cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint Web

Journeyman

Sprint Web

The latest Android update (to 4.3) adds a link in your bookmarks to "Sprint Web," which is apparently some sort of search-engine with results contaminated by what Sprint and Google decide is best for you, based on all the information about you that Google collects whether you like it or not

Maybe I'll use it, maybe not.

But whatever I decide, Sprint has already decided that I won't be able to modify that bookmark. Not only am I unable to delete the bookmark, I cannot even move it down in my bookmarks! Sprint has locked it in position at the top of the list.

Why, Sprint (and Google), is your default action always one of reducing my control over my device and its Apps??

--DK

9 REPLIES 9
Journeyman

Re: Sprint Web

Just download and use a different browser. There are many options in Google play

Highlighted
Wizard

lajeffk:

Thank you for reaching out to us via our forums.  If you still require our assistance, please do let us know.  If we do not hear back from you within 48 hours we will consider your inquiry closed. 

Jon H.

Sprint Social Care Team

Journeyman

Jon H, I would think that my request would be self-evident from my first post--but OK:

How do I delete the Bookmark for Sprint Web that Sprint has not just placed in my Bookmarks, but locked into position at the top of the Bookmarks list? At the absolute minimum, how do I unlock it so I can use the CHANGE ORDER function to drop it to the bottom of the bookmarks list?

Please do not reply with a description of Sprint Web or its many benefits. Sprint already forced me to research it when it welded that Bookmark into my list without notifying me or explaining what it was doing or why. I already know what it is and that I will never use it. I just want to delete the Bookmark or get it out of the way so I don't have to scroll past it to get to the Bookmarks I do want and use.

Thanks for your original response, and thanks in advance for your help.

--DK

Journeyman

Of course you are right, Cityw5, I could do that--but why should I have to?

Why should I have to go out of my way to escape an obstacle (however minor) that Sprint has introduced to my workflow due to its pathological need to try to control--and thus monetize--every molecule of my experience with my device?

It's yet another case of the disorder that seems to be coded into the DNA of almost every tech company: the inability to understand that features and capabilities, in general, should be opt-in, not opt-out (or in this case, no option at all).

And by the way (as long as I'm frothing at the mouth!), that lack of customer option comes after Sprint charges a one-time fee for the device, a not-inconsiderable monthly fee for its use, plus a gaggle of monthly "Sprint Surcharges," which it is careful to note are "not taxes or amounts we are required to collect from you by law" (not to mention unregulated), but rather "rates we choose to collect from you at our discretion to help defray certain costs." In nearly every other industry--except the airline and rental car businesses--those "certain costs" are correctly labeled "the costs of doing business," and while that cost is still ultimately paid by the customer, it's added to the calculus used to come up with the retail price, instead of being held off to the side and quietly added to your invoice every month so that the price of the service can be set and advertised at a dollar figure that is lower--and fictional.

And that's an example of another disorder that has infected the marketplace (most severely at the corporate level, but plenty of small businesses have it, too, probably because so far, consumers have not punished anybody for it): a cavalier disregard for honesty, not because the truth is necessarily horrible or toxic, but because honesty is only one of a range of marketing options, inherently no better or worse than any other option.

Thanks for your note

--DK

Master

lajeffk, 

Thank you for posting and reaching out to us in regards to your situation. Just to clarify, what web browser application are you working with? What device are you currently using? Furthermore, we understand how certain charges may cause some confusion. For more information on understanding additional fees such as taxes and surcharges please visit: http://bit.ly/19DRvvQ  

I hope you found that information helpful, I look forward to your response and looking into this matter further for you. 

Charles G. 

Sprint Social Care Team  

Journeyman

Hi Charles G:

Thanks for your reply.  Just to keep us on track, I was merely venting to another user about fees and charges. The issue I originally posted about at the top of this thread--and the subject of my reply to JonH of Sprint--is the Bookmark for "Sprint Web" that appeared in my Bookmarks after my Samsung Galaxy S4 was upgraded to version 4.3 of Android.

Here's the question:

How do I delete the Bookmark for Sprint Web that Sprint has not just placed in my Bookmarks, but locked into position at the top of the Bookmarks list? I am not going to use Sprint Web, so I'd like to delete the Bookmark, but at the absolute minimum, how do I unlock it so I can use the CHANGE ORDER function to drop it to the bottom of the bookmarks list?

I don't think any of the following is germane to my question, but just in case: my device is not rooted; I am using whatever browser comes as part of Android; all software and firmware are up to date; PRL and Profile are updated; there are no apps from outside of Google Play on the phone; the device itself is working normally.

Thanks in advance for your help.

--DK

Journeyman

Hmmm, anything get resolved?  Not to interrupt, or unnecessarily interject a quantum of discord into what clearly is a complex and confusing undertaking.  I mean, the removal of a Sprint installed bookmark?!  Whew, might as well request a Moonshot while you're at it.

I believe you are, unfortunately, merely casting stones into a void of apathy (however correct you may be, and I do believe you are indeed spot-on-correct).

The thread of connection between the originating request (remove bookmark), and the "Rant" fork, if you will, is still plainly visible and in play.  You've already answered the riddle in post number four; if I may quote, "...because so far, consumers have not punished anybody for it".  That is the logic of an individual, not one of the masses.  If the masses, that slow and ponderous leviathan of herd mentality, is willing to declare "I do not mind this wool across my eyes", then the practice of "monetizing molecules" shall proliferate.   Thus, I propose, is the ancillary motivation.

Journeyman

Having the same irritation with my Note 3, moronic companies aren't even intelligent enough to veil their interference,they're just promoting competitors apps.

Given the ignorance of the 2 provider responses so far, I'd just use an alternate browser and erase the use of the factory option.

GrandMaster

you could always just go with a nexus device and avoid all carrier stuff all together..if not then like everyone else youre stuck with bloatware and the like or just use a different browser.

youre also responding in a thread from about 2 years ago.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat