cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S4 buy outright or sign contract?

Highlighted
Journeyman

S4 buy outright or sign contract?

So my company will pay for me to get a cell phone, and I am eyeing the S4. Any advantage to paying outright for a phone and not signing a contract other than the ability to upgrade whenever I want in the future?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: S4 buy outright or sign contract?

cityw5-

Top of the morning to you! Aside from being eligible to upgrade at any point, I don't see any advantages to paying the standard retail cost for your device. Keep in mind that even when you purchase a device at retail cost, you are still subject to a $36.00 upgrade fee. Is there something in specific that you're looking for?

Thanks!

William

Sprint Social Care Team

Journeyman

Thanks SuperWilliamD!

Since my company will pay for a new phone, I am looking for flexibility to upgrade in the future without having to wait for whatever time frame passes.  So sounds like upgrade flexibility is the only advantage of paying for a phone outright.  Any other advantages?

Wizard

In my case I am planning to buy it no contract.

Journeyman

On GSM networks, buying a phone outright may make sense, since it let's the phone owner switch carriers more flexibly.  But with a Sprint (CDMA) phone, it seems no such benefit exists unless one would want to shift to a prepaid carrier with a slower network (at least these days).

GrandMaster

buying the phone outright leaves them with the ability to still upgrade to another phone if they wish to..no worries about a 2 year contract holding them back if something better pops up before next year..which rumor has it a few more phones should be popping out late this year

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat