Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updates for galaxy s4 sph-L720?

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

Updates for galaxy s4 sph-L720?

Anything in the pipeline about future software updates for the galaxy s4? Not the triband.

23 REPLIES 23
Master

Re: Updates for galaxy s4 sph-L720?

markedurden,

Thank you for reaching out to us via Sprint Community. As of now, we don't have any specific information regarding this, but you can always stay updated by visiting sprint.com/newsroom. Please voice all other questions or concerns. - Joseph
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Oh man..the pipeline and rumor-mill are FULL of information about the KitKat version 4.4.4 being released by Sprint for our regular S4  before the end of this year, and the next major update, called the Android Lollipop (version 5.0), arriving in the first quarter of 2015.

Just go to Google News search, and type in the words:  Sprint S4 Update.   I do this almost daily.  Latest scuttlebutt today is that the Sprint S4 "Mini" handset is receiving KitKat version 4.4.4. this week.  If true, I don't think we'll be far behind.  I'm really looking forward to the capability of taking a picture in the blink of an eye, without having to tap on the camera icon first.

-Allen

Journeyman

AT&T just released 4.4.4 for S4s:

AT&T rolls out 4.4.4 update to Galaxy S4; brings Knox 2.0 | Android Central

Sprint? Oh, right; no information

GrandMaster

more than likely the tri band version of the S4 will get it before you guys do though. at least it will be a sign that its coming soon though if they get it

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Master

kraxler  

Thank you for posting, any announcements regarding software updates can be found by visiting Sprint.com, click community then select your device forum.

Duane

Sprint Social Care

GrandMaster

correct...in this forum

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Looks like the S5 is in the middle of getting the 4.4.4 update:

Sprint's Samsung Galaxy S5 gets Android 4.4.4

Journeyman

So my question is this. The S4 came before the S5 yet sprint decides to update the S5 and yet S4 users have a phone plagued with bugs for over 6 months. I mean even ATT updated their S4 over a week ago. What the heck is sprint doing?

Master

ryanlayfield1980 -

We apologize for any inconvenience this is causing you. We are working swiftly to get the updates out to all the devices. Please be patient with us.

- JaSherai
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Ryan,

If you have been a SPRINT customer for at least 5 years, you've seen that the company does not use the FIFO (First In First Out) method for introducing updates.  Instead, it's LIFO...their latest "flagship" devices get the updates and upgrades first.  Sad, but true.

If it wasn't for SPRINT being the only major carrier with 100% Unlimited data included in the plan, I would have switched to AT&T a couple years ago.  AT&T generally uses FIFO for updating their customers' phones, and their voice & data network is superior in penetrating buildings and in rural areas.

However, SPRINT's Unlimited Voice and Data (at least on the Family plan) trump AT&T's rip-off data charges, and the deceptive manner in which they accumulate and impose these charges.  Visit the AT&T forum and you'll see what I mean.  Verizon is even WORSE!  This is one less thing to worry about in this hectic life.

-Allen

Journeyman

My issue is this. My phone was running 4.4.3 then got pushed back to 4.4.2 then 6 months ago 4.4.4 was released. To pour salt in the wound so to speak a competitor rolls out the update on their network then on the sprint network the S5 gets the update ahead of the phone that came out before it. Plus Samsung is talking releasing 5.0 in first quarter of 2015. My thing is this. 4.4.2 has bugs that have been resolved yet we are being made to wait for extended period of time to get the resolution or basically talked into buying the S5 to get treated to the latest upgrades.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat