Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung galaxy S4 group conversation text messages not working properly

Journeyman

Samsung galaxy S4 group conversation text messages not working properly

I recently switched from the Iphone 4 to the Samsung Galaxy S4. With the Iphone, I was able to send and receive a group text message as a chat or conversation, where I would send and receive messages to and from the group members in one text box. With the S4, I noticed I am able to send a group text, but when I receive a response it usually comes back as an individual text message outside of the group text window. I noticed if it is a group text with iphone members, responses from iphone messages will stay within the group text window, while responses from other android phones will come to me as an individual text message. This becomes very irritating when you do not know if text messages are coming to you from a group or if a person is intentionally sending you a message. It also defeats the purpose of a group message since you have to go back and forth between the "group" and the individual responses you receive from the group members. 

I contacted Samsung on the issue, and they notified me that it is a service provider issue. So I contacted Sprint and they said they do not support group conversation text messaging for this device.

1) Does anybody know of a fix or work around for this issue?

2) What do we have to do as Sprint customers to make a push for these services? (This phone supports group conversation texts on AT&T as well as Verizon. The phone has the capability so that is unacceptable on Sprints part)

121 REPLIES 121
Master

mvitale81

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. 

From my understanding, this problem should have been corrected with the software updated. I see this post was created earlier in the month, is this still an issue? Or did you receive the update, and service as working to your liking? 

Please let us know.

Zena
Social Care Team

Journeyman

I  am also having the same problem on top of not being able to receive text messages from some iPhone users. I've done all the tricks like de-registering, having the people I do know who have an iPhone turn iMessage off as well as other things. I still can't receive messages from some iPhone users nor do I know everyone in my contacts that uses one. Very frustrating when you pay all that money for a phone.

Master

TCarblst,

Thanks for posting. I am sorry that you're reporting the inability to receive text messages from some iPhone users. Also, may you advise the device model your using. May you also advise how long have you been experiencing this issues? Lastly, since noticing that this issue is occurring, have you taken the device into a S&R center for additional assistance?

Thank You,

DePaul W.
Sprint Social Care Team 

Journeyman

When I send a group message, with the exception of one person who has an HTC One on Verizon's network, everyone's response shows up in the group message, but all of those are iPhones (5, 5c) and S4 on Sprint's network. The responses from the HTC One come as an individual and blank when responding to MMS.

Master

ZX-10Rider-

Greetings! Do you by chance know if the HTC One user has group messaging enabled? It sounds to me as though your device is setup correctly, but it could be the other user. I know you had stated that the HTC One is on Verizon's network, however I would assume the settings are more than likely identical. Try having the user follow the steps available via, http://eguides.sprint.com/support/eguides/htcone/index.html#htc_one_ug/send_a_group_message.html.

Let me know if this helps at all.

Regards,

William
Sprint Social Care Team 

Journeyman

I asked him last night, and he confirmed that group messaging was was checked. I will forward the e-guide to him though.

Journeyman

I have the same issue with incoming texts from an HTC phone. I can only see the message in the preview but when I open to the threaded conversation view it is blank.

Journeyman

Exactly. Is the HTC on Sprint or another carrier?

Journeyman

I hate group texts or as I know it phone orgies....but my S3 seems to support this.......no matter what brand or carrier of phone....

there is nothing like a group text with several peeps you dont know responding and having a cross conversation that keeps popping up on my phone....

Journeyman

No, the group texting still isn't working. I tried it today, when I sent the group message out each reply came under the individual's name so it wasn't a group conversation. I've been with Sprint a long time but it seems some things are regressing instead of progressing. I just purchased this s4 phone an I really like it but this need to be fixed with the group texting.

Journeyman

I too am very frustrated by this. I was sent a group message yesterday and I had to DOWNLOAD each response. They all came individually as well and I could not tell what order they were coming in. Some I do not think I ever saw because I would hit download and nothing would come up. I am very upset to now see this is just a sprint issue..

Community News

Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat