Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint says u can move apps to SD?

Journeyman

Sprint says u can move apps to SD?

Over on the sprint facebook page, a sprint rep posted instructions to move apps to SD on the S4:

Here are the instructions: First select APPS>MY FILES> ALL FILES> SD CARD0> ANDROID> DATA> SELECT apps you want to move to SD card> tap the icon in the upper right hand corner next to the trash can (Icon is three horizontal lines)> select MOVE> EXT SD CARD> ANDROID> DATA> MOVE HERE and these are the steps on how you can move your applications to the external SD card. Let me know if this helps - Aron B.

Has anyone tried this?  Does it actually work?  Or does it at least move data to the SD card, because that could at least help with memory issues with the 8gb S4 (that's what I call it )

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Master

Re: Sprint says u can move apps to SD?

That is correct, what he said. I tested it out.

What happens is, you move the actual app folder, and that works for the regular data too, which you could already do that, just by choosing where to save files, like downloaded files, pic and videos, etc.

I come here trying to help people and I'm NOT employed by Sprint, so If my reply helped you or if you get an answer to your question from other users, PLEASE mark it as solved.
Highlighted
Journeyman

cityw5 wrote:

Here are the instructions: First select APPS>MY FILES> ALL FILES> SD CARD0> ANDROID> DATA> SELECT apps you want to move to SD card> tap the icon in the upper right hand corner next to the trash can (Icon is three horizontal lines)> select MOVE> EXT SD CARD> ANDROID> DATA> MOVE HERE and these are the steps on how you can move your applications to the external SD card. Let me know if this helps - Aron B.

Read the posted instructions carefully, This moves something from the SD Android, Data Folder to the same place from which it was stored, select Android, Data

Now if in the first step you choose Device Storage, instead of SD Card, then Android Data, that would make sense, however, I do not find the numerous apps that I have downloaded in that folder?  In fact I do not find any of the apps I downloaded in any of the folders that show up under Device Storage.  It appears that only data is stored in these folders, however, I could be proven wrong.  If you move any of this data you app may not work.  In example I moved data for Real Racing to the SD card and when I went to pla the game, it just downloaded the info again and the data thzst had been built whiloe playing the game was not seen.  Therefore,  had to move the data back to the original location in order to remain at the level to which I had advanced.  Tread carefully. 

There are numerous threads on various forums including XDA which confirm that apps cannot be moved to the sd card unless the phone is Rooted.  This is a Jellybean restriction.

Highlighted
Wizard

cityw5

Thanks for reaching out. Samsung has just recently released software update JDQ39.L720VPUAMF9 If your device has already received and installed the update with the steps provided  by our sprint rep on Facebook you will be able to move the apps to the SD card.

You can verify if your device has been updated by doing the following:

1. 1. Unlock the phone.
  2. 2. Tap Home > Menu > Settings > More tab
  3. 3. Scroll down, and then tap About Device.
  4. 4. Scroll down to Baseband Version. Current version: JDQ39.L720VPUAMF9
  5. 5. Press Home to return to Home screen.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks

Josmary

Sprint Social Care Team

Community News

Our Community is currently set to Read Only due the pandemic's affect on our staffing .
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat