cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S4 only connects to Internet when on wifi

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: S4 only connects to Internet when on wifi

Reminds me of that famous saying, "There's a sucker born every minute." Needless to say, it made no difference. But we can use the card on her next phone.

I tried the ##72786#, then update profile suggestion. It didn't work. Then I switched it to CDMA only. No difference. She's still getting a sporadic data signal. If we're sitting at home or at Sprint, there are usually one or two bars, and she has a data connection. But driving down the road the data is so sporadic that it's unusable. The signal appears to be extremely attenuated, like there's a problem with the antenna. It's happening from 3G through LTE.

We're planning on following the suggestion to see if Best Buy can reinstall the original firmware. If not or if doing so doesn't work, we're going to call Sprint to see if they'll replace the phone. If they won't, we're going to shop around for another carrier. The Mrs. has said that, as is, the phone is useless to her away from the house. She has a year to go before she can upgrade. We're paying around $250.00 a month for unlimited data on 3 phones. We hate to move because we've been here for years, but if Sprint can't provide the product we need/want, then we'll have to find someone who will.

Highlighted
GrandMaster

how long has she had the phone? over a year or under a year? only other thing i can think of is to back it up and reset it. if she's under the year marker there should still be a warranty deal on it through sammy. so theres always the option to send it into them and have them figure out what is going on..down side is she would be without a device for a couple weeks roughly. if you have another phone sitting around you can swap them out and run that one until the S4 gets back.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

I believe she bought it Dec. 26th, 2014, although I'd have to check to make sure of the exact day - it was shortly after Christmas. I use my phones heavily for streaming at work 8+ hours a day, and rarely get more than 6 months to a year out of them. My personal experience with Sprint is that if the phone boots, you're stuck with it. So I've been buying replacement phones off Ebay for some time. My S4 died a year or so back. Assuming Sprint would stiff me again, I immediately bought a Note 3 off Ebay, then took my S4 to one of the local Sprint stores (Mpls area). To my surprise, Sprint replaced my S4, so it's still in the box. I've been saving it for when the Note 3 dies. She can use it if we can send her Note 4 in.

Highlighted
GrandMaster

only options im really seeing for you (i dont work for sprint so take it with a grain of salt) would be to either contact Sammy and see if they might know what is going on..you might be able to beat the one year marker and have it still under manufacturer warranty..if not and you have TEP you can always go the asurion route but that will land you with a $200 replacement phone which to be honest the S4 is a bit outdated..unless its the spark capable S4 then at least that one is somewhat newer in comparison. since both the repair store and Sammy will want to factory reset it you might as well jump on that and see if anything improves or not. out of curiosity..is this only with data or is the voice signal also junked up?

go into your settings-about phone..what is the model number of it? can tell if its the original S4 or the spark version.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

I forgot to mention in my last reply that the last store we went to installed a new Simm card and did a factory data reset on the phone. The phone is the Sprint Spark version; Model SM-N910P, Hardware version N910P.05, Software version N910PVPU4C0J6. Call quality is normally usable. I travel frequently. Sometimes her calls are HD, sometimes not. But I'm more inclined to blame the towers for any inconsistencies in this regards than her phone.

We recently installed Waze on all 3 apps. Today the Mrs. and my niece did some shopping while I stayed home. According to Waze, my niece was logged in but my wife hadn't been since she left our home wifi. My niece did a side by side comparison of the maps as they drove down the road. According to her, the maps updated consistently and looked the same on both phones (she has a note 2). I can't explain this behavior. I would have thought that either she wouldn't be logged in and the maps wouldn't update, or she would be logged in and maps would update. As previously stated, with its current behavior, the phone is unusable for how she uses it.

I'm not concerned about the phone being outdated as long as it runs the software. I have 2 unopened Motorola Admirals here as well as 2 used ones, was very happy with them, but some of the streaming software I run no longer works on 2.3.5 (thanks Android!), so I made the switch to the Galaxys.

As for if you're a Sprint employee, a general philosophy I live by is that I'm more concerned with the quality of the advice than its source.

I'll be away from the computer for a couple of days. If you reply, please don't expect an immediate response.

Highlighted
GrandMaster

the phone you have is the non spark version. the spark version has a T in there. for example the software would say something like this one. L720TVPECOF1

notice the T? T stands for tri band. if it doesnt contain that T then its the original S4. so technically she can still do talk and surf the web if connected to LTE..well IF she can connect to LTE lol.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Ok. You need to tell the phone that. When it boots, first the Sprint logo splash screen appears for a few seconds, then the Sprint Spark splash screen appears. I'm not going to get into a debate about Spark or not. Personally I see no need for access speeds that high for personal use other than that it's a selling tool, "We have the fastest speeds!". Although you may have hit on part of the problem. The firmware may think the phone is a Spark phone and trying to access that feature. ???

The Mrs. and I made a decision over the weekend. She has no tolerance for stupid, and she's not a computer geek. Her attitude is that if the app/program/whatever doesn't work when she runs it / pushes the button / clicks on the URL, it's worthless. With Sprint telling us that the phone is fine, she informed me that she's done with any Note 4. I picked up two Note 5s yesterday. In areas where the Note 4 was only getting 1 to 2 bars, we're getting 4+ on the Note 5s. I'm going to call Samsung after I finish this response to see if they can do anything with the Note 4. If they can, the kid will get it when her Note 2 dies. And we're switching to Best Buy's insurance coverage for the phones. I can walk in there, hand them the phone, and they'll take it from there. I don't have to deal with 3 separate entities - the local Sprint store, the manufacturer, or asurian.

Thanks for your comments, fireguy_6364. You've been a great help!

Highlighted
GrandMaster

no worries. personally the only time i would use asurion is if the phone explodes on me, gets lost or stolen..anything else i would find a different route. not worth it to me.

ah..theres where im getting mixed up. the S4 is the one that ran the T in their updates so you knew which device it was going on..non spark and spark..youre posting in the S4 forum not the Note 4 forum lol. in someones brilliance they came out with the regular S4...then later on came out with the spark version of it..and the S3...more than likely to help confuse the tar out of people.

Samsung Galaxy Note 4

thats the area for that phone.

Highlighted
Journeyman

My apologies about being in the wrong forum. We've had both the S4 and the Note 4. You'd think I'd know the difference. As a follow up, Samsung repaired the Note 4 and wiped it. The invoice stated that they replaced a couple of components but didn't give specifics other than some numbers that don't mean anything to me. I had already purchased two Note 5's, so we have no reason to fire it up and try it out for now. Best wishes. -G

Highlighted
GrandMaster

sweet. as long as its working again youre good to go with a new to someone phone or a good working back up device.

and the wrong forum deal happens more often than you would think lol.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat