Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S4 Bluetooth/Lexus ES350 Problem + Wi-Fi Problem = why did I buy this phone??!!!?!

Journeyman

S4 Bluetooth/Lexus ES350 Problem + Wi-Fi Problem = why did I buy this phone??!!!?!

1.  Phone and car paired and conneted for phone calls and audio.  Car has regular radio, not nav system. I can make and receive calls just fine, but I cannot get voicemail to play over bluetooth.  What gives?

2.  The phone forgets my work wi-fi password at least 4 times a week.  What gives?

I NEVER had these or any problems with my good ol' trusty Evo 4g, and I'm questioning why I switched if the supposed really advanced Samsung has these stupid little problems.  Hmph.

End of rant.  Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

6 REPLIES 6
Wizard

Hello DMKKJACOBS1,

Thanks for posting. Car pairing can be tricky when it comes to other applications such as Nav and VoiceMail. Most cars support the full range of audio to be played from the phone but often the phone, or the specific application itself has a setting that must be enabled.

In the case of the voicemail app you want to go into the app, press Menu>Settings and select the option to allow Speaker for playback.

Other application such as many music apps (Pandora for example) have a specific setting in their settings menu to enable play over bluetooth.

In regards to the WiFi. Does this happen to all WiFi networks? If not, it's likely your company is using an encrypted connection. What this means is not only do you have to put in the WiFi password but there is a security certificate that is loaded on the phone to make sure your connection is completely secure. Often times companies will set the certificate to expire at a specific time (perhaps 1-2 days in your case). Once this happens you must re-connect and authenticate the connection. You can test this theory by going into work and waiting for a time when the phone does not auto connect. If it doesn't auto connect, access the WiFi settings and long-press on the WiFi network. It should give an option to "forget network" if you see this then we can assume the connection needs a new certificate since it didn't auto-connect.

Please let me know if this helps.

Thank you,

Chris

Journeyman

Chris,

You said:  "In the case of the voicemail app you want to go into the app, press Menu>Settings and select the option to allow Speaker for playback."

I did: pressed Menu>Settings.  I don't see an option for "Speaker", just "Speakerphone".  I enabled that but still cannot listen to voicemail in my car over bluetooth.

Thanks for your continued help,

David

Wizard

David,

Thanks for replying. Speakerphone was the option I was referring to.

I am going to check with my product development team to find out more about the Voicemail over Bluetooth support on the S4. I personally have a Note 2 and a car with Ford Sync and my voicemail does play over Bluetooth. I checked again and don't see any other additional settings.

Please give me some time here to hear back and we'll go from there.

Thank you,

Chris

Journeyman

Chris, thank you.  I'll patiently await your reply.  Have a nice day

David

Wizard

David,

Thank you for your patients. I finally got a response back from my product team and it sounds like they believe it may just be an incompatibility with that particular hands free device. Many newer car stereos have options to upgrade firmware to accommodate newer phones that come out. It may need to be something that the dealership will have to do for you but you may want to check online to see how the firmware/software for the radio/bluetooth could be updated. I know with my card, I have a USB slot in the glovebox that allows me to plug in a flash drive with the update file.

Thank you,

Chris

Journeyman

Chris, according to Lexus website, my 2011 ES350 without Nav system is fully compatible with the Samsung Galaxy S4 except for one small item concerning tranfers of the phonebook to the car so I believe the problem is not with the car but with the phone.  Can you please find out more?  I am not happy at this point that a modern smartphone is not communicating with a less than three year old car.

Thank you very much,

David

Community News

Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat