cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S® 4 available April 27 for $249.99, Pre-order on April 18

Highlighted
Wizard

Samsung Galaxy S® 4 available April 27 for $249.99, Pre-order on April 18

Samsung Galaxy S® 4 (16GB version) will be available beginning Saturday, April 27, for $249.99 (excluding taxes) with a new line or eligible upgrade and two-year service agreement. For a limited time only, new customers who switch their phone number to Sprint from another carrier will receive an additional $100 instant credit, reducing the price of Galaxy S 4 to $149.99. Galaxy S4 will be available at Sprint Stores, Sprint Business Sales, Telesales (1-800-SPRINT1) and Web Sales (www.sprint.com). It will be available in two colors – White Frost and Black Mist.

Pre-order for Galaxy S 4 will open on Thursday, April 18, at www.sprint.com/galaxys4, while supplies last.

See the full Social Media release  here.

19 REPLIES 19
Highlighted
Journeyman

Dronak wrote:

Edit:  While it's true T-Mobile has the S4 for $150 up front, you then have to pay $20 a month for the next 24 months to pay off the phone.  I think Sprint and other carriers are charging more up front, but less per month.  I'm not sure exactly how the different carriers stack up on price because of that.

WIth sprints cheapest plan for this phone, you pay $80 a month, which only includes 450 minutes.

TMobile has a $50 a month fully unlimited plan, plus their data rates are a lot faster. Add this phone, and you still pay $10 less than sprint.

$100 less up front, $10 less per month, means you save $340 over two years. And you get unlimited minutes. Also add sprints activation fee, $36, for a total of $376 more than tmobile.

Want unlimited minutes on sprint? Add $30 per month, costing you an extra $720 per year, making your total cost $1096 more than tmobile. And you still have sprints notoriously slow data.

When you do the math, you can see sprint for the ripoff it really is.

Highlighted
Journeyman

T-mobile is faster in some cases....and that's if you get coverage in your area. Their coverage is WEAK. Sprint blows it out of the water. If you travel, stay away from T-mobile. Having said that, if T-mobile expands their coverage, their plans will certainly rival Sprint's, but in order to expand coverage, they will have to wait a very long time, or start charging customers more so they can afford to do what it takes to get coverage in more areas. They have a lot of ground to cover.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Actually their coverage has improved dramatically since the AT&T deal fell through. They got 4 billion dollars out of that and apparently spent it all on increasing their coverage, which also included adding the 1700Mhz band recently to support global UMTS devices (so e.g. ipad can get 3g.) Over the last year they've added a lot of coverage. Also, their spectrum holdings already make sprint's look tiny, so their future growth possibilities are MUCH better as well (more bandwidth for a larger number of devices.)

Sprint on the other hand is stagnating. Here's why: They are in debt to their ears have to resort to nickel and diming their customers just to stay afloat. In sprint's most recent quarterly earnings report, they admitted that they are hemmhoraging customers, but that their existing customers on average now pay $2 and some change more per month - this is due to e.g. adding extra small billing fees, making activation fees virtually impossible to circumvent, and increasing the up front cost of phones - like what this thread is about.

Highlighted
Journeyman

People can feel free to leave if your that dissatisfied with Sprint, no one is making you stay or buy anything.

Pre-order sold out! Our Samsung Galaxy S® 4 pre-order inventory has been spoken for. Check back on 4/27 for the national launch.

I guess not such a bad deal for many.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Nevermind the fact that their LTE is still in its infancy and we have no idea how well it'll work. I got caught up in to the WiMax disaster. Won't fool me again.

Highlighted
Journeyman

rkkeller88 wrote:

People can feel free to leave if your that dissatisfied with Sprint, no one is making you stay or buy anything.

Pre-order sold out! Our Samsung Galaxy S® 4 pre-order inventory has been spoken for. Check back on 4/27 for the national launch.

I guess not such a bad deal for many.

What you're seeing there is a symptom of more people wanting the phone than are actually available, price notwithstanding. Until a few months ago, the Nexus 4 supply was so low that it was basically impossible to find. People were going out of their way to get ahold of them, even at retailers which were selling them at $200 above MSRP.

It could simply be that sprint never had a large stock to begin with as well and in fact had a small supply, which isn't unheard of.

Highlighted
Journeyman

zendaddy wrote:

Nevermind the fact that their LTE is still in its infancy and we have no idea how well it'll work. I got caught up in to the WiMax disaster. Won't fool me again.

Tmobile LTE is already proving to be more reliable than Sprint LTE, as was called out by a former Sprint employee, who said that Sprint's LTE rollout more closely resembled what a carrier normally does as a soft launch, e.g. has lots of glaringly large dead zones. Not as big as a coverage area yet, granted.

You don't really need LTE on tmobile anyways though, and in fact would benefit from staying with HSPA. HSPA (all variants) use very little energy because the WCDMA technology is well developed and the radio is very efficient. LTE's OFDMA modulation is rather new, and is a battery drainer. LTE is the future in that long term (hence the name) it can scale much further, however for the time being it doesn't have a significant speed advantage over HSPA42 to justify the reduced battery lifespan, IMO.

Journeyman

Sprint won't complete their network rebuild until end of 2014.  By then, will likely be a great network, and will still be before 2 years from now, when our next upgrade will be available.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat