Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GS5 Lollipop WiFi issues

Go to solution
Master

Re: GS5 Lollipop WiFi issues

MoPho2011,

Have you tried taking your device into a Sprint store?
- Wendy
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

I have the same issue. Just updated to lollipop today and phone keeps toggling wifi and lte. I have multiple wifi networks that i use in different location's including optimum (cable company) free wifi hotspots. So the router solution below is pretty much impossible. I did switch off the network optimization, no help. I turned off moble data and wifi holds steady never looses signal as far as i can tell. To test i watched a movie on Netflix. So my conclusion is that there is an issue with the update. oh yes i did the same thing with wifi turned off and moble data switched on, lte worked fine. With both turned on they toggle back and forth which becomes an issue in speed and lost network errors and also seeing the message on screen every few minutes "connected to name(WiFi)network". Please advise on what can be done. I also tried automatic and lte/cdma to no avail.

Journeyman

In addition to my post i would like to add, is sprint going to help everyone when their data usage goes up exponentially because of this issue?

Master

LAKEHILLHOMESLLC - Usually that's resolved by turning of the network optimizer but you said that was done and the issues remains. It does seem like others have run into the same issue as well so we're going to keep an eye on this and we may need to reach out to the manufacturer as well.

- John
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Just wanted to chime in and say that there are two similar settings that people may be confusing. 'Network Optimization' and 'Smart Network Search'. For me, the first one pops up on it's own to be turned on/off and the second I have to dig for. It was only until I unchecked the SNS did my WiFi stabilize.

Settings - WiFi - Settings (top right) - Advanced - turn off SNS

Hope this helps..

Master

LAKEHILLHOMESLLC - Thank you for reaching out to us. I completely understand the situation and certainly will be able to assist you with the issue. If you may, please try updating the device profile. Keep me posted on how that goes. Looking forward to hearing from you. - Charles
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

I had both disabled and continue to keep them that way, as I use wifi at home. I WILL need to use these later, though, when I leave the house (I don't leave the house daily)

I think the servers were overwhelmed by the LP update and the usual PRL or Profile system updates that take place weren't happening. I couldn't even press them to force them happening until this afternoon.

I've been pressing PRL update repeatedly and it shows updated every time, never says "no update available" or "just updated" or whatever. I think it's improving things. The screen lag is gone...

Rebooting usually pulls down the system updates, but that has not happened since midnight Feb 5 when i first downloaded the Lollipop. I'm hoping forcing these little updates is helping!

Journeyman

I am having the same issues, as well. I took my phone into the Sprint store and even got a new phone because we could not fix the problem. Now I'm upset because I wouldn't have needed to get a different phone if Sprint in general were aware that there is an existing problem with these phones toggling between mobile data and WiFi. I'll try some of the fixes on here, but it makes me very frustrated.

Journeyman

Having the same issue as well. I tried all the temp fixes mentioned in this thread, but none seemed to be a real fix. My battery is draining like crazy now because of this. It won't even hold a charge if I plug it into a PC via USB.

Journeyman

I seem to be having similar issues in that it is wi-fi related, although my phone isn't able to even get online at all.  I'm on my home computer, so I know my wi-fi works like it should, but for some reason my phone will connect to the wi-fi but not read the signal or something.  I will try try the suggestions here and report back if I have any luck...

Journeyman

This may sound crazy but try unplugging off your router for 30 seconds. My home network does this occasionally, I have full connection at my computer and even though there is no indication that wifi isn't working [it looks like everything is connecting fine] I have no signal to my mobile devices.This might not be related to your problem at all, but I figure it can't hurt so why not try.

Highlighted
Journeyman

same thing here, factory reset did not fix it, and NOW, two months after Lollipop update, my phpone suddenly thinks it is Feb 6 around 11 am, instead of March 29, 4:51

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat