Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S4 - Automatically Shuts Itself Off

Highlighted
Journeyman

Samsung Galaxy S4 - Automatically Shuts Itself Off

Hi,

I purchased a new Galaxy S4 less than 3 weeks ago, it has no physical or water damage, and it has begun to simply shut itself off whenever it feels like it. Yesterday, it shut off 5 times. This monring it has already shut off twice.

This is not an app freezing, it's the entire phone shutting down. It's happened while I was in a few different apps, as well as when it was simply in my pocket. This phone is brand new, so this is quite disappointing. Please advise.

Thank you.

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Patron

Re: Samsung Galaxy S4 - Automatically Shuts Itself Off

Have you download the new MR update. Please try that and let me know if this helps with the issue. If it doesn't I would advise goign to a local Sprint Service and Repair Store for further assistance. I hope this helps!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I don't know what an MR update is. Under Settings, System Update, my PRL, Profile, Samsung software, and firmware are up to date.

I just got this phone & it hasn't been on the market very long, so it's asinine that I'd have to update anything so that I could actually use my phone. Now apps won't work, the smart scroll based on my eyes literally does nothing, phone gets uncomfortably hot, eyc. I don't understand how Samsung is able to turn out such a broken product.

Highlighted
Sprint Product Ambassador

Charlessss - The problems you are describing sound app related. Apps can cause many issues with a phone from running hot to rebooting. I have had what you described happen one of my phones and resolution was uninstalling a game I installed. The game was running constantly in the background making my hot and running my battery down. I had to uninstall a couple of other apps before I was able to find the culprit causing the problem.

I could had performed a reset, although a reset generally re-installs all my apps back on the phone depending on Google settings.

If you are unable to visit one of our Sprint Service and Repair centers in your area, you can try a couple of things:

1. Uninstall most recently installed apps one at a time to find one causing the problem
  2. Perform Factory Data Reset (remember to back everything up first): Settings> Accounts> Backup and Reset> Factory data reset

Please let us know if this helps.

Thanks,

Blue

Disclaimer: I am NOT employed by Sprint, so If my reply helped or answered your question, PLEASE mark it as solved.
Highlighted
Journeyman

Thank you for your thorough reply, Blue. I don't have any games on my device, and I only download established apps with widespread use to try to avoid these issues.

I have the "Active Applications" widget turned on, and the only apps that are consistently turned on are Android Weather and Google Play Music (which I never use). I turn off the Music app, and it's back on 10 minutes later. This Google app is also part of the junk apps that come pre-loaded and I can't get rid of. How do I get rid of all those junk apps? (Samsung Hub, Google Music always running, Lumen Toolbar, etc.)

I guess I'm not going to get any answers that I'd like to hear, as I don't want to have to factory reset my phone, take it to a repair shop, or do personal investigations every few weeks over the next couple years just to have a functioning device.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I just had the same problem with a new S4.I did go as far as a factory reset and that did not fix the issue. I took it back to the Sprint store even with a broken phone had to pay the restock fee and then had to fight with customer service to get the restock fee refunded. After the phone was swapped out no more random restarts and power downs even with the same apps installed. The only problem is the data speeds are not even half what the other s4 had so now i guess we get to go around and around with sprint today.. I think at this point i am done with Samsung for the phone issue, and done with Sprint for having so much trouble getting a new phone.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat