cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S4 only connects to Internet when on wifi

Highlighted
Journeyman

S4 only connects to Internet when on wifi

My samsung s4 only connects to Internet when on wifi, otherwise it will not connect and yes I have a data plan

45 REPLIES 45
Highlighted
Master

hope2010@yahoo.com,

Sorry to hear you have having problems with your data not working. May I have nearby cross streets and zip code to look into the network in your area? Have you tried changing your network settings to CDMA? Steps are available here http://bit.ly/1dd7D04 Once you change the network settings, update the data profile again and let me know if this helps.

Thanks,
Lorrie
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

Don't bother doing a factory reset, I did one, and it won't fix the problems.  I had the exact same issues with my tri-band S4 after the wi-fi calling update.  If you look you'll also notice that in addition to the issue you guys have posted, you will find that your roaming settings option is gone.  I noticed the roaming setting was completely missing.  I also lost data connectivity and could only get it back by restarting the phone.  My sprint zone was also messed up - replaced by a little android robot icon called "Mobile Zone" that wouldn't open - just flashed an error message then crashed.  The ultimate fix was to go to the Samsung Experience Center at Best Buy and they flashed my phone back to the previous software version.  All is good now.  Don't bother trying to deal with Sprint - they are clueless.  This was a bad update - but they are too clueless to figure that out or admit it.  They will blame it on Samsung or Google.  Go to the Samsung guys at Best Buy and tell them you want your phone flashed to NAF (that's the previous version).  DO NOT go to sprint store - they won't have a clue and will make you wait forever to do nothing in the end.

And to Sprint - if anyone reading this wants to actually address this problem you need to have this update pulled.  It's a bad update.  It corrupts people's phones.  I know that will never happen, but maybe after sprint sees hundreds or thousands of phones messed up by this update they will finally figure it out and do something - but I won't hold my breath on that...

And to anyone that has had this issue - call sprint.  Complain.  Maybe if they hear from enough people they will actually address the problem.  Again I stress MAYBE, but they definitely won't do anything if people don't complain.  And also go to the Samsung place at Best Buy and have your phones fixed properly by getting the previous version software flashed to your phone, and most importantly, don't do the wi-fi calling update until sprint hopefully fixes it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

have the exact.sme.issue since this update. No matter where I am. 34602, 33558, 33624...

NO data!!! I fully expect.some sort of refund for this!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Is there any way to back out the wi-fi calling update? Its obvious that is the culprit.

Highlighted
Master

chunkxchunk,

I'm sorry to hear you're unable to use data with your S4.  Did this start after doing a software update?  Could you please do the following steps and let us know if this helps?

1.   Turn On phone by pressing and holding the Power button at the top right of the phone.

2.   On the phone dial pad press ##72786#.

3.   A  black screen appears with SCRTN in the top banner.

4.   The phone clears previous internal programming information and turns phone off then back on.

o    The device will complete a re-provisioning of the handset.

Thank you,

Lorrie

Sprint Social Care

Highlighted
Master

aeyb,

Could you please try the same steps I just provided to chunkxchunk and see if this resolves the data problems you are having?   Please let us know either way!

Thank you,

Lorrie

Sprint Social Care

Highlighted
Journeyman

Same issue as well along with my roommate (we both have the S4). I actually just transferred my # from ATT and it was THE BIGGEST MISTAKE!!! I unfortunately missed the memo about the return policy only being 14 days and on day 15 made the decision to cancel but NOPE, I'm SOL . Now I'm stuck with a 2 year contact with horrible service. Lesson learned to be sure and ask about the return policy up front.

I'll go by my local Best Buy and have them complete the flash. Thanks for the assist Cooljb!

* An yes, I've completed the updates per a very long instruction via chat.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Unfortunately this issue did not occur right away and became a problem about a week later while I was out of town for work, making it impossible to access work email unless on wifi.  I called Sprint and was informed of the ##72786# fix.  I did this and fortunately it immediately gave me data connectivity again upon completion, but for 3G only.  During the activation, 4G LTE does show briefly, but then goes away.  It's not a location problem either as my tablet sitting inches from my phone shows 4G service.

I've tried this fix again to see if 4G would come back, but no luck.  Guess my only option now is the Kies route.

So the fix above kinda works, but not completely.  Amazing Sprint would roll out such a piece of crap update.

Please spare me the 'can you give me your cross streets' reply!

Highlighted
Master

On another post, Cooljb and other people, claimed that you can refresh your OS via Kies and it will fix all the issues you currently have, give that a try. Just make sure you backup everything you don't want to loose

I come here trying to help people and I'm NOT employed by Sprint, so If my reply helped you or if you get an answer to your question from other users, PLEASE mark it as solved.
Highlighted
Journeyman

Both my daughter and father are having this issue as well. I had my daughter switch her network to cdma and she was able to connect to 3G.

It certainly sounds like going back a version is the thing to do. :facepalm:

Time to launch Odin ....

(ps: we have 7 total lines on our framily only these S4s (the only ones we have) are having any issue whatsoever with data, every other phone's data is great)

Highlighted
Journeyman

I had the same issue, occurred roughly 2 weeks after the update to wifi callilng.  I just performed the ##72786# fix, and now everything is working as it should and I did not lose any data.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Update to my above post.  I am getting LTE coverage, but occasionally it drops to 3G or drops data connectivity all together.  When that happens I can usually reboot and it comes back immediately.  This isn't while driving around town.  It's in the same spot and a spot with typically consistently good LTE connectivity.

I will be doing the Kies fix tomorrow to try to keep from having to reboot a couple times a day.  Just haven't had the time yet to sit down and do it.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat