Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GS5 Lollipop WiFi issues

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

GS5 Lollipop WiFi issues

Since updating to Lollipop my GS5 will not hold a WiFi connection for more than a minute. It jumps back and forth from LTE to WiFi and is very frustrating. Since the update I noticed the battery runs a little hotter as well. I did do a factory reset to have a clean 5.0 install but no luck with the WiFi issue. (all other devices in my home do not have this issue so it is not a router, modem or service issue). I seem to recall reading that the 5.0 version released in other countries had the same issue, as well as the Nexus devices in the USA which was resolved in 5.0.1 or 5.0.2 which makes me wonder why we received 5.0?

I'm also bothered that the Spark connectivity issue still has not been resolved after all the known feedback from users. I had to disable Band 41 once again just to get a solid LTE connection and to go from 1 bar connectivity to 5. (and yes, I live in a solid Spark / HD Voice area with no tower issues)

What's going on Sprint??

23 REPLIES 23
Journeyman

Re: GS5 Lollipop WiFi issues

Same here with two Galaxy S5.

Uncheck smart network switch.

Journeyman

I updated my S5 with the Lollipop software also, and during that time my phone became so hot I thought we were going to have serious problems. The battery cooled off after it restarted. But, with that said, right after the update it appeared that my data connection was a little faster. But, a few hours later while I was using my phone my screen went black several times and my phone decided to recycle itself. After my phone rebooted, it took some time for my apps to reappear from a transparent state and my data connection was extremely slow. Not only that, this update wiped out my Block Calls feature which allowed me to block all incoming calls with the ability to unblock the contacts and numbers of my choice. I do appreciate the fact that my battery doesn't drain as quickly as before. However, I received a couple of improvements with additional issues. I may have to call Sprint again or better yet, use the new found email address of Sprint's CEO. We are still paying for services NOT fully rendered.

Journeyman

Same here!!! For now I just turned off my wi-fi. Still see icon spinning.

Journeyman

I am having the same issue as well but i noticed some settings had been changed.....for instance under More Networks...mine had nothing selected so i selected LTE/CDMA....or sometimes I use automatic....

And I also "forgot" my network and reconnected....to see if that will help......

I did not uncheck the Smart Network yet....

Will see how this does.......

Geesh!!!!

Journeyman

Turning OFF 'Smart Network Switch' has seemed to fix my issue thank you! I suspect this was what was killing my battery and making my phone so hot constantly connecting, disconnecting and searching.

I question if checking the 'Always Allow Scanning' is a safe feature to use? Need to test that today.

Side note; my stand by battery time has greatly improved from this simple fix and Lollipop too. Before I would lose an average 40% over night if not plugged in. Last night I only saw about a 5% decrease. Things are looking up!

Journeyman

Explain."smart network" switch. If you meann connections optimizer, mine's un checked. Phone so laggy, I can

Master

Freshyz,

I'm sorry to hear that you've encountered these problems since updating to Lollipop. We have reported these issues to our device experts so they can look into this further.

annepontz76, Thank you for the great suggestion! We appreciate your assistance.

Thank you,

Lorrie

Sprint Social Care

Journeyman

My SMART network IS UNCHECKED

Journeyman

So hard to type on this laggy phone. Driving me crazy. Of Z course I've turned off all data stuff, I WANT to stabilize my wifi!

Master

MoPho2011,

We are sorry for the issue you are having with the software update. Have you tried rebooting your phone, router and modem? If that doesn't improve it then force your S5 to forget the Wi-Fi network that's posing problems. Go to the connection in Settings and select the Forget Network option. Then reconnect to the Wi-Fi network. You can also go into Power Saving Mode to make sure there are no restrictions in place. Let us know if that doesn't help.

Thank you,

Barry
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

this doesn't help. First of all, it doesn't make my wifi stable, and this is a feature that is needed when one is out in the world, so that needs to be working. I have unchecked anything to do with non-Wifi, but eventually, I'll need the benefit of the smart network thing. I don't recall that being the name of that feature all this time?

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat