cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S5 Sport

2 Comments

Android is the best.

It lets you load all of your favorite apps, in any way you want, using any widgets you want, to look mostly however you like.  There are thousands... maybe even millions of apps that can be loaded to your device, and Android let's YOU customize in an infinite number of ways.

The toolbar.jpg

So what happens when widgets don't fit anymore?  We just move them to another screen.  But what if they move because they are now too big, or too fancy, or they don't fit on my 4x4 grid on my main home screen?  Well then my favorite apps move to a different screen, and I have to swipe, and it takes more time, and I have to remember which screen it's on. androidproblems firstworldproblems

I **WISH** I could have my own "shortcut button" that I can access from anywhere on my phone, regardless of what app I'm using.

The button.jpg

WISH GRANTED!

Say hello to my little friend - the Toolbox.  It's a customize-able shortcut menu that floats on most screens you have on your sgs5sport.  I say most because I've noticed that on apps that do video playback, it does not stay on top.  But that's ONLY during playback.  Otherwise, it's always there.

THE GOOD: It can be fully customized.  Any app that is in your app tray can be launched from this menu.  I currently have Calculator, Camera, Chrome, Hangouts, and Tweetcaster.  If you want to replace with other apps, it's very simple to do.  Howto Edit 1.jpgYou can long-press on the button and drag it to the edit option at the top of the screen, or you can edit it from its own menu in Settings.  It can also be moved anywhere on your screen.  So if you find you use one corner more or less, you can move the button so that it doesn't clutter an area where you do most of your work.  AND... it's always on.  This is the good AND the bad with this shortcut option.Screenshot_2014-09-12-12-26-44.png

THE BAD: If you have bratwursts for fingers, you will find that you accidentally open the toolbox A LOT. It's also ALWAYS OPEN, so unless you turn it off, it will always be on your screen.  This can be easily remedied by turning the Toolbox option OFF in the Notifications bar.  You'll also find that the shortcuts actually launch the application that it's associated with, so unlike some of the sleeker widgets that come with certain apps, this is literally a tray of shortcuts to LAUNCH... no pop-up widgets... no floaty hands-free features... just a launcher.

Why is this such a nifty feature?

I, for one, have developed an attention span that doesn't span much more than the 8 hours in any one work day.  I am constantly bouncing between new apps, features, utilities, and functions.  With that in mind, it's really easy for me to throw my favorite app of the day in this Toolbox, and remove the calculator or the browser, knowing that I can launch those apps either when I absolutely have to or through the Multi-Window bar that is also present on the sgs5sport

Hope you all enjoy the phone!  It really is a great piece of hardware!

D

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.

0 Comments

Over the past five weeks I have been using the awesome S5 sport to help me track my fitness goals and make sure I am staying on track with my eating habits. One of the hot new accessory categories is wearable devices. One of the reason they have become so popular is because they help track your steps and many can give you your heart rate within a few seconds. I have used three different devices over the past few weeks to see which one worked best with the S5 Sport.

fitbit-flex-xl.jpg

Fitbit Flex – I have had my Fitbit Flex since the day it came out. The Fitbit app is easy to use and can sync with MyFitnessPal and many other exercise apps like Endomondo or Runkeeper Pro. Setting it up on the S5 Sport was as easy as downloading the app and connecting through Bluetooth. For the first two weeks I wore the device both day and night. It kept track of my sleep and my steps through the day. One of the best features of it are the lights that show you your progress. If you are away from your phone you can tap on the band and get a good idea of your progress. When you hit your goal the Fitbit gives you a lightshow to let you know. Using it with the S5 was extremely easy and the battery lasted about a week which is important to me because it meant that I didn’t have to keep taking it on and off daily to recharge.

samsung-galaxy-gear-fit-sam-gfitb-j2.jpg

Galaxy Gear Fit – For the second two weeks of the challenge I was using the Gear Fit. The Gear Fit will only work with a Samsung phone because you have to download the Fit manager from the Samsung App store. When you download the app it begins by looking for your Fit and it will pair it up very quickly. The best part about this device is that it has an awesome screen that shows you the time, tells you when you are getting calls or other configurable notifications, and takes your heart rate. After each run I was able to get my heart rate directly from the Gear Fit and it kept track of my progress with S Health. The battery for the Fit lasted about two to three days so there was a need to charge it more but it was not much of an issue since it didn’t do a great job of tracking sleep. My favorite part about the Fit was being able to get notifications without picking up your phone all of the time. If I was working out and got a message from my wife I could easily read it without stopping.

up24-spring-colors-hires-007-820x420.jpg

Jawbone Up 24 – For the last week I have been using the Up 24. It connects the same way as the Flex by downloading an app to your device and syncing it up via Bluetooth. The Up 24 looks the best out of the three devices in my opinion. It looks like you are wearing some type of bracelet and it looks good for both men and women. The bad part about the Up 24 is that there is not a display so you have to look at your phone all the time to get the latest update on your progress. The device lasts about a week with one charge and it can also keep track of sleep and give you a detailed report of your sleeping patterns. The Up 24 app is by far the best in terms of motivation and design. It gives you little tips and tricks and provides humor along the way.

There are now a bunch of new choices for wearable devices with the introduction of Android Wear. If you strictly want a band to track fitness I would suggest the Fitbit or Up 24 because they don’t bring notifications from your phone and they last a lot longer with one charge. All of the devices I listed on this blog are available on Sprint.com and in retail stores.

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.

0 Comments

inline_618x306_sprint_your_way_to_fitness.jpg

In my previous fitness blog I gave a little background about my fitness journey with smartphones and some of the apps that I had been using on other devices. The best part about the S5 Sport is that it makes it easy for those who are new to the world of health and exercise and to those who have a comprehensive background on it. With Sprint Fit Live everything you need on your phone from S Health to MapMyFitness are just one click away. Here are some impressions of the new apps that I started to use and how they worked compared to some of the old apps that I had on other phones.

MapMyFitness MVP vs. Endomondo Pro – Endomondo was my go to app for the past three years. I paid for the Pro subscription to have access to training plans, fitness tests, and to be able to connect with friends and family back in Colorado. The GPS features and mapping were always accurate and it was always challenging me to take it to the next level. Prior to using the S5 Sport I was happy with Endomondo so I never looked at any other fitness tracking tools. MapMyFitness has a basic free mode that allows you to track your workout and see a history but S5 Sport users get 12 months free MVP access. One of the coolest features is the Live Location Tracking. If you want to compete with friends or just show off your fitness skills you can track your friends and have them track you if they have the app. There are also cool features like audio coaching and interval training that really help you kick up your game to the next level if you are stuck or having a hard time. If you get an S5 Sport I suggest you sign up for your free trial and really test it out.

Spotify – I have been using Spotify since it came to the United States a few years ago. Sprint offers many promotions to try the premium version out for free. What’s great about it is that the app allows you to listen to a radio style program like Pandora, but you can also search for just about any song or album you want and customize your playlists. You can browse other users’ playlists to find new songs or create motivation. I have four separate workout playlists that I use depending on the type of workout I am going to do. I often will search other workout playlists from friends or strangers and give it a try to see how it helps my motivation. One of my favorite features with Spotify is the ability to download a playlist so you can use it offline. I sometimes go running in the woods here in Georgia. If there are areas where I do not get a good signal the music never stops playing. Spotify is pre-loaded on the S5 Sport and ready to use under Sprint Fit Live.

S Health vs. My Fitness Pal – S Health is another great fitness application that comes pre-loaded on the S5 Sport. On this app you can track your steps, get your heart rate, track food, and keep track of weight. Samsung has been updating it frequently to get it up to par with other fitness applications but a lot of the work is still manual. My Fitness Pal syncs up to fitness wearables, keeps track of tons of restaurant food calories, allows you to scan barcodes to enter items, and has a bunch of features that keep it at the top of its game. S Health can do some of these basic features but it still has a long way to go if it wants to be considered the best health app out there. Over the past two weeks I put info in both S Health and My Fitness Pal and I can say that I would probably still continue to use My Fitness Pal moving forward.

The awesome part about this fitness experiment with the S5 Sport is that it has allowed me to use apps that I would not have previously. Map My Fitness is a great example of a tool that has a ton of features and is extremely useful for fitness beginners and fanatics. The best part is that you can try all of the apps that I mentioned in this blog for free (and some are always free like S Health and MyFitnessPal). What other fitness apps do you use with your smartphone?

0 Comments

blue.png

red.png

samsung-galaxy-gear-fit-sam-gfitb-j2.jpg

The S5 Sport has really shown that all the praise and hype given to Samsung is worth it. Over the years, I have been given the opportunity to try out all the major brands, I can officially say that Samsung has moved their way up to the top of my list. The S5 sport brings a little something extra to the table than that of a normal S5. The S5 allows me to track and record daily activities and helps me stay on track with my die and exercise and the water proof rating allows me to take my phone anywhere.  Pairing this phone with a Gear Fit makes it even better,  I wasn't sure a wearable was something I would like, but im hooked.  Having the ability to get notifications on my wrist is a big help,  when your phone is in your pocket and you cant hear it or in another room the gear fit will tell me if im getting a call or a text.  This phone is a great phone the hardware is top notice and the software is too.  if your looking for a phone to do it all, and with stand the rain grab an S5 Sport!

Thanks for reading

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. sprintemployee

0 Comments

This weekend was a great weekend, nice and relaxing and we spent some time with five, out of the nine, nieces and nephews (ages 9 - 3 yrs old). We were at my sister-in-laws house

and I brought over some goodies:

S5.PNG

HKOS.PNG

ADJ.PNG

Between the three of these it's a mobile entertainment center and tons of fun. Party in a box.

Having the S5 and the HKOS alone are fun but adding a Laser Projector that will project upto 200 lasers really adds to the experience. All of the kids had a blast, we played music TinkerBell to Frozen and the "Everything is awesome" song from The Lego Mov

What's great is the Laser Projector is on amazon is only runs about 80 bucks and some times better when they have sales. Here's a brief promo video on it.

Link

This is definitely a lot of fun and we will get lots of mileage out of as it's great for parties of any type and everything is really portable. There is a microphone on the back of the Laser Projector and we just set it near the speaker and set the Audio mode and let the kids have their dance party...

Score one for the Aunt and Uncle this weekend :-)

-Your Sprint Product Ambassador Team-

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. sprintemployee

0 Comments

Screenshot_2014-09-05-16-20-35.pngOver the last few years, users have gotten used toScreenshot_2014-09-05-15-48-15.png the ability to customize their mobile phones to fit their own personal lifestyles.  On the other side, OEM's have moved away from loading a ton of "bloatware" on their devices so that users don't feel overwhelmed with the OEM's or carriers agenda, and even more importantly, to free up memory for the ability to load more apps that are unique to the preferences of each individual user.

On the other side, OEM's have continually taken stabs at partnerships with content providers - music partnerships, deals with sports leagues, even deals with vendors and social media content providers - to give their end users a very targeted, specific experience.  A lot of times these partnerships fail because the focus turns to what users DON'T need, and the device becomes a whipping boy or catalyst to bash the misdirected intentions of the OEM or carrier.

The Samsung Galaxy S5 Sport fits that niche of devices that are "specific" to a certain lifestyle.  Users will say that it's another OEM and content provider partnership will will result in a LOT of software which doesn't get used on the handset.  And I will say this, if you are looking for something that is a clean, unloaded, "pure-Android" type of experience, then the SGS5 Sport is NOT for you.  If you have an active lifestyle, and do a LOT of outdoor activities, regardless of the weather, this device may well hit the sweetest of sweetspots for you outdoorsy active types.

Screenshot_2014-09-05-15-48-23.png

The partnership with UnderArmour is impressive, and it provides a whole lot of add-on goodies that fitness and health enthusiasts can use.  Sprint Fit live is the only app that I would say is "bloaty", but to me it comes off more as a launch widget to access MapMyFitness, a MUCH improved S Health, and Spotify (for those long, quiet runs or bike rides).  In the upper left corner, a shortcut is available to pull a page which also gives the user access to some quick launch buttons for functions for each of the afore mentioned apps. 

Screenshot_2014-09-05-16-02-36.png

I would be remiss if I didn't mention two important benefits that are "exclusive" to this device.  One is the free trial of the Premium Map My Fitness.  It is WELL WORTH IT if you use fitness apps.  The integration with other apps, GPS, tips, and social networking is quite impressive, and holds up to any of the competitors offerings like Endomondo or other fitness apps. 

The last thing I will mention is the pedometer that is built in to S Health.  The S Health platform has really been refined, and the end product performs much better than it did back in the sgs3 days!  I have heard from more than one iOS user that it is hard to find a free or "cheap" pedometer that stays on.  The S Health pedometer not only stays on, but is does not hit the battery life hard, and it is very accurate in its step count. 

If you are looking for something to track just how many steps you take on a weekly basis, to something that is a full on training companion, the sgs5sport is a great fit for all users!

D

0 Comments

While this isn't specific to the S5 Sport. Here are a few of my favorite apps to use and one that I was just turned on to that I like.

Google Now - Hands down my absolute favorite app, I use it often!

Google Now.PNG

SpinMe Alarm Clock - This has been great because it forces me to do something aside from snoozing, lately I've been hitting the snooze button more often than I should!

SpinMe.PNG

iHeartRadio - I love this app, probably one of my favorites as it allows me to pair with my HKOS speaker I have at my desk and listen to my local stations with some great sound quality.

iHeartRadio.PNG
One thing I love about android is the amount of customization it allows for and while these are just apps there are also some great launchers available that allow you to completely change your experience on your device. The S5 Sport has enough

power under the hood to really handle anything you throw at it. I am continually impressed with the S5 Sport the more I use it. I love the camera and I love the physical buttons on it. in the middel of the night it's easy to just feel for the back and home button...?

So what are your favorite apps?

-Your Sprint Product Ambassador Team-

0 Comments

The downside to being a Product Ambassador is you eventually have to read the last chapter, close the book, move on and say good bye the device that you get attached to after several weeks of writing.   The good thing is OEMs haven't stopped coming up with new ones for us to get our filthy hands on so the beat goes on.   I've already covered device design and highlighted unique software features in previous posts so I want to wrap up my thoughts on the Galaxy S5 Sport by commenting on the performance so you can get a sense if the hardware specs would meet your needs.   Let's first review some of the key performance specs of the device:

Processing Specs of Note:

As you would expect with flagship lines of any manufacturer the S5 Sport packs considerable processing fire power to run the Android OS and all of the little app goodies we like to load it down with.   A processor's might and amount of available RAM really drive device performance so here is quick comparison of the S5 Sport's specs vs. a few other Android based flagship devices:

HardwareS5 SportHTC M8LG G3
Processor

Qualcomm Snapdragon 801

Clock Speed:  2500 MHZ

# of Cores:   4

Qualcomm Snapdragon 801

Clock Speed:  2300 MHz

Qualcomm Snapdragon 801

Clock Speed:  2500 MHz

Graffics processorAdreno 330Adreno 330Adreno 330
RAM2 GB2 GB3 Gb

Performance Impressions:

As the info above indicates the Sport's guts are inline with it's direct Android competitors.   I haven't been able to interact with the G3 to see if there is a significant difference with the additional gig of RAM but having used the Note 3, which also has 3GB of RAM, for the last 9 months I can say that the Sport doesn't show any signs of being at a performance disadvantage.   When I assess device performance the main thing I'm looking for is any latency when it comes to running applications and during transitions between applications and the OS.  For context I'll list below the applications I typically engaged but know I only experienced lag in a few instances and that was usually when I was engaging a gaming application for the first time.  (memory caching)   Home screen transitions are smooth and switching between applications is seamless.   I've read some reviews where users experienced latency when using the home and back command buttons but I can't say I saw this in my use.   The difference could be attributed to a number of variables but just know that feedback is out there.

What I run:

Here is a quick view of the apps that I ran on a regular basis so you have context for my performance impressions.   Take a look at the list and see how it compares to your usage tendencies, if similar you can probably expect a similar result.

Audio Streaming:  Probably my most heavily used category, I'm a bit of an audio junkie.  Apps used:  Spotify, Audible books, Project M Visualizer, MLB At Bat radio streaming,  810 WHB radio streaming,  Milk Music streaming

Gaming:  Not a regular activity for me but I will game from time to time to escape reality.   Apps used:   Plants vs. Zombies 2 (I'm ashamed to admit that), XCOM:  Enemy Unknown  (do not download this game if you don't have any self control, it will easily kill hours at a time), Cut the Rope 2 (daughter's favorite), and Lumos: The Dying Light.

Multi/Social Media:   I lump these two together because you are going to see usual suspects on the list that everyone uses:   Facebook, Twitter, Netflix, Youtube, Discovery, TED

News/Reading:   Simply because you have to act like you are aware of what is going on in the world. . . . Apps used and ones that I created several widgets for:   CNN, USA Today, The Blaze, BBC America, Daily Bible, Circa (my favorite aggregator), Flipboard, Motley Fool Financial Markets, Stock Alerts, Science Daily News   

Special Interests and Search Based:  A catch all of sorts, random stuff I used on a daily basis to get by.   Apps used:  All the Cooks, Food Network: In the Kitchen, Barcode Scanner, Maps, a litany of financial apps I won't get into, Amazon, Craigslist, Google Now (use voice command a ton), Widget Locker (by far my favorite lock screen app), IMDb, and the Sprint Fit Live applications.

I've enjoyed my time with the Sport and overall I would give this device 4 out of 5 stars.   I would consider giving it 5 stars if it had a 3.0 USB port, ability to change the live wall paper but retain some of the Sprint Fit Live widget based functionality, and reduce pocket activity resulting from what I assume is being driven by the physical buttons.   If you lead an active lifestyle and want a high end device that is tailored to your endeavors seriously consider the S5 Sport.

Thanks for Reading,

The Product Ambassador Team

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity

0 Comments

When I saw the announcement for the Galaxy S5 Sport I was immediately excited about several features. Of course there was the intriguing Sprint Fit Live which bundles Spotify, mapmyfitness, S Health and educational information in to one handy app that launches from the homepage. You can read several of my past posts to learn more about these great features.

Perhaps most motivational to me however was the oops resistant capability of the device against  outdoor elements including dust and water.

There are two things that seem to bring an early doom to devices. Cracked screens and unexpected baths. Most device screens can be protected easily with a quality case and if the screen does crack there generally is going to be a way to have it replaced.

Water damage on the other hand is a different story. Sure there are some great cases on the market for many phones that will waterproof them but they tend to be really bulky and unattractive. I have no plans to go swimming with my phone but I would like some basic protection against the accidental dip in the toilet or unexpected rainstorm.

First let be very clear that the device is water resistant and not water proof. There is a difference and ensuring the safety your device will involve some responsibility on your part. Specifically that requires ensuring the back cover is fully secure and the charging port is closed. The good news here is that the GS5 will give you a pop up warning as a reminder when you forget. This feature can be disabled but I highly recommend keeping it active.

20140904_201235.jpg

The ads say water resistant but is it really? I decided to take the plunge and find out. I will admit now that I was pretty nervous about this little test but as your Sprint Product Ambassador I decided to go for it just for you. Aren’t you the lucky one?

water.jpg

Well after four dips in my kitchen sink the Sport still works. How about that!

Even if none of the fitness features of the Galaxy S5 Sport appeal to you, clearly the peace of mind of having an oops friendly option make this a phone a worthy choice.

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. https://community.sprint.com/baw/tags/#/?tags=sprintemployee

0 Comments

"It's waterproof? No way..."

WAY.

Proof is in the pudding.

SGS5 Sport water selfie! - YouTube

I took a dive with the sgs5sport.  Is this recommended?

NO.

The specs indicate that it's water resistent up to 10M.  But there are plenty of things that could go wrong.  If you have recently opened the back cover, or not so recently closed the back cover, and have not made sure that all of the snaps are secure, then the seal which protects the battery and component parts will fail, and you will get the pink_tab_of_DEATH on the battery, which means water fouled the compartment.

However, it's doable.  Just make sure the back cover is COMPLETELY SEALED (see my other blog entry about this process).

SIDE EFFECTS: I have noticed that when the phone is fully immersed, water will enter the Auxiliary jack and wreak havoc on your application controls.  First and foremost, you will see that the "Headphones inserted" notification pops on and off.  You may also see that it affects the zoom control on the camera.  I think this all comes from water contact with the headphone contacts, and how that plays with the volume control.  If you turn the phone upside down, the water should clear within minutes.  I've noticed that it's like getting water in your ear.

For sure it's a neat party trick, and it makes for good pictures from the middle of the action in the pool.  But it's not completely sealed, and in the long run, it is a risk that you don't want to take too often.

D

"Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. sprintemployee.”

0 Comments

samsung-galaxy-s5-sport.jpg

I know I've probably post this before but one of my favorite hobbies is photography and I love that cell phones are really coming out with some great camera's built in and the Galaxy S5 Sport has a 16MP camera.

Camera.PNG

While cell phones have really stepped up their game they are still no match for a nice DSLR or an expensive point and shoot camera. Here are a few I've taken with my S5 Sport:

20140823_180939_resized1.jpg

20140823_185235_resized1.jpg

20140901_182428_resized1.jpg

20140605_181829.jpg

Lastly, I found a great video on some tips for taking better photos with your device.

Link

0 Comments

blue.png

I have used the S5 Sport with the Gear Fit for over a week now, And I like it,  The best part is I went 5 days without charging the gear fit!  I wish I could say the same thing about the S5 sport.  One of the features I like about having the Gear Fit is the pedometer that is built in, When I am at work I tend to leave my phone at my desk to get water and etc. So keeping track of my steps on the S5 Sport is hard when I leave my phone and go do something.   Also another of my favorite features Is the Notifications you receive on the Gear Fit, When you at a busy place and its loud sometimes you can get a call or text and never know it until later when you check your phone.  With the Gear Fit I get those notifications on my wrist,  It vibrates to let me know someone is calling or I received a text,  from there i can reject the call with a quick text reply, I can also read the entire text message and reply with a quick reply.   I looked a ton of fitness trackers and these two features for me were perfect,  Its part smart watch and a full fitness tracker all in one fitness sized device.

Thanks for reading!

gf.jpg

0 Comments

I was nominated by several of my friends to take the ALS IceBucketChallenge last week. One of my friend's mother has been diagnosed with ALS, or "Lou Gehrig's Disease." So this challenge and subsequent contributions have a personal and community impact to me.

So with that said...

With my IP67 rated Samsung Galaxy S5 Sport in hand, I decided to "do" the challenge, and offer a different perspective - from inside the bucket. In my Ice Bucket Challenge video I bury my GS5 Sport in ice and then fully submerse it in the ice water before I dump it all on my head. My GS5 Sport came through unscathed and fully functional. The ice water dunk had no impact on the operation of the device during the video or after.

I hope you consider donating to this worthy cause. Until next time,

Your Sprint Galaxy S5 Sport Launch Ambassador Team

0 Comments

A couple of weeks ago I shared my experience using the Galaxy S5 Sport as a training tool while cycling. You can read that post here . I am not just a cyclist. I am a runner as well so this week I would like to share my experience from that perspective.

The GS5 Sport is great to take along while cycling but it especially shines as running partner. That is thanks to the audio mapmyfitness feedback, musical motivation from Spotify, and peace of mind knowing the GS5 Sport can survive the water and dust you will encounter in the outdoors.

Live coaching for running includes time intervals, pace,distance and duration. As the user you have complete control of how often you will get your live coaching audio feedback and if this will come via voice or atone. My feedback preference is pace and I have been setting the timing at every two minutes.

mapmyfit.jpg

Why run to pace?

At this point in my training I am meeting my distance goals and so I have moved to getting just a little faster. More importantly it is a common mistake for people to run too fast at the start of a run leaving no juice for the end. Years of endurance training have taught me that it is critical to keep the adrenaline in check at the start to avoid burnout, injury and soreness.

I actually found myself looking forward to the mapmyfitness prompt every two minutes. The audio coach was good to let me know, “you are ahead of your goal pace—slowdown”. This coaching feedback was also augmented with a full summary of results each mile.

Why run with Spotify for music?

Music motivates and it is a proven fact that you will go faster with a smile on your face and joy in your steps. Just ask the folks I pass while wearing my goofy gosh I love getting healthy grin.

With Spotify, I have created my own custom Sprint Product Ambassador David workout playlist with many of my favorite beats.  Sure Spotify has extensive range of workout lists but I prefer familiar songs that I know will inspire me to keep going. Many on the list I found thanks to other already existing workout lists on Spotify.

Spotify Pics.jpg

Got the perfect list for the perfect workout? With Spotify you can make this list public to share with others and even collaborative allowing folks to add their favorites as well. My list is set up to allow this so feel free to join in and give the list a follow.

The GS5 has me moving and as you can see from my video it has all you need to ensure you meet your goals.

The Galaxy S5 Sport, Spotify and mapmyfitness are a winning team for sure.

0 Comments

One of the first things I do when I get a new device is protect it with a case. When I received the Galaxy S5 Sport I really liked the look of it and I loved the feel on the back so I decided to take a chance that nothing would happen with it. Last week I was running in my neighborhood listening to Spotify. I was not digging the song that was on so I looked at the screen to change it to something that would help get me through the last few minutes of my workout. While messing around with my phone I tripped on a rock and started falling hands and face first towards the concrete. I tried to make my fall look gracious but I am sure I looked awkward and gave the neighbors a few good laughs. In all honesty I laughed at myself and got right back up and continued towards my house. It was when I got home that I noticed my phone took the most damage during my fall and it now had an ugly scar close to the camera. That same day I decided to order the Body Glove Rise case to prevent more dings and dents.

IMG_5749.jpg

I never had used Body Glove before so when I received the case I was pleasantly surprised on how well the case was made and the look of it. The rise case line has a back that has a really nice texture and feel to it. There are grooves in it that make holding the phone easier and also provides a really nice cosmetic effect. All of the cutouts for volume, camera, and speaker are very minimal but the effect of the red phone with the black case is awesome. The case itself if very durable and does add a little bulk to the size. The protection you get is worth the extra size and eventually you just get used to it. I have not dropped my phone since my unfortunate and clumsy fall but I am positive the phone would not take any damage if I were to do it again. You can order the case at Sprint.com or look in your local Sprint retail store. The Galaxy S5 Sport is too awesome of a phone to leave unprotected. I had to learn that the hard way but in the end it worked out because it introduced me to an awesome new brand of cases.

IMG_4589.jpg IMG_3475.jpgIMG_8180.jpg

0 Comments

Sprint Fit Live's incorporation into the software features of the Samsung Galaxy S5 Sport dominates the initial user experience so much so that one might not catch the inclusion of an application called "Activity Zone".  Inline with the active lifestyle theme present throughout the hardware and software designs of the device the Activity Zone application further permeates this theme into the adventure/geocaching/hiking arena.  Here is a quick view of the features offered by the Activity Zone applications:

Main Dashboard

dashboard+view.png

Upon opening the application users will be presented with an aggregated dashboard of all the information points available.   Useful tools consisting of a compass, flashlight, and stop watch can be viewed or further engaged with a quick tile selection.  Information on your current elevation, barometric pressure, and directional bearing are provided as well.   If you have already experienced Sprint Fit Live the theme of aggregating multiple tools and information will be familiar to you with this application.   A nice touch when you don't want to have to fumble between multiple applications to get the same benefit.  Quick comment on accuracy, info is presented with a grain a salt and I say that because the elevation accuracy can deviate +/- 50-80 ft which I assume is dependent upon GPS signal strength. (the potential deviation will display just under the elevation figure in the Barometer window)   Thus far I'm finding that the compass is pretty darn accurate.   I've downloaded several compasses from the Google Playstore and have had some issues finding one that is actually directionally correct.   After a couple of sessions of randomly walking around and getting strange looks I haven't run into any issues with this one providing accurate info.   Score!

Function Views

Each of the tiles represented above can be selected for a more granular view that allows you to further tinker with the functions.   Each are pretty self explanatory so I'll leave you with a view of each window so you can get an idea of what additional information is available.   Well organized, flexible, but not overly complicated.  In other words well designed.

barometer.png

compass.png

flashlight2.png

stop watch2.png

Until Next Time-

Product Ambassador Team

"Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee."

1 Comment

For the last 7 years I have been coaching Junior Football, and every season I drop 5-10 pounds without even trying. I always wear my FitBit to track my steps, but this season I decided to kick it up a notch. So with our local football season kicking off I decided that my Samsung S5 Sport with Map My Fitness MVP would be a fun addition to take on to the field and track my activity during practice. The results were fun to see and with Live Tracking (a feature of MVP - did I mention that you get this free for 12 months with Samsung S5 Sport*?) your friends can see all the activity live and after the fact. I don't think it will win any contest for cool picture, but watching the Live Tracker replay was humorous. What I thought was really great is I kept my S5 Sport in my pocket and despite a couple of bumps while holding bags during blocking drills and getting dowsed with water by some of my players after practice, it kept kicking & tracking. Most other devices I would never do this, for fear of it getting dinged up. For my next football experiment I may have to strap the S5 Sport to a player, with a bluetooth heart monitor and track their movement/heartrate during practice or even get some action video...Hmmm. So get out, get moving and get your sport on with the Samsung S5 Sport with Map My Fitness.

Check out the live tracker at: http://www.mapmyfitness.com/workout/700412283#

Once you get there click on the icon that looks like the Play button.

LiveTrack.jpg

Your Product Ambassador Team

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. Theyvolunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee

0 Comments

samsung-galaxy-s5-sport.jpg

I've been using the S5 Sport for about 4wks now and while it's a variant of the Galaxy S5 there are some features that I really love about this one.
I was a little apprehensive about the three physical buttons, I've grown a custom to just having the home button and two capacitive keys but have to say that I've grown to love them. Its very easy to just feel for them, no more looking down

trying to get the right spot. The screen is nice and clear and bright so it's very easy to read along with taking some great photos! This isn't specific to Samsung but be sure to download Surround shot from the Galaxy App store, one of my favorite

features on this device!

To see the full review check out CNET's review of the S5 Sport

0 Comments

samsung-galaxy-gear-fit-sam-gfitb-j2.jpgblue.png

When you buy the S5 Sport, you can get the Gear Fit for only $99 (limited time) that makes it a no brainer.   I have had the gear fit for almost 24 hours and I like it already, this is the first wearable I have used.  Besides all the fitness aspects It is nice to get notifications on my wrist, I had a couple of friends over for dinner and got multiple text during the night and didn’t want to be that guy who checks his phone when people are over, I simple got a notification on my gear fit glanced at my wrist and went on with the conversation, thus never picking up my phone and being that guy!

Setting up your gear fit. 

It’s actually painless and simple and with the app you can setup and customize the gear fit without even looking at it.

Launch the Samsung app store and download the Gear Fit Manager (be sure to download the Fit manager and not the Gear manager),   from there it will search for the device and when it connects it will ask you confirm the code on the Gear Fit.  You will need to confirm on the fit by checking the check mark on the screen on the Gear Fit.   Now you have 2 choices you can setup the Gear Fit from the device or from your phone using the Gear Fit Manager.

Screenshot_2014-08-21-11-58-29.pnggear-fit-manager.jpg

Thanks for reading!

2 Comments

In one of my previous posts we discussed some of the software features that make the S5 Sport unique from the standard S5 offering.  In this post we're going to focus on the hardware side and find out what differentiates the two models from each other and why the unique hardware set on the Sport is better suited to athletic endeavors. 

Command Buttons

An obvious difference that pops upon first glance is the use of multiple physical command buttons on the Sport.   It wasn't that long ago that all Android devices had this configuration but the last few design iterations from the major handset manufacturers have gone to virtual.   So why make what appears to be a retro move?  Think about when you are in the middle of a work out.   You are tired, sucking wind, and the hands just don't seem quite as coordinated.  Having tactile buttons makes it easier and quicker to select the available commands while in motion.   Raised, textured, and separated by chrome highlighted bars give these buttons a unique look and improved usability over the standard S5 single button configuration:

S5                                                              S5 SportS5+button.jpg

Sport+Button2.jpg

The House

The second design element I want to highlight is the difference in the two devices' housing consisting of the back cover and side profile construction.   The biggest difference between the two is the material used on the battery cover plate, the Sport using a rubber like finish to enhance grip while the S5 uses a smoother plastic which is rather standard fair for Samsung devices.   Outside of the finish the two are pretty identical.  You will notice both employ dimpled texture with the speaker, camera, LED flash, and heart rate monitor located in the same places.    In terms of the side profile of the devices both use the same power button and volume rocker configuration with the only difference coming in the way of texture and color.

S5 Casa:                                                                        Sport Casa:

s5+back+cover2.jpg                                                   sport+back+cover2.jpg

Porting It

The last thing I want to mention is the difference in USB ports and to be honest this is the one feature that I was disappointed with.   So why the heartache?   The Sport leverages a USB 2.0 configuration while the S5 gets the newer and more capable USB 3.0 port.    The charging and file transfer capabilities differences between the two are noticeable and after enjoying the 3.0 set up on my Note 3 going back to a 2.0 port is, shall I say inconvenient.   If you aren't familiar in the difference between the two here are a couple of pics illustrating the connector difference, the main thing I'm missing is the charge rate of the 3.0 port which is significantly faster:

S5 USB 3.0                                                                                                      

3.0+port.jpg

sport+port.jpg

Sport USB  2.0

Overall I prefer the design of the Sport even thought it falls short in the USB port category.   I like the color, material use, and purpose driven design the Sport offers.  The design seems to boast a higher quality look and feel and the red color is. . . well really cool.     If you have any questions don't hesitate to post a comment!

Until Next Time,

The Product Ambassador Team

0 Comments

endomondo.jpg

This isn't so much a feature blog on the Samsung Galaxy S5 Sport as much as it is for the Samsung Gear Fit and Gear 2  smart wearable. I just couldn't help myself from spreading the word about my favorite fitness app Endomondo and how I use it with my Galaxy S5 Sport and Gear Fit fitness wearable.

The Samsung Galaxy S5 Sport launched with a focus on fitness and health improvement. The S5 Sport comes pre-loaded with Sprint Fit Live, a collaborative app suite that partners Map My Fitness with Samsung's S Health. These apps are well and good, heck you may even lose 30 lbs through their use. They're just not what I've been using on previous devices nor are they my favorite. I love Endomondo as a fitness app.

In case you didn't know, for a limited time you can get $50 off the Gear Fit when you purchase with a new S5 Sport!

Good news for me! Endomondo announced their app now supports connectivity and syncing with the Samsung Galaxy Gear 2 and Gear Fi... fitness wearable devices. And since I love my Gear Fit and love having it paired to my Galaxy S5 Sport, it seemed like a match made in heaven.

From the Endomondo blog:

Endomondo paired with the Gear Fit or Gear 2 lets users start, pause or stop a workout without reaching for smartphones. Data such as distance, time exercising, calories burned and more can be displayed, and the built-in HR monitor is supported on Gear 2. Users can also set the smartwatch’s display to be light or dark for easy viewing.

I wish Endomondo would pick up and sync the heart rate monitor built into my Gear Fit, but I realize it's likely a limitation of the Fit's proprietary OS (not Tizen or Android), and API calls may be limited. I can always hope for an update in the future. For now, I will enjoy having customizable app screens on my Gear Fit so I can choose what to see in quick glances; pace, distance, speed, steps, etc.

I hope this helps you get the most from your Galaxy S5 Sport and Galaxy Gear smart wearable devices.

Until next time,

Your Galaxy S5 Sport Launch Team Ambassadors

0 Comments

Did that title catch your attention?

Can you lose weight simply by purchasing a new device? Well of course you can’t. Over my many years of weight loss and gain and loss I have learned a lot of lessons about what it takes to win this difficult battle. This year is a good example as I found myself on the scale January 1st like a lot of people saying to myself, “No more!  Something has got to change”

Planning to lose weight and getting fit is easy. It is the execution of the plan that is hard.

I can tell you for sure that diets and quick fixes do not bring long term change. I think that deep down we all know this to be true but for some reason most of us still get roped in by the latest fads and short cuts.

Well eight months later and 30 + pounds less I can tell you that a phone can make a difference. A wonder tool like the Samsung Galaxy S5 Sport can provide you with motivation, education and data to ensure that victory over the scale and improvement of your fitness.

Just pick a strategy and go for it!

You deserve the healthy life of your dreams and deep down you know that you can do it. Each day, each workout and each moment is a chance to begin again to be faster, stronger and lighter than you might have imagined.

Need a boost to get going?

Then perhaps the excitement of a new phone with embedded tools to help you on your journey is just the BAM you have been looking for.

Step one:  Purchase and Activate the Sprint Exclusive Samsung Galaxy S5 Sport loaded with tools to get you where you want to go.

Screenshot_2014-08-21-12-30-54.png

Step two: Log on and take a run or walk with Mapmyfitness MVP and start to see and hear how you are progressing. After your moment of glory, share your results and your thoughts with all your social media friends through Twitter and Facebook and YouTube. Peer pressure can be a wonderful thing and your circle of social support will be there with you along your journey if you will let them.

Step three: Make a custom playlist on Spotify with songs that really inspire you to keep moving. As a premium account user, you can even share this
list with others and have them add songs.

Step four: Keep your phone with you and S Health will keep you up to date on your steps and your calories burned just by getting through the day. In between all of this action, get educated with the tremendous number of resource articles you will find thanks to Sprint Fit Live and the tremendous amount of data provided on your awesome Sprint plan.

Together you and your Samsung Galaxy S5 Sport will be the winning team that makes your dreams come true. Get the device, get a plan and let’s get busy.

How are you planning to use your Sprint device to help your personal fitness goals?

0 Comments

sprint-samsung-galaxy-s5-sport-115.jpg

Having had the Galaxy S5 Sport for a few weeks now and I have nothing but positive things to say and so do customers on Sprint.com. Its always great to see customer feeling the same way. Many customers feel as I do with experiencing great battery life with my personal experience for more than twenty hours of average life. I have touched upon the camera quality and I am still enjoying using the camera everyday and never missing a moment. One user pointed out he is very active and loves the heart rate monitor and the fitness apps. I would have to agree, I have been using the S Health and map my fitness to track my workouts and have really enjoyed keeping track. Having the physical buttons while in an arm band has been a life saver when I need to navigate my phone while working out. Not to mention my phone has been in and out of water with no issues. If you live a active life style and enjoy the quality that Samsung brings, this is a phone that must be considered! Below I have attached some screen shots of the customer reviews.

1.PNG

2.PNG

0 Comments

samsung_galaxy_s5_sport_backs_press.jpg

Recently I was playing with the settings on my camera and was really impressed that this phone can record beyond 1080p. I love that Samsung is making this available and the results are very impressive. The camera is nothing to scoff at but the video quality is really the item that shines through all the rest. I have been taking a ton of photos in videos here lately and I am really please with the quality and how fast the camera and recorder reacts. The reason for my increase in pictures and video, is we have a new addition to the family.......a puppy! Having a device you can rely on to capture the moments you want to remember is key. I have posted a video of the quality this phone.  Make sure to set the You tube video to the highest quality to see the max resolution .

0 Comments

S5Sport.jpg

I have been using my phone for the past 4 years to help me reach my fitness goal. I was overweight and unhappy and one day I was determined to lose the weight and take back my life. Using awesome apps like Endomondo and MyFitnessPal I was able to lose over 80 pounds and keep it off. I am now a fitness addict and love to work out and find new healthy things to eat. When I heard Sprint was getting the Galaxy S5 Sport I was really excited to try it out.

I also have the original S5 so I was eager to see the differences between the two phones. Many times when you get a different variant of a smartphone they tone down the specs. The awesome thing about the S5 sport is that it is pretty much identical to the S5 when it comes to the phones internals. The outside of the phone is a different story. I received the Cherry Red version which looks great in person. The back of the phone has a rubber grip to it which makes holding the phone a little easier than the regular S5. When you turn on the phone you are greeted with the Sprint Fit Live Sprint ID. The basic function of this is to allow easy access to MayMyFitness, Spotify, S Health, and articles about fitness from the web. Whats really nice about this is that all of the apps that you can use when you are working out are in one area that is put together very nicely.

Prior to receiving the S5 Sport I was using Endomondo Pro for tracking my workouts and MyFitnessPal for tracking my calories. I also have a Fitbit Flex to monitor the steps that I have taken in a day. I always put my goal at 200,000 to try to push myself to the next level. Over the next few weeks I will be using only the apps that came on the S5 Sport to track my weekly progress to see how they compare to what I have been use to using in the past. I will blog about my experience a few times a week with the good and the bad. Overall I have been very pleased with the S5 Sport and am excited to really put the “sport” part to a true test.

0 Comments

I have had the pleasure of using both of these great devices, my history with the two companies are not equal.  The Samsung S5 Sport is the first premium Samsung smart phone I have used since the galaxy S2.  I have experienced the LG Optimus G, G2, and G3, I can say, I enjoyed all of the LG devices. Both devices are amazing, here’s my honest opinion!  The screen on both of these devices are great, but the G3 has an amazing screen!  The battery life between the two are great, but if I had to pick one the S5 Sport has a smaller battery and last just as long.  Both have processors are identical and perform great. With the added RAM in the G3 it takes the cake.  It’s snappy and moves between apps seamlessly.   My conclusion is still undecided, there are two reason for that, First reason is the S5 Sport’s fitness tracking app’s and water resistant capabilities makes it a great phone for anyone also great for people that like to enjoy the outdoors.  The Second reason is the LG G3 has an amazing screen comparable to the screen size of the Note 3.  The best part is, it is not that much bigger than the S5 Sport.  So if you looking for a Phablet device, but don’t want the added bulk than the G3 is your best option.  Below is a comparison of their specs.

blue.pngLG-G3-1.jpg

Spec’s

Samsung S5 Sport

LG G3

Display size

5.1 inches

5.5 inches

Resolution

1080 x 1920 pixels

1440 x 2560 pixels

Pixel density

432 ppi

538 ppi

Technology

Super AMOLED

IPS LCD

Camera

16 megapixels

13 megapixels

Battery Capacity

2800 mAh

3000 mAh

System chip

Qualcomm Snapdragon 801

Qualcomm Snapdragon 801

Processor

2500 MHz, Krait 400

2500 MHz, Krait 400

System memory

2048 MB RAM

3072 MB RAM

Built-in storage

32 GB

32 GB

Storage expansion

microSD, microSDHC, microSDXC up to 128 GB

microSD, microSDHC, microSDXC up to 128 GB

Water resistant

Yes / IP67

no

Thanks for reading

0 Comments

I have been trying out the Sprint Exclusive Galaxy S5 Sport now for a little over a week and am putting it to the test as a coaching companion to my fitness activity.

Sprint has partnered with UnderArmor on this device to provide one year MVP level membership free of their very popular mapmyfitness training tool. This equals a $29.99 value and is a great add in bonus to help you get the most form the GS5 Sport.

What is the difference between the free version and the MVP version? See the chart below

Capture.JPG

Chart from mapmyfitness

Thanks to mapmyfitness, I know that the Galaxy S5 Sport and I have logged 14.73 miles of running and 166 miles of cycling while also burning an estimated total of 12,872 calories since we joined forces just a little over a week ago. Here is my current stat readout:

Stats.JPG

There are a lot of fitness tracking apps available and this has been my first try with Mapmyfitness. The basic coaching settings include; Time, intervals, pace, speed, distance and duration. The app also has several social features including live tracking so other MVP level friends can see your performance online in real time. This would be super handy for friends while participating in an event like a marathon or long road race on a bike.

How I have I been using it?

For running I have been setting a pace goal with the audio feedback providing me with results every 2 minutes. The feedback is great as I know that if I go too fast I will wear out and potentially not meet my distance objective.  Through Spotify, I have also created my own custom Sprint Product Ambassador workout music list to keep me motivated on the go.

Mapmyfitness has a capability for an amazing array of cycling feedback opportunities including bike speed, cadence and power. These connect through Bluetooth and would be great for the ultra-data junkies out there. Obtaining this information as an accessory option does require connecting to separate devices.

Screenshot_2014-08-13-10-50-08.png

I do not recommend listening to music while riding as it is important to be fully aware of what is coming from behind and music in both ears could be a distraction. Instead, I have been keeping the headphone to just one non-road facing ear.

Here is a screen shot from the app I took describing my recent results while usign of mapmyfitness during a ride. I have a video as well that you will find at the end of this post.

Screenshot_2014-08-10-13-21-33.png

So why bother with an app like Mapmyfitness?

It has been my experience that success with personal fitness gains and weight loss require several ingredients.

They are: Motivation, a big goal, small incremental goals, accountability, education and feedback.

No app or fancy device is going to make you go faster or magically take the weight off. What they can do is combine to help you get to where you have defined you want to be. Set some goals for each workout and use the audio coach to hold yourself accountable. Crank up the music to spark some motivation while moving. Finally, share your results with the world through you social channels so others can celebrate with you along the way.

Do you have goals to improve your fitness and health?

I would love to hear them!

Link to youtube video

0 Comments

I recently got back from "vacation" (and by vacation I mean road-tripping to New Mexico for my son's 18U World Series baseball tournament) and realized that my Samsung Galaxy S5 Sport performed excellent along the way in every way I had hoped, but also in ways I had not planned for.

I spent eight days in Farmington, New Mexico, home of the Connie Mack World Series. There were a few days with no games scheduled so I ventured out from the hotel to destinations within driving distance; namely 4-Corners, USA, and the Grand Canyon.

By now you've seen and read about how the Galaxy S5 Sport camera and it's 16 MP sensor are easily one of the best cameras in any smartphone today. But just in case you need more proof, here are some pics I took along the way.

First stop: 4-Corners, USA. This is a picture (30% of original resolution) taken of the mountain range horizon at 4-Corners. I feel the S5 Sport camera does a great job of capturing color, depth and shadows.

4corners_WL.jpg

You can't go on vaca without a few selfies, right?

4corners-selfie_WL.jpg

Next stop - the Grand Canyon. As you can see some rain moved in while I was visiting the south rim and various stations along the way (again, all images were shrunk to 30% resolution). Some of the rain that you see in the distance moved "across" my lookout spots and so I got rained on. Not to worry, the S5 Sport comes with "IP67" rating against dust and water intrusion so I never worried. I saw many people around me stashing their smartphones and digital cameras lest they be ruined with wetness. Not me, I kept snapping pics, fearless in the face of a little weather.

grandcanyon_WL.jpg

grandcanyon-rain_WL.jpg

grandcanyon-panorama_WL.jpg

grandcanyon-selfie_WL.jpg

My drive home was where I really found out just how much I had to depend on my S5 Sport...when the GPS navigation in my car went haywire. I'm not sure if it was my in-car nav, or if there were geomagnetic factors wreaking havoc on my car, but the road home through Colorado's beautiful mountain passes caused me to lose all navigation. A quick pull-over and planting the S5 Sport in my windshield mount and I'm back in business. I also noticed that I was "locked on" to nine GPS satellites by switching over to a 3rd party app called Ulysse Speedomter Pro, so maybe my car needs to visit the dealer. BTW: Thanks to Samsung and the TouchWiz UI for allowing me to do a quickie palm swipe screen capture so I could keep eyes on the road! Two miles above sea level is no place to be swerving. (Settings > Motions and gestures > Palm swipe to capture)

gps_WS.png

I had a great trip and my Samsung Galaxy S5 Sport came in useful and handy along the way. Great camera, water resistance, fantastic and fast GPS locking, and phenomenal battery life all helped contribute to a great vacation.

Until next time,

Your Sprint Product Ambassadors

0 Comments

Its summer time and we live it Florida so what better way to end the summer, before school starts, IS.........to take a cruise! Last week my wife and I and a couple of friends took a short trip to the caribbean before my wife had to return to work (she teaches first grade and started this week) and our friends kids headed back to college this week as well. Here's a couple shots from the ship as we were in port and once we got off in Mexico.

Mexican Coast.jpg

Mexican Port1.jpg

While it's great to get away it's even nicer to know that we can still connect with our families back home and stay in touch and one feature that I love is that almost all of the newer devices we have offer International calling capabilities, However there are few things to do prior to taking that international trip. Just visit sprint.com/sww and select the location (rates vary from place to place) and you can either chat or call Sprint WorldWide, the nice thing is you can set it up months in advance and give the date ranges that you'll be gone and you are all set. We just setup for voice service while we were traveling as a data plan could cost a lot more than you may want to pay. One thing we would do is uncheck the Mobile Data option (settings>more networks>mobile networks) to just make sure we didn't end up with a surprise on our bill when you get home and we would also enable airplane mode when when we weren't planning on making any calls.

Mobile data.PNG

One fun thing we like to do while cruising is track the ship using an app called Navionics, in Airplane Mode I just enable GPS and launch the app, granted when you are in your stateroom or not near a window you'll lose GPS but spending time on the upper decks or outside it'll pick right up again

GPS Tracking.png

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. sprintemployee.”

0 Comments

I love it when folks get creative in marketing and it looks like they are pulling out all the stops for the Sprint exclusive Samsung Galaxy S5 Sport. This week there was an annoucement for a Twitter based contest promoting the Mapmyfitness app and this great device.

The contest rules state:

Entry Methods

To enter the contest a user must use MapMyFitness and creatively map out a drawing of their running, walking or biking route. If you do not have the MapMyFitness app, you may download the app here. You will be required to agree to the Map My Fitness terms of service and privacy policy. If you do not agree to MapMyFitness’ terms of service and privacy policy, you cannot create a MapMyFitness account or participate in this Contest.

Entrants may create their own free route here. Entrant must take a screenshot of their route and tweet the entry sharing their most creative "Map Art" with the hashtag #MapArtContest. Entrants must enter through Twitter, using their own personal Twitter handle. If you do not have a Twitter account, you may sign up for a free account at www.twitter.com. By submitting your information and creating a Twitter account, you will be required to agree to the Twitter terms of service and privacy policy. If you do not agree to Twitter's terms of service and privacy policy, you cannot create a Twitter account or participate in this Contest.

Entrants may also tweet a photo as a twitpic or tweet a link to an Instagram photo. Entrants must follow @Sprint so that we may send you a DM in the event that you are selected as a potential winner. Limit one (1) entry per person (including multiple twitter accounts).

MapmyArt Contest.jpg

Want to learn more?  Here is a link to the full contest rules

#happyconnecting