Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S5 problem switching from 3 to 4G

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Galaxy S5 problem switching from 3 to 4G

Ironically I just started having the same problem on my spark S4.  I saw where someone posted earlier in this thread the fix that worked for me too.  Go into More Networks > Mobile Networks > Network Mode and change it from Automatic to CDMA/LTE/EVDO.  This seems to get 4G/LTE back.  Of course if you're in a spark area, doing this will turn off spark for you.  This appears to be a Samsung/Spark issue.  I haven't seen any of the other Spark phones having this problem.  And something has definitely changed on the network recently because I used to get 4G all the time before with my phone in Automatic network mode.  Now all of the sudden my 4G won't stay on unless I switch the network mode.  I suspect/hope this means they are working on Spark in my area and that's what's causing the problem.  Anyway, if you haven't already tried this, give it a try.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am currently in CDMA/LTE/EVDO mode (via ##3282# + MSL) but the S5 will still not switch over to LTE around known LTE towers. I have to toggle airplane mode every time to get LTE so I know its not a hardware issue. The S5 WILL JUST NOT AUTOMATICALLY SWITCH TO LTE. This is happening to a lot of people with S5's and M8's...I hope this can be fixed quick!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I currently live in the Tampa FL area. The 4G LTE coverage map reports that the entire area should be 4G LTE. However, my S5 is experiencing the same issues as the other S5 owners. I constantly find myself toggling my phone to and from airplane mode to acquire a 4G LTE connection. This is extremely frustrating. A majority of the time I am not aware that my phone has switched back to 3G. In addition to dropping the LTE signal, when in 3G mode my phone seldom rings when I get a call. One caller attempted to call me 3 times before my phone finally ring; of course the LTE signal had dropped and the phone had a weak 3G signal. I also get the message "Network Error, check Network Setting". I had a Sprint rep ping my street address at work and also gave them my home address; which is also on the coverage map as having LTE.

I was excited about switching to the S5 on Sprint after having a HTC phone the last two years, but I can't help but feel the Sprint customers who bought the S5 are not getting the full experience promised by Sprint; please correct this issue ASAP...

Journeyman

Guess the S5 is a little different than the Spark version of the S4.  I also tried the other suggestion from this thread of disabling Band 41 in the ##3282# menu.  I get LTE with network mode set back to automatic with Band 41 disabled.  Maybe try disabling Band 41...

Highlighted
Journeyman

To the person that said it was only Galaxy phones having the Spark problems - the LG G2 has serious problems with Spark, probably for longer, and more numerous problem than Galaxy - try a serach on LG G2 Spark - before even considering a G2.

The previous suggestions to turn off band 41 sounds like it might help.  I read that Spark phones don't have multiple antennas, or maybe radios, because Spark is 3 bands, so they can't monitor all 3 at once.  Too big, and too expensive to do it, so Spark phones switch from band to band to be able to use all 3 LTE bands that are being implemented by Sprint - could be faster and allow many more customers in the future, but problems now.

Sounds like with Band 41 disabled, you have a better chance at normal operation for now.  might be just like an S3 or an original S4 without Spark, but I think components are now removed from Spark phones.  It is a different animal, but try the turning off  Band 41, as suggested, and see if you get your LTE, and calls, for now.  Just my 2 cents.

Highlighted
Master

SDOT72

Here to help. Are you having these problems everywhere you go or just at home? What forms of troubleshooting have you done? Have you done a power cycle and profile update? Have you tried dialing ##72786# to re-provision your device?

Patrick N.
Social Care Team
Highlighted
Journeyman

The plot thickens, but I think I may have figured this out.  I was lucky enough to get a guy at tech support who really knew his stuff.  I explained the situation about Spark phones having trouble staying on 4G.  He gave me some interesting information that sheds some light on the situation.  I started having this problem around a week or so ago.  While he was helping me, he pulled up the towers around me and told me that most of the towers in my area had just recently had 800 Mhz voice added to them.  Recently - as in within the last week - which coincides with the start of my problems.  The 800 Mhz band is the old nextel frequencies - Band 26.  I went into the debug screen on my phone and lo and behold, whenever my phone gets dumped back onto 3G, I'm on Band 26.  There is no LTE (4G) on Band 26 in my area yet.  He indicated that they would be adding in in the next three months.  From what I've been able to gather about how Spark works, it can only have one radio connection at a time - which is why it can't do internet while you're talking on the phone.  I think whenever it connects to Band 26 for voice, it also has to use Band 26 for data, and apparently the only data available on Band 26 is 3G.  Eventually this problem will go away when they deploy LTE on Band 26.  But until then I think it's just a quirk/bug in the way Spark is being implemented, combined with the design of the Spark phones only being able to use one radio at a time.  I'm pretty sure someone at Sprint is well aware of this limitation, but they would never admit to the public or their customers that they purposely and knowingly deployed a crippled network with crippled phones.

If my assumptions are correct, this issue should only manifest itself in markets that are PARTIALLY Spark upgraded.  Once LTE is deployed on all three Spark frequencies, this shouldn't be a problem any more.  But during the upgrade process this is apparently how it's going to be.

The upshot of all of this is we might have to disable both Band 26 and Band 41 to get 4G until the Spark upgrades are completed.  I have tried this with pretty much good results.  I doesn't work 100% - you have to fiddle with it and restart your phone to get it to stick.  The downside of this is by disabling these bands - specifically Band 26, you will miss out on better voice coverage offered by the 800 Mhz frequencies.  So it 's a trade off.

Sprint really should be more forthcoming about this (because I'm sure their network engineers know about this) and let people know up front that their Spark phones aren't going to work properly until Spark is FULLY deployed.

Highlighted
Journeyman

How would I turn of band 41?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I think I proved my theory to be correct.  I was at my mom's house and a few other places today where I was getting LTE on Band 26 (800 Mhz).  So this means they are apparently in the process of adding LTE to the 800 Mhz band in my area.  There are still places where I only get 3G on 800 Mhz, but now that I know the work is apparently ongoing and that eventually I will be getting LTE on 800 Mhz, I feel a lot better.  I was getting awesome download speeds on 800 Mhz LTE too.  25-35 MB/Sec down.  That works for me.  So it should only be a matter of time before the network gets filled in with 800 Mhz voice and LTE.  I don't even care about Band 41 (2.5 Ghz), I'm happy with the better in-building penetration of the 800 Mhz frequency..

So I suspect all these problems people are having with the S5 and other spark phones are in fact network related.  I do think once they get all the kinks worked out, the network is going to be awesome - I got a little taste of the awesomeness today.  It's going to be a bumpy ride getting there though...

Highlighted
Journeyman

this is ridiculous sprint.....   fix this issue or give us all partial cash back for a partially working device.....   this is borderline false advertising considering most of your customers have not seen 4g on the galaxy s5 ever...... the 3g drops even with full bars making way for the #7 error  for no connection something that a next gen device shouldn't see

what happened to good business ethics.... now all companies do is release hardware for sale without testing that it actually works... wonderful business plan.... strongly considering leaving  sprint for at&t or Verizon.... good job sprint

Highlighted
Master

Cooljb what app are you using to look at the bands of service, I'm trying to find the same thing for my town, what band LTE we have her.

Any suggestions?

I come here trying to help people and I'm NOT employed by Sprint, so If my reply helped you or if you get an answer to your question from other users, PLEASE mark it as solved.
Highlighted
Journeyman

It's the debug screen.  In the phone dialer enter ##33284#.  You will need a code - its 777468.  You will then be at the debug menu.  You will see 2 1x menus, 2 EVDO menus, and one LTE menu - LTE Engineering.  Select the LTE Engineering menu.  The 5th line down you will see the BAND.  25 is 1900 Mhz - original Sprint PCS frequency, 26 is 800 Mhz (old NEXTEL frequency), and 41 is 2500 Mhz (Clearwire/WIMAX frequency).

There's another debug menu you can get more quickly.  In the phone dialer enter *#0011# and you will immediately be taken into another LTE debug screen.  On this screen the BAND is on the first line.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat