cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPSET WITH $250 for GALAXY S4 16gb

Highlighted
Journeyman

UPSET WITH $250 for GALAXY S4 16gb

THERES ALOT OF LOYAL CUSTOMERS TO SPRINT,AND NOW THERE IS ALOT OF UPSET CUSTOMERS and it seems that sprint really likes to push their customers to the limit. Never have I anticipated a phone release nearly as much as this one, I want to recomend to ANYONE ELSE WHO IS UPSET WITH PAYING $250 DO NOT PURCHARSE THROUGH THE CARRIER (SPRINT STORE) SEARCH THROUGH OTHER RETAILERS SUCH AS Walmart, AMAZON,or WiREFLY. REMEMBER ITS $250 PLUS THE $36 SERVICE FEE/ UPGRADE FEE/ INITIATION/ ACTIVATION FEE OR WHATEVER ELSE THEY WANT TO CALL IT ON YOUR FIRST MONTHS BILL!!!

I wouldnt't mind paying $250 so much IF IT CAME WITH A FREE S-VIEW CASE From SAMSUNG OR IT WERE THE 32GB!!!!!!

The whole charging Sprints LOYAL customers an EXTRA $50 than everyone else, is SIMPLY TO MAKE UP FOR THE $100 OFF NEW CUSTOMERS!!!

I BET SPRINT WILL LOWER IT TO $200 IF THEY DONT RECEIVE AS MANY PRE-ORDERS AS THEY THINK THEY'LL HAVE

BEST BET SO FAR IS  TO WAIT AND SEE IF WAL-MART WILL ALSO OFFER SPRINT VERSION OF THE S4 AS THEY ARE OFFERING ATT'S S4 @ $168 PRE-ORDER!!!!!!!

Message was edited by: dshoem01 - changed font

171 REPLIES 171
Journeyman

I also am VERY upset at the pricing for the Galaxy S4 for existing Sprint customers. They always made the new customer price and the upgrade price the same to attract people in which is something I could tolerate, even though I still think existing customers who upgrade should pay less. My family and I have been loyal customers for approximately 10 years. I stood in line for the HTC Evo 4g in June of 2010. The HTC Evo 4g is probably hands down one of the best phones I have ever owned and it's still going strong. However offering new customers $100 off while your existing and LOYAL customers have to pay more is just going too far. Sprint is showing NO RESPECT for their existing and LOYAL customers.

While we are on the subject of being unhappy with Sprint I will bring up another topic. I'm in the Dayton, Ohio market. We never got 4g even though Sprint promised for almost 2 and a half years that it is all set up they are just waiting to "flip the switch". I have been paying the Premium Data fee ($10 / month) in good faith hoping that would encourage Sprint to bring 4g to Dayton. Here it is 2013 and Dayton still never had 4g and LTE isn't looking any better. Let me state that every other major carrier in the area already has LTE active. So not only am I paying a Premium Data Fee when I really cannot get the full potential out of it; I'm still stuck chugging away at 3g.

I have been anxiously waiting for the Galaxy S4 to come to Sprint. When I finally recieved the news that it is going to be available for pre-order for $250 I was a little disappointed with the price but I was willing to pay because the Samsung Galaxy series seems to be the most sought after (Android) phone in the market. After reading that new customers get $100 off, I instantly blew up. Sprint if you don't want to lose a lot of loyal customers including myself, please pull your head out out of your a** and fix this.

P.S. Deploying LTE in Dayton, OH would be nice too.

Thanks to everyone for reading my rant.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Dear Sprint,

I think you just sealed the deal. I'm about to take my business elsewhere if you try to charge me $250 (PLUS A $36 ACTIVATION FEE?!) when you get the S4 in your stores. What a steaming crock of BS. You should be embarrassed. If you guys had 4G in the Akron/Canton, Ohio market I might think about staying. You don't though and you can't even give us a rough idea of when you're gonna make that happen. At least you guys are taking care of places like Homosassa Springs, Florida and Winona, Minnesota though. ROFL. I guess I'll have to get my 4G and cheaper S4 elsewhere. You guys are bums.

*ANOTHER DISAPPOINTED CUSTOMER*

Highlighted
Journeyman

have you considered how much MORE you'll end up paying in the long run by moving to another carrier? Is it really worth tossing your unlimited data and lower prices to save a mediocre amount of money on a one-time phone purchase?

You may want to do a little price comparing on rate plans and what you'll be gaining/losing by switching before you go do something silly like switching carriers because the other guy sells the same phone (that you will pay for ONE TIME) for less money.

Think about it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yeah, that's pretty much the camp that I'm in as well, but people who are considering loyalty vs bringing in new customers have a point. What they fail to realize is that Sprint is a business, and actually at first glance I think this is a very smart business practice. If you consider the fact that Sprint is the only unlimited data provider, this provides a anchor for customers like me. I'm not budging from Sprint over $50 when I constantly use data. At the same time, a lot of people won't defect over this just for the simple fact that they've been with Sprint and are comfortable with Sprint. While this likely won't cause a lot of defections, the potential is certainly there to bring in a BUNCH of new customers. The kicker is the $36 activation fee. New customers will have to pay this, existing Sprint customers will not (CantonOH_Needs4G was incorrect in stating this). Again, I understand and sympathize with the loyalty aspect. I've been with Sprint for 10 years, and I feel like I got the business end this particular time, but I'm not willing to switch to a carrier that does not provide unlimited data over $50. However, to those of you that data is not important to, make the switch if you like plans from other carriers and save yourself some money. I would at the very least heavily consider it if that were the case for me.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I've been a Sprint customer for 13 years, this has pushed me over the edge. I'll be switching and preordering elsewhere.  We have multiple phones up for upgrade so this extra charge adds up.  Moreover, the Sprint 4GLTE network speeds are a joke compared to the other major carriers, don't even mention that 3Gdata+voice cannot be used together.  Who wants unlimited if it slows to a crawl most parts of the day.  Have you checked your usage lately? I can switch to a limited plan elsewhere and end up with a lower bill even adding additional GB past my largest used month over the past 2 years.  Do a couple of google searches about network speed and reliability and voice quality, check rootmetrics then check limited plans elsewhere, it'll save you money too!

Highlighted
Journeyman

gmounts85 wrote:

Yeah, that's pretty much the camp that I'm in as well, but people who are considering loyalty vs bringing in new customers have a point. What they fail to realize is that Sprint is a business, and actually at first glance I think this is a very smart business practice. If you consider the fact that Sprint is the only unlimited data provider, this provides a anchor for customers like me. I'm not budging from Sprint over $50 when I constantly use data. At the same time, a lot of people won't defect over this just for the simple fact that they've been with Sprint and are comfortable with Sprint. While this likely won't cause a lot of defections, the potential is certainly there to bring in a BUNCH of new customers. The kicker is the $36 activation fee. New customers will have to pay this, existing Sprint customers will not (CantonOH_Needs4G was incorrect in stating this). Again, I understand and sympathize with the loyalty aspect. I've been with Sprint for 10 years, and I feel like I got the business end this particular time, but I'm not willing to switch to a carrier that does not provide unlimited data over $50. However, to those of you that data is not important to, make the switch if you like plans from other carriers and save yourself some money. I would at the very least heavily consider it if that were the case for me.

CantonOH_Needs4G was correct. I just went through the pre-order process to verify and they are charging us the $36 activation fee in addition to the $250....

Highlighted
Journeyman

I may stand corrected here...I actually pre-ordered and completed checkout and was not charged the fee, however, it appears as though they are adding it to the first bill. Pretty ridiculous. I don't see the need for an activation fee and I will be calling Sprint to get that removed.

Highlighted
Journeyman

when you call, kindly infrom them that NONE of us, in fact, want to pay their activation fee. Oh, and see if they realize we don't like being charged for the $50 marketing stunt to get new customers (phone actually costs $199; they overcharge current customers $50 to bring them to $249 so they can offer new customers a $50 discount to make the GS4 come in at $149). If they want to offer new sprint customers a deal, thats fine, but don't make me pay for it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Valid complaints. It does feel like they don't reward loyalty, but I think the truth of the matter is that they offer the best plans, and I guess I kind of feel like that rewards loyalty to a certain degree. I also have no complaint about my coverage like some do, but again, Sprint is up there as far as coverage goes. I don't think they are the best, but I saw a site (I can't remember where, and I apologize for that) that ranked them 2nd or 3rd in coverage. If they don't give you great coverage, and if you don't need unlimited data, it would be hard for me to rationalize paying extra $50+ for new phones.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks THOMASWILLARD396, I had not even considered that other carriers have different plans and pricing. That had completely escaped me. Totally.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@ gmounts85 - Good luck getting that $36 fee removed. I had an LG Optimus G on the counter at a sprint store 2 months ago when my contract ran out and was actually signing things, and then when I noticed that the Sprint store employee was moving at 100 miles per hour I decided to slow things down and ask if I was going to incur any additional charges or if anything was going to change on my bill. THAT was when they told me I would see a $36 "activation fee" on my next bill (kind of like how they charged gmounts85 without even mentioning it - SHADY). I told them I've already had multiple contracts and never had to pay this before, so why would I pay to have them activate a new phone when I'm paying for the phone AND signing another contract? Their response was that as employees they have to pay the fee too and that they CANNOT waive it. Then one employee became very condescending and told me I could try calling customer service to get it waived (I guess he was unwilling to make that call for me?), so I left the phone on the counter and walked out. When I called customer service the guy I talked to said he had to pay it too and that he couldn't do anything for me. Even when I told him I would cancel my service with them then and there. He just apologized for the situation and offered to pass me over to a person who could help me get my service shut off. Unreal.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Actually, on T-Mobile I would pay $120 per month for unlimited 4g on two phones. No throttling either. Their new "uncarrier" model is very tempting. As soon as you pay off the phone, your monthly bill goes down, and you are free to get any new phone at any time.

My contract has been up with sprint for a couple months. Just upgraded my wife to an iphone 5 on sprint (which is compatible with T-Mobile. Even with paying $350 to terminate her contract I will save over $500 over the course of 2 years on T-Mobile.

I have been frustrated with Sprint for awhile. First, their coverage is subpar. Second, they continually do stuff like this that is a slap in the face to existing customers. I don't mind paying the regular price (although I agree that loyal customers should pay less), but paying more for a phone than EVERY OTHER CARRIER is ridiculous.

Sprint no longer has the "unlimited" carrot to dangle anymore. If this price doesn't change before launch I will switch.

I am probably going to go with the T-Mobile $100 for two lines and 2.5 GB data (which is 4g coverage for 2.5GB and throttled after that, still no overages and probably can't be worse than Sprint's 3G coverage which is what I usually have anyway). If I hit the 2.5 GB limit then I will just bump it up to the $120 unlimited 4g plan.

I've been a loyal customer on Sprint for over 6 years, paying every bill on time, putting up with subpar service, waiting forever for updates. My loyalty has its limits, and worst case scenario is that if T-Mobile isn't good then I just switch back to sprint as a "new customer" that they will love to give an awesome discount.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat