cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seeking workarounds for the bugs introduced by the last two OTA updates

Highlighted
Journeyman

Seeking workarounds for the bugs introduced by the last two OTA updates

My Galaxy S4 has been unstable since the OTA update pushed out at the end of 2013.  I have a loss of WiFi, daily random lockups, and frequent spontaneous reboots.  I have been following the discussion boards, and I am clearly not the only one experiencing this.  My phone is still under warranty,  I have the Sprint insurance policy, and I was able to demonstrate the problem at the Sprint Service center.  Despite this, Sprint has refused to replace/repair my phone unless I pay a $150 out of pocket expense.  Before I break my contract and switch to Verizon, I am making one last effort to salvage my phone.

I have attempted the following steps to no avail

1) Factory Reset (Both by myself and the Sprint Tech)

2) Hardware inspection (Performed by the Sprint Tech who found nothing)

3) Deleted all non-Sprint installed apps

4) Installed the KitKat OTA upgrade

5) Swapped SD cards

6) Switched WiFi Routers

7) Turned off WiFi completely (which had no impact on the lockups and reboots)

8) Tried multiple settings changes (based upon comments from others on the Sprint discussion boards, and the Sprint Service center)

My question is, have I missed any step?  What is there left to try?  The problem is clearly firmware related, since it only manifested these issues after an OTA update.  I did ask the Sprint Tech to uninstall the OTA update, but he refused.

I have been a Sprint customer for 15 years, but I am ready to jump ship tomorrow if a solution is not forthcoming.

6 REPLIES 6
Master

Re: Seeking workarounds for the bugs introduced by the last two OTA updates

Richthebiggeek,

We don't want to see you go! Looks like you have done a lot of troubleshooting. Thank you for the in depth post. Could you please PM us so we try and get your phone back to normal.

Bran
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

What is the best way to contact you directly?  I have called Sprint service, and end up in voice mail purgatory.

Master

Unfortunately with everything you have done, there is nothing left to do but replace the phone, this time, since the phone is under manufacturer warranty, try calling Samsung, if that works they might just send you a brand new phone, vs a refurbished via Assurion.

Clearly the phone is corrupted, and if a factory reset didn't fix it, there is nothing more you can do.

I come here trying to help people and I'm NOT employed by Sprint, so If my reply helped you or if you get an answer to your question from other users, PLEASE mark it as solved.
Master

Hey richthebiggeek,

Thank you for all of your efforts.

In order to contact us, please click the "Sprintcare" link and click the appropriate option to send us a private message.

Someone from our team will contact you in an effort to assist. Thanks!

Regards,

Giovanni R.

Sprint Social Care Team

Journeyman

I had a similar issue after an update. I was told that the update didn't update entirely and the install was corrupted. Just factory reset, now I am having issues getting everything restored. Very frustrating...

Master

MrsDKW We're sorry to hear that you are having trouble. Did you backup your phone prior to doing the reset? - Christopher S.
Sprint Social Care
Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat