Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S5 problem switching from 3 to 4G

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

Galaxy S5 problem switching from 3 to 4G

Recently upgraded to Galaxy S5. Phone seems not to recognize when it's in a 4g area. And does not switch out of 3g to 4g. Only way to get it into 4g is to restart or update profile.

260 REPLIES 260
Highlighted
Journeyman

I traveled one town north of my home today and connected to 4g service no problem. I guess it is a tower issue.

Highlighted
Master

rlamson770,

Thanks for the update. I am glad that it is the tower and not your phone. It looks like we have already advised the techs to take a look at that tower earlier today.

Thank you,

Barry

Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm in Tampa bay. Same problems here. None of the fixes are working for me. Please stop with the tower nonsense. My S3 Switched correctly for years. It had to because I never got much 4g and when I did, it was larger unreliable. The funny thing... this is the third device I've bought from Sprint promising lte or 4 g. First my evo, then the s3 now the 5. It is sad that with all three I've never gotten the network performance promised. As much as I hate to say this, I think this is a flaw which Sprint simply won't fix.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I've gotten used to toggling airplane mode whenever I need LTE.

7 weeks later and no progress...

Highlighted
Master

JohnPanzarella,

Thank you for reaching out. I apologize for any frustration. Please provide the nearest cross streets and zip code so I can take a closer look. Let's see what's going on.

Jewel
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

for those of you having issues with 4g and connectivity issues, be aware a lot of people are having these current issues with different phones. its not just the S5. Google will soon be releasing android 4.4.3 to update the software to fix these issues. along with enabling band 25 and 41 i believe? maybe then that will help with issues we all seem to be having. i dont know. i am too having these issues at times in the Chicago area. so, my only advice is to maybe try to wait it out for the update from google and for sprint to push it through and see if it improves.

Highlighted
Master

RayRadtke,
Thank you for bring your issues and knowledge to the forefront. This is a known issue. At the moment, there is a fix in the works. We ask for your continued patience as we investigate this issue.
Alexes Sprint Social Care Team
Highlighted
Journeyman

So, my issue is a bit different. I've lived at my current residence for almost a year. In that time I had the Note 2 and then the Moto X. Both connected beautifully to the 5 bar LTE reception I have. Yesterday I went to see my old coworkers at the local corporate store and upgraded to the S5. I get home and now only have one bar of LTE. I checked, in on the legacy Sprint band. Of course, I updated prl, updated profile, updated to the latest release from Samsung, even did a factory data reset and then did all of those again. I noticed that when I switched to automatic, then back to cdma/lte, that I had full reception for about a minute. Now, im almost always on wifi, and here in Fredericksburg, Va we are still being built out for LTE, so its not a huge deal as far as the data usage. My issue is im getting worse battery life with the s5 than my Moto X. I took it off the charger at 930a, read some news for about a half hour, and used it to control my chromecast for netflix, so turning it on for maybe 3 minutes to change to the next episode, and I was down to 60% by 1p. Thats unacceptable. I am willing to lose my lunch break tomorrow running to the store to swap this out if that will fix the issues, but if it won't then I may have to consider taking my 10 years of being a customer somewhere else. Ive been patient about 4G through two network launches over the last few years. I finally thought I won't have this issue anymore since I haven't then I upgraded and lost out. Cross streets are excaliber Cir and lancelot lane since I know that will be asked. I know the tower is fine, because my room mate's Moto X is sitting next to my phone and had 5 bars while mine has 1.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Take your phone and get the service center to disable Spark. I live in Atlanta and Constantly get 3g. I'm sick of it. I upgraded from the S3 to S5. And I'm currently rocking 3G. Welcome to 2005.

Highlighted
Master

CAVEMAN7467 - Thank you for sharing your advice. I would also like to help with your issue. You stated that you have the Galaxy S5, and only get 3G. If possible, can you provide your zip code and nearest cross streets. I want to check the status of your location, to confirm why you are experiencing these issues, and report your location to our network team. Keep us posted, we are here for you. - Jonelle Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Master

thereakCK Thank you for providing your location so that I can look into this for you. I checked the nearby cell site and do not see any outages and performance is reporting good. Keep me posted Khalid Sprint Social Care.
Highlighted
Journeyman

Just went down the street from my house to my office. Sitting outside at Warrenton Rd and international Ave in 22406 I've got perfect reception on 4G. Very odd because I don't think I'm far enough away to be on another tower. I'll check again when I get home to see but I haven't changed anything so I don't know what I could suggest as a bug fix. Should I swap the phone out?

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat