cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S5 problem switching from 3 to 4G

Go to solution
Journeyman

Galaxy S5 problem switching from 3 to 4G

Recently upgraded to Galaxy S5. Phone seems not to recognize when it's in a 4g area. And does not switch out of 3g to 4g. Only way to get it into 4g is to restart or update profile.

260 REPLIES 260
Master

Re: Galaxy S5 problem switching from 3 to 4G

Hello Starrynght4,

What price plan are you currently on? We need to verify that you have the correct pricing code on your account.

Thanks, Sharon Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

I'm on everything Data Share 1500, says I have premium data on both lines of service. We have an IPhone 5c also Galaxy S5. Only the S5 is having this issue

Master

Starrynght4,

That is strange. Phones will normally search for LTE every 30 minutes, and some will remember where it last picked it up for quicker connection to it. Try toggling airplane mode to get it to connect. Once it is on LTE does it stay connected? May I also get cross streets and zip to get a better idea of the network in your area? I'm here to help!

Thanks!
Samantha
Sprint Social Care Team
Journeyman

Yes I have been toggling airplane mode. No it doesn't stay connected. I mentioned on another post that I tried a ## code that seemed to reset phone and lte popped up. But it soon went away even though I hadn't changed locations. 14150 Delaware + Canton

Master

Starrynght4 - Took a look into that area and it does show that the 1st phase of the network vision upgrades completed recently. It does also show that the 2nd phase of upgrades are scheduled to start shortly. Thanks for your patience as we work towards improving your network. - Andrew B Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

Hi I also bought 2 galaxy s5 and I also currently have the galaxy s4 for some reason the galaxy s5 has problems connecting to the lte, in order to connect I have to put it in airplane mode while the s4 automatically connects. And I returned one s5 thinking it was the phone, but this new phone is also having that issue but not as much as my first s5. Could it be a software issue? I live in Gaithersburg MD and I have lte service in my area. I only have an issue with the s5 and not the s4 thanks

Journeyman

Mrper I had same problem I returned S5 for Note 3, no issues. It's because of Sprint spark that it won't connect it just cycles to search for spark band. Doesn't find it then drops to 3g.

Journeyman

I just bought my galaxy s5 and I remember when I was testing it in the store, it was using LTE. But this morning I realized it was only using 3g. I went into settings -> network connections -> more networks -> mobile networks -> network mode, and changed it from CDMA to LTE/CDMA. It needed to reboot first, but that seemed to do the trick. I hope this helps. ☺

Master

Hi Folks, we're investigating the issue with Spark model phones that seem to have trouble recovering signal when switching from LTE to 3G or vice versa.  At this time, the best workaround (temporarily, obviously) is to switch the phone to CDMA only which tends to stabilize signal.  We know you bought an LTE capable device for a reason and we're working to resolve this issue as quickly as we can so you can use the full potential of that great device.  As soon as a fix is in place, we'll publish information here on the forums with all the necessary information.

* Update*

My apologies folks, I got confused and thought this question was about going from LTE to 3G, not vice versa.  Of course, switching to CDMA only completely eliminates the ability of the phone to get LTE at all.  If you've entered an LTE area and the phone is not switching over, you should be able to toggle Airplane Mode and back out  to force the phone to find a new connection (hold down the power button until you get a popup, select Turn On Airplane Mode, give it a minute, hold down the power button again, wait for the popup and select Turn Off Airplance Mode).

*Christy

Sprint Social Care Team

Message was edited by: SprintCare with corrected workaround for the issue posted.

Journeyman

Same problem here in san antonio on 2 s5 phones just bought 2 days ago. Spark network problems. My fix was to disable band 41 in the data programming menu under lte with my msl code I got at the sprint store. Press ##3282# in your phone dialer to get to the menu you will need your msl code to edit the settings. I now have consistent lte signal with no drop outs on my 2 s5 phones and my coworkers phones also. Once sprint spark network upgrades are complete you can enable band 41 again and hope for no more problems. Sprint should send an update to this so they dont lose anymore customers.

Journeyman

I have the same problem here in Broomfield,Colorado. I am parked next to a active 4g tower and my wife has full LTE on her Galaxy s4 ( non spark) and I have 3G only. Glad I spent the money on the S5 with out LTE. Can I get wimax at least?

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat