cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GS5 blue tooth tethering to share data

Highlighted
Journeyman

GS5 blue tooth tethering to share data

I previously had a GS2 and could connect to my Galaxy tab 2 10.1. Now with the new GS5 i can connect but cannot share internet/data. Why is this? I have connected the two via tether but there is still no data/internet sharing even though it says it can. Why is this?

21 REPLIES 21
Master

Re: GS5 blue tooth tethering to share data

southernclimber

Thanks for posting. What's the error message you're getting when connecting to the internet on the GS5? Are you able to connect to the internet on the Galaxy tab? Are the settings enabled in the GS5 to allow Bluetooth tethering? Try these steps: Apps, Settings, Tethering, and turn the Bluetooth tethering on. Hope this helps.

Marie
Sprint Social Care Team
Journeyman

There is no error message, just no sharing of the internet. It says it is connected and sharing but trying to pull anything up that required any amount of data and nothing happens. I use the tablet freely on my wifi, but when I try to use it with the new GS5 it doesnt share the internet. I has a GS2 and it worked like a champ. I ensure my bluetooth is on and that the phone is in tether mode, or what every you want to call it so it can tether. connect the two and nothing. I am very dissapointed due to the fact my older phone would work fine but this one is not, i also am not happy about not being able to be on 4g lte and unable to surf the web as i am talking on the phone, but that is an issue i see others trying to solve so not going to beat that horse any more.

Master

southernclimber Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I would like to take a look in your area. What's the zip code and nearby cross streets? Meanwhile, we can troubleshoot the device by resetting the network settings. On your device dial ##72786# the phone will powercycle, then make sure your mobile data is turned on by going to Settings, More, Mobile Network, and make sure there is a green check in the mobile data box. Anntenetta Sprint Social Care Team
Journeyman

Mainly in 32839 John young and 33rd

Master

southernclimber, I assume that you've got a Mobile Hot Spot addon for your plan and have enabled the Hot Spot on the device, as well.  If not, that is necessary in order to stream data through tether on the S5.  I also just wanted to clarify, you mention that your phone doesn't get LTE.  Is it that the phone doesn't pick it up at all or that the signal comes and goes, the phone having a hard time switching back to LTE from 3G or after a phone call?

*Christy

Sprint Social Care Team

Journeyman

Really , so I have to have a hotspot add on in order to run it. My gs2 did not require that it still ran just fine why the major difference, this is absurd. why offer a tethering set up if you have to have hotspot accessibility might as well just do wifi at that point so what's the point of the tether then? The more issues I'm find

with this phone the more I'm wanting to go back to my gs2 this is complete BS.

Master

southernclimber Thanks for the post. After reviewing the previous threads, I see that you will need to add the Hot Spot to your account. When you apply the Hot Spot to your account this will allow you to connect anywhere from your device to your tablet. The Hot Spot is a separate feature that will give you the ability to share your internet. Anntenetta Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Please enlighten me as to the reason why an older supposedly outdated phone has a better feature than this new supposed top of the line one? Can't talk and surf, can't use the Bluetooth to tether data, I got better reception with the 4g wiimax than the lte? Please explain why I should stay with this severely over priced crap?

Master

southernclimber I would be more than happy to explain why your old device worked better than your new device. Sprint's Network Vision plan includes access to three spectrum bands of 800MHz, 1.9GHz, and 2.5GHz. Some Sprint LTE phones are simultaneous voice and LTE, which means they can surf the web while on the phone at the same time. Unfortunately, the GS5 is a Spark device and do not have this feature. You can use this feature on WIFI and it will work. Anntenetta Sprint Social Care Team
Journeyman

Tethering on Sprint has always been legally supported by the hot spot add-on...  There have been ways especially with rooted phones to bypass this restriction.    There have also been Apps that can be purchased to enable a tether....

Frankly, I have found that feature for me to be less and less useful since the phones themselves can do almost everything I need anyway...  If I need to use my laptop or Kindle Fire, tons of free WIFI around especially linked to my home cable package these days..  

In addition, cars are starting to offer Hot Spots in cars...

With the expansion of LTE, my LTE usage has gone over 1.6GB this month....  Had to watch Preakness on my GS5 but luckily I was in LTE around NYC and got a great signal the whole time and could watch the race!!   

Journeyman

Where I work doesn't have wifi and we have hours of down time so I was referring to watch movies on my tablet vs my phone. That is one reason I enjoyed the tether. As well as being able to share the internet with my tablet to use the bigger screen to assist with what I wanted. 10 in vs 5in.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat