Houston, TX

77008 (Zip Code)

16th and Heights Blvd

16th and Yale

20th and Yale

11th and Yale

(A few cross streets)

I've had the phone for over 14 days...

I'm standing in a 4G area, but my phone is sitting on 3G and the icon is just spinning. Yes, I know about the Airplane Mode workaround. I was just hoping this issue would be resolved by now. Sprint has known of the issue for quite some time now.

Also, am I right in seeing that I cannot do voice and data while on 4g?

Sprint Customer Care - I ask you to PLEASE respond to my questions, however I do not want the canned, "Please be patient," response. My questions may require a district manager/developer's knowledge, so feel free to take your time (24 hours MAX) while responding, because I want some REAL intel.

1. How far along is the "fix" for 3g to LTE handoff? Final testing phase? Soft rollout? Is it even being worked on? Is this a software or hardware issue? Real answers here please.

2. Is it true that you cannot use data and voice while on 4G? Is this being fixed or will it be something we have to live with? Give us an HONEST answer here. If this is a fix, how far along is Sprint with the fix (refer to question 1). If this is something we have to live with, what other phones have this issue and are you guys being open and honest when customer's come in to purchase these phones?

3. Is the Galaxy S5 an inferior phone? I am well past my 14 days, however I feel this issue is so big that the consumer should be given a choice to either:

1. Wait for the fixes to be successfully implemented while given a discounted rate
  2. Get an equivalent phone for $50 with no ETF (only applies to customer who are on contract), or $150 for those not on contract.
  3. Get out of the contract. Keep in mind, people will probably stay with Sprint service for quite a few months as they have a brand new phone and might not pay for a new phone with a new carrier just yet.

REAL ANSWERS PLEASE! Honestly, go get a manager who knows the answers to these questions. Thanks!

27 REPLIES 27
Highlighted
Master

Re: 3g to LTE (Spark) Issues

bbuckholtz,

Thank you for contacting us. The Network Vision upgrade is still in progress in most parts of the areas you mentioned in Houston. We don't have a specific time frame for the completion of the network upgrade. Our network team is working very hard to have this completed very soon. When the upgrade is completed on each tower, it goes through a 30 day optimization process. We are not aware of any hardware or software issue that is slowing down the network upgrade process.

You can talk and use data simultaneously on the 4G network. However, the Samsung Galaxy S5 can only do so when connected to wifi. This is due to a hardware limitation with the device. The limitation is due to the chip used in triband phones. On a non triband phone there are 2 chips, one for CDMA and one for LTE and both can transmit at the same time. In a triband phone CDMA and LTE are using the same chip and there is only one transmission path meaning only one can be active at a time. This is the case with ALL carriers, not just Sprint. However on a GSM carrier, you will still have 3G on a call, but not LTE. CDMA has never supported voice and data at the same time and is a limitation of the technology. The only way it works is when there is a separate chip for 4G.

Eric

Sprint Social Care Team

Highlighted
Journeyman

Alright Eric, thanks for your answers. Much better than the standard stuff we have been getting.

In the meantime, is Sprint being honest with the sale of these phones? I feel as though customers should know that they are getting a device that cannot do talk and data at the same time, as well as the network issues that are being worked out.

Just my thoughts...

Highlighted
Master

Glad we could help out bbuckholtz

Call and surfing data has always been done if wifi is activated. Let me know if you have any further questions/concerns.

Thanks,

Krishel
Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

I am having the same issue with my new GS5. When I first got it the 4g worked great for about 3 days now its nothing but 3g. I have already talked to a tech and they've reset my prl and what not and ive restarted my phone several times. I know my 4g at my house is good it's just the phone having an issue. A update would be nice or even just a date of when its coming out. Ive read numerous forums of people having this same problem.

32935 Melbourne, Fl

Post rd

King Richard rd

Some streets nearby.

Thanks

Highlighted
Journeyman

There is clearly a hardware/software issue with the Galaxy S5, and this is the problem that Sprint has yet to own up to.

Highlighted
Master

AHecht36 - I know this is frustrating. This is an issue that we are aware of and have our network team working diligently to resolve the issue. Thank you for your patience. - Robert Sprint Social Care Team
Highlighted
Master

EALLEN02 - I know this is frustrating. This is an issue that we are aware of and have our network team working diligently to resolve the issue. Thank you for your patience. - Robert Sprint Social Care Team
Highlighted
Journeyman

I guess the new technology is not that great I don't know why sprint is selling this "spark sprint" thing and phones with triband if we cant really use them.  I am having the same problem since I change to Samsung S5. I don't have signal and If I change the network settings to cdm/lte I wont receive any calls nor texts.

So right now I am having problems with the 3g I cant believe everyone is using 4g and im still with 3g and a brand new phone.

My old phone the HTC 4g LTE was great but I have to change due to battery problems.

How can we have a better signal? When? I think Sprint should put the antennas and have a better coverage BEFORE sell it. We are just wasting money and we are not getting the service they offer us.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Is there a rough estimated date this "update" or "fix" will be rolling out? Looks to me this problem has been out since this phone has hit the market months ago.

Highlighted
Master

AHecht36

Currently, there isn't an estimated date of completion for 4G Spark.  Please continue to be patient. 

Kendra

Sprint Social Care

Highlighted
Journeyman

Not sure what you guys have done or haven't done in my area but just for the heck of it it switched my phone back to LTE/CDMA this morning and my LTE service has been great all day (so far) it hasn't been off and on like the last time I tried it.

Melbourne Florida

Post rd

King Richard rd

Might want to look into it to see if you guys did something right.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat