cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung galaxy S4 group conversation text messages not working properly

Master

Re: Samsung galaxy S4 group conversation text messages not working properly

Teachforlife,

I rarely do the updates to my device until i read what they are to fixing. Sometimes the updates conflict with the phone and some of the downloads and causes problems. I normally wait for a few months to read all the problems that people are having before I update that's just me personally. I spoke with a couple of my colleagues that have the S4 and they stated they had deleted all 3rd party messaging apps on the phone then cleared out all text and the cache. Once this was done powered down the phone for a minute or so and it worked.

Thanks,

Sequoyah
Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

Can someone tell me how to get the default messaging app on the S4 upgraded to version 4.3?  My sister has the same phone as I do and while I have the same problems listed above (and same settings screens) she doesn't have the issues and has a separate tab on group messages and different setting options..  The only difference we could find is that my messaging version is 4,2 and hers is 4.3.  Can someone help on this>  I already tried the reset..

Master

pkutzli

It sounds like your phone version hasn't updated yet. You can go to settings; system updates and check for a firmware update in your phone. If it's not there yet, you will need to wait for it to be pushed to your phone.

Melyssa
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

and how long will it be till that happens????

Master

pkutzli - No set date for when it will be coming to your phone. Please, keep updated at sprint.com/newsroom.

Kenneisha
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

My wife changed her phone from a Galaxy 2 to a 4. She can receive texts, but can't send any. Best Buy says it not the phone. Any ideas?

Jeremy - trying to make wife happy again!!!

Master

DeltaPowerSystems1 – When your wife tries to send a text message are there any error message? I'd be more than happy to take a look into your coverage to see if that is causing the problems. Can you please provide cross streets and zip code? Please let me know. –AJ Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Handcent didn't work for me (had the same blank bubbles),  but Textra did.  After I loaded it all of the prior blank messages I had became visible which was a bonus I had not expected....and kind of weird.  Does that mean the messages are actually on the phone, but not visible in the default app or Handcent?  If so, sure seems like that should be an easy fix for Sprint/Samsung.

FYI - I have an S4 running Android 4.4.2

Journeyman

I have a Galaxy S3 with the same group messaging problem. In fact, I am on my FOURTH S3 (Because every refurbished phone Sprint sends me has some problem or other and they have to keep replacing them.) and the group messaging hasn't worked on ANY of them.

Yes, my settings are correct. Yes, I have all the latest updates. No, resetting the network or even hard resetting does not help. I have the exact same problem with the stock messaging app and Chomp SMS.

Here are the problems - 1) I can send group text messages and the recipients will see them as a group text. However, if they reply to the group it will come as an individual text and not as part of the group thread I started. 2) If anyone sends a group text I do not receive it as a group text, I receive it as an individual text message from that user. If any of the other recipients reply to the group message I will get their reply but it will be an individual text as if they were only replying to me.

So basically the only time group messaging works is I am able to initiate a group text message. But I cannot receive/reply to group text messages.

It does not matter what type of phone or what network anyone else is on. It simply DOES NOT WORK.

Nice to see that a Sprint representative has been active in this thread but it is clear that this person does not have the solution. As far as I can tell this is a problem on the Sprint network. Is there anyone with a S3 that can receive group messages on Sprint? Heck, it sounds like this doesn't even work right on the S4. My guess is the same problem exists on the S5 for Sprint users.

Journeyman

I had the problem with being able to receive group messages from everybody except from my friend that had an HTC One. I have the Samsung Galaxy S5. I downloaded Textra and it seems to have solved the problem. It's really easy to download and make as the default messenger and even transfers over all of your stored texts.

Journeyman

I'm in a group chat with 3 other users. We all have either the Galaxy S4 or Note 3. We each use a different carrier: Sprint, T-Mobile, AT&T and Verizon. We've had no issues with our group chat...messages and photo sharing. The Verizon user was using GO SMS but when she decided to revert back to stock texting, her replies are sent only to the last person who messaged and of course, outside of the group chat.

I'm having the same issue with another chat group. Two Verizon users on Galaxy S4 using stock texting and an AT&T iPhone user. I'm the only person getting replies outside the group from the Verizon users. The AT&T user sees as well as the Verizon users see everything within the chat.

Journeyman

What gives. Does Sprint hate Verizon?

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat