cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any ideas on how to fix my Wifi Calling?

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Any ideas on how to fix my Wifi Calling?

Just an update.

Although my WI-Fi calling is still working, just a note that every so often, it decides to stop working (WI-Fi icon with single red diagonal line running through it) for no apparent reason.I have to turn off the WI-Fi calling fire a few seconds then turn it back on and it works again. Not very stable.

Highlighted
GrandMaster

i run into that from time to time on my M9

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

We switched out our old Wireless access points for two new Belkin N600s upstairs and it helps a lot. It does not completely solve the problem which is that the Wifi Calling driver has a difficult time keeping the connection alive (and you have to stop and restart Wifi and Wifi Calling) and it sometimes becomes corrupted and stops working completely. It is limping along but needs help.

Highlighted
Journeyman

cwl13 wrote:

Just an update.

Although my WI-Fi calling is still working, just a note that every so often, it decides to stop working (WI-Fi icon with single red diagonal line running through it) for no apparent reason.I have to turn off the WI-Fi calling fire a few seconds then turn it back on and it works again. Not very stable.

Same issue here, usually works then randomly disconnects wi-fi calling.

today however I am unable to connect at all.  Can't say Sprint's Wi-Fi calling is very stable.

-TL

Highlighted
Journeyman

Just an update. My WI-Fi calling died again last night. I still try a few more tries tonight when I get home (turn off/on wifi, etc) before I reset everything, again.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Just a couple of updates.

First, I now have four Galaxy S5's in the house (grown from two since last week).  Two issues with the WiFi calling

1) one of the new S5's, and one existing S5 (which I deleted WiFI from acct and reset up one week ago on 9/4/2015) have lost WiFi connectivity on occasion this week.  To reconnect, I simply turned off WiFi on the phone for 5 seconds and turned it back on.  Very annoying.

2) Several callers to my S5's (when connected to our home WiFi) complained of very low volume.  I tested this out (calling home from a land line) and on occasion I have seen this issue.

I called the Sprint Airave Dept and ordered a Wi-Fi Connect device (fancy name for a Wi Fi router) - they only sell one unit/model and it is supposed to be setup to optimize use with Sprint's WiFi calling.  I should receive that within a week and will report back if that device fixes the issues I've been experiencing.

BTW - a week a go, I spoke to a Retention rep - he found a very recent internal email stating there is known issues with WiFi calling with Samsung phones, with the likely cause being a faulty Lollipop upgrade.  I am supposed to be able to bring the phone to a Sprint Store to reinstall Lollipop, but I do not want to spend the time, energy and gas to try out this avenue unless absolutely necessary.  Coincidentally, one of my existing S5's just got returned from Samsung's repair (on 9/4/2015) and it had supposedly got the Lollipop reflashed onto the phone.  I will keep an eye on that to see how WiFi calling fairs on this device.

Highlighted
Journeyman

cwl13 wrote:

BTW - a week a go, I spoke to a Retention rep - he found a very recent internal email stating there is known issues with WiFi calling with Samsung phones, with the likely cause being a faulty Lollipop upgrade.  I am supposed to be able to bring the phone to a Sprint Store to reinstall Lollipop, but I do not want to spend the time, energy and gas to try out this avenue unless absolutely necessary.  Coincidentally, one of my existing S5's just got returned from Samsung's repair (on 9/4/2015) and it had supposedly got the Lollipop reflashed onto the phone.  I will keep an eye on that to see how WiFi calling fairs on this device.

This statement doesn't pass muster, the reason is the phone performs a verification on the file used for the upgrade via both a checksum and some sort of certificate, if either of these fails the check then the phone will not use the file to upgrade itself.

Now its possible but highly doubtful Sprint created a valid upgrade file with bad software for the Wi-Fi calling and later issued another upgrade file with a new Wi-Fi software update.

HEY SPRINT GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sine we got  updates on our two Galaxy S6's and then new Belkin wireless access points our wifi calling problems have gone away so far and it has now been a full month without any problems. I am not sure which fixed it but it never went this long working perfectly before.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@Brantl

Where your previous WiFi calling issues with something OTHER than S6 ?

=================================

Just and update.  So, I have my new Asus-Sprint WiFi Connect router since Thursday night.  Since then, I have had EACH of our Galaxy S5's dropp the WiFi calling link.  This sucks - I may just have to ditch the WiFi calling for now and just go back to the Airave, but that means constant switching between CDMA only (in home) and LTE/CDMA or Automatic (out-of-home).  This switching alternative would not be such a hassle except it takes several steps and the worse thing, requires a reboot each time.

Sprint sucks.

Highlighted
Journeyman

There were just our new S6's. That is when we also ditched the Airave.

As of this morning they are still doing fine. Once in a while we may have to turn wifi calling off and on just in Settings but not normally. It does seem very sensitive to Wifi strength. That said Sprint is well aware they have an issue with Wifi Calling when I spoke to a rep at the store with some phones. I suspect they fixed the S6s because they are now the flagship phone first. We have received at least three large updates since we got them and two recently.

Highlighted
Journeyman

While your phone is hooked up on Wi-Fi Calling, did you ever have experience the following:

1) caller from outside says your voice is coming in VERY low (only when they call you, NOT when you call from your phone)

2) caller from outside hears lots of echo (their own voice) when talking

Highlighted
Journeyman

My wife uses it a lot more than I do since we still have a land line at home. She says the only problems she has now is the Wi-Fi itself may not connect when she comes home sometimes and it is still using a very weak 4G signal we get and then she has no Wi-Fi Calling or when she goes out of range (out of the house) it may drop.

I have three wireless access points - one in the basement and one at each end of a 84' house. The UVerse Gateway (basement) and the 2 Belkin routers which are configured as just access points. We still notice outside when the Wi-Fi is weak (one or two bars) you can get a disconnect on Wi-Fi calling. It connects right back up when you get a stronger signal inside.

We have not noticed a low volume issue at all.  Sometimes when on the road we get where one cannot hear the other party (or the echo's too) and must call back on a bad connection because of a weak signal but unrelated to Wi-Fi Calling. We have not noticed those issues with Wi-Fi Calling in the house except for a complete drop.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat