is when it tries to install the update I get an error every time. The little green Android guy is laying on his back with a red exclamation mark over him. This happens at the same point every time I try to install it.

13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: S 4 kitkat update error

I've tried factory resetting my phone and it doesn't help

Highlighted
Journeyman

- Do you have all prior updates installed already? (Your phone should be on MK2)

- Is your phone fully stock or was it ever modified in some way (rooted)?

- Can you follow along with the update attempt and see what words flash on the screen before it fails?

Highlighted
Journeyman

No prior updates.

The phone was rooted a little while back but I removed the root.

No there are no words to follow along during the install.

Highlighted
Master

is your phone on MK2 or not, after root, what did you instal, go to Settings - more - about device - status, all the way at the bottom under device status, what does it say?

Also under about device screen, what baseband version does it show (please type the whole thing, numbers and letters).

I come here trying to help people and I'm NOT employed by Sprint, so If my reply helped you or if you get an answer to your question from other users, PLEASE mark it as solved.
Highlighted
Journeyman

It is MK2. I installed superSU, wanamp xposed, and titanium backup.

Device status says custom.

Baseband is L720VPUEMK2

Highlighted
Journeyman

jmoli wrote:

It is MK2. I installed superSU, wanamp xposed, and titanium backup.

Device status says custom.

Baseband is L720VPUEMK2

Then your phone isn't fully stock again. You'll need to go back to "that forum", look for the full MK2.tar.md5 (it's a popular thread) and install it to restore your phone to full stock (does not erase user data ). Your status should then return to Official and you can install the update.

Highlighted
Master

... unless you might want to keep the phone in custom ROM and just wait for the update to be available on XDA (which might already be, haven't checked).

Even though reinstalling the stock ROM does not erase anything, I would strongly suggest you backup everything, just in case...

I come here trying to help people and I'm NOT employed by Sprint, so If my reply helped you or if you get an answer to your question from other users, PLEASE mark it as solved.
Highlighted
Journeyman

He's not using an actual "custom ROM" from what he's mentioned. Device status changes once the phone is rooted and unrooting will not change it back, only restoring a Samsung ROM will. However he does have the option of either doing as I mentioned or using one of the custom KitKat ROMs if doesn't mind not being stock.

Highlighted
Master

correct, I understood what you said, I was just giving him another option if he didn't want to go through the restore process.

Highlighted
Master

Good afternoon, jmoli. I wanted to follow up and see if you found the answer you were looking for based on the information provided by other users in this thread. Please keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions.

Regards,

*Audrey

Sprint Social Care Team

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks for following up. No, I haven't found a solution. Everything is set back to official as far as my device status goes and I reset it to factory default. I still get the error at the same point every time.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat