cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S5 problem switching from 3 to 4G

Go to solution
Journeyman

Re: Galaxy S5 problem switching from 3 to 4G

Hello, I have had my S5 for ~3 weeks and have not had it connect to 4G (other than when I purchased it in the store).  I see this thread started in April, what is the Sprint solution to this known issue?

Thanks.

Master

WOMBATA- Have you tried toggling back and forth to see if that helps? Have you tried the device reset see if that kicks it in? - Steph
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Does all the s4's and s5's come with spark?

GrandMaster

no. there are 2 versions of the S4..ditto for the S3 now..so if you have a S4 or S3 you'll have to check the model number OR look at the top notifications area for that weird spark star looking thing.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Master

dmorton84 - Thank you for posting. the s5 is Spark capable but not all s4's are capable. Also, in order for the s5 to pick up spark you will need to be in a location that has it. - Nyyota
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

I see all of this is from April and May yet I am having thenough same problem with my new S5. Before this I had an S4 and had very few issues with my service. I got the phone 2 days ago and since then I have not had more than one bar period on LTE, and it's only actually been on LTE twice. Even on 3G it has been terribly slow and I have just been home and connected to Wi-Fi. I am very disappointed with this and it is pretty unacceptable that this has yet to be resolved

Journeyman

Casey, what zip code are you wondering about?  The reps need to tell you if 800mhz has being installed in your area because it should pick up better.  The non-spark phones (earlyier S4's) only had 1900 mhz.

Do not forget, you have 14 days from the time the phone was activated, INCLUDING THAT DAY AS DAY 1 OF THE 14, to get that phone back to Sprint.  If it is not working to your satisfaction, I suggest you return it, have them reset your number back to it's previous contract status, but they might charge a restocking fee, so maybe you could exchange it, since I have heard of bad S5's and others that took multiple swaps to get a good one, but swap does not reset your time - do not go over the supposed "14 days" from the original activation to get it back to them!  Good Luck, and post back to everybody.

Oh, and did you buy it a Sprint store, Best Buy, or Amazon.  I did a Note 3 from Amazon, had problems like you, called them, they marked it for return, gave me a label link to print from, got it back, and several days later, reset my number back to no contract.  I am waiting for our area to get stable, but it is not working out (Eastern end of Birmingham).  I got an Airave from them, and use that on my own internet.  I refuse to upgrade untill their mess is completed if it ever is.  I have had Sprint for 15+ years, because I am keeping my flip phone, and price.  We have had LTE for months, but the Sprint store was packed out the door the other day, because we had multiple towers down.  I heard that the new LTE tower setups have copper running up the inside of the towers, and the crack heads and bandits are stealing the copper, which puts the tower out of commission, of course.

Journeyman

By the way, I believe I had read previously that there is a way to turn off the 800mhz band that might not be implemented in your areas, like maybe it was band 41, so that it won't switch you over there for voice, and then there is no 800mhz LTE yet, or no anything on 800 mhz.  Y'all can do some searches on this site, and find all that action, to see if it will circumvent your problem for now.  Or maybe a rep will post that info back.  But it is looking like to me that the new equipment is weaker and has reduced the coverage on the old 1900 mhz, so the new 800mhz might be needed by you, as soon as it is available.  Somebody told me 3 months around here.  I will test it in the Sprint Store, and ask around before I order again.  If you go with a non-spark phone, then 1900 mhz is all you have to look forward to, so I decided to just wait, after returning a Note 3 with poor coverage, though my old flip phone was working fine, but now all Sprint coverage around Eastern Birmingham is in the ditch!

Journeyman

The area code in my area is 87114

Master

caseytillis,

Thanks for posting. The nearest tower to you has been 4G enabled. However, there are several towers near by that are yet to receive these upgrades. We are working around the clock to close these holes quickly. You may want to change your network settings to CDMA, to help stabilize your service until these upgrades have been completed. I've also reported your location to our network team, so they can investigate the network further.

- Duane
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

caseytilis,

I found this April post below (one of the few good ones for Sprint) on another site, but other newer posts say everything around there is now bad.  Uh, so band 41 is 1900 mhz (see below)?  Maybe my previous post was wrong, but I did say to check it.  There were several posts that discounted the post below

Sprint now has the first wave of LTE in Albuquerque, go to the surround streets near the airport, montano and coors, and downtown area all have been reported and I personally have took my device there and yes Sprint is slowly turning on one tower once it's complete. I talked to centurylink and Sprint officials, now the whole 4G LTE upgrade will be fully complete in June 2014 and this will include the ABQ metro area! Sprint is currently broadcasting in 1900ghz LTE band 41 signal.

You should check your Sprint store, and with other Sprint users to find out where LTE is implemented, and where signal should be good, and test test that phone.  If you can't get THAT phone to work well anywhere, swap it if you have enough time, or return it while you can.  If it is bad, keeping it is a huge mistake.  Sprint will only follow policy on your phone (14 days) INCLUDING day 1 of activatuon, and will not cover you. There are no exceptions. Good Luck!

Master

SPR101user, Hey there! Is there anything we can help you with today? If you have any questions or concerns don't hesitate to let us know. We're here for you. - Kimberly
Sprint Social Care
Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat