cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S5 problem switching from 3 to 4G

Go to solution
Journeyman

Re: Galaxy S5 problem switching from 3 to 4G

My mom and I have been with Verizon for over 10 years.we recently switched due to Sprint having unlimited data, however we haven't been very happy with the 3G, occasional 4G signal or Spark.Nothing has worked.We live in 46748 and 46825 area. It is obviously frustrating. We aren't sure what to do. Is there a way to eliminate Spark and/or improve to 4G all of the time? Also, is there a way to link FB contacts to regular phone contacts automatically and not manually to samsung instead of device?

Thank you. Nicole.

Master

nicolemdavid We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. I have checked the area and there are currently no reported issues in zip code 46748. To narrow down the search, please provide 2 cross streets.

In zip code 46825, ticket number 3840603 is currently open for 4G LTE issues. The ETR is 11/12/14. When you're in the area may I suggest turning 4G off in order to save the battery life.

Lavauna
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

nicole,

You can go into your network settings, and force to CDMA, which should stop the swap to LTE for now, and help you with calls.  Sprint can chime in, but I do not believe there is any way to force LTE.  Once LTE is most everywhere, it should take care of itself.

Journeyman

This is a reply to SprintCare Kimberly calling me out.

We, in the Eastern end of Birmingham from I459/I59 intersection, north to Center Point (zip 35235) are supposed to have wonderful coverage.  I'm near Pine Tree Drive, and High Point Terrace.

I believe my main tower is off of Medical Park Dr East.  This is on a big hill over a large hospital, with suffering Sprint customers, continuing to ruin their lives, if they are still living - like me.  We have had problem after problem in this area for 5 years or more, but though we have had ticket after ticket after ticket, stacked to the moon, it only gets worse.  The reseller in the area (they closed the eastern Sprint corporate store) had people lined up with phone problems the other day, and several times last week, but they were not phone problems.  I call the trouble line (866-556-7310) every day or so, and there is always a ticket closing in the next day or 2.  The tickets do close, bu the hangs/network busy during call setup times out, and failed outgoing text sends still remain.

This tower still has capacity issues in the morning and afternoon/evening, but nothing is ever done.  Remember, I have been a Sprint customer for over 15 years, and have wasted well over hundreds of hours over the years in chunks of several hours per problem, but recently much more trying to keep the Sprint network running, from here to the Florida panhandle.  I have always been hoping for an end of the problems, in the 21st century sometime.  An optimist, I guess, but looks like I have engaged stupid life wasting work, just tring to help Sprint, and all the suffering Sprint Customers.

So, what say you as to why my area is having this latest problem, though LTE and fast 3G supposedly rule here now.  LOL

Master

SPR101user, Hey there! Thanks for your post. If there is anything I can do for you, please let me know. I'm here to help! - Dillon
Sprint Social Care
Master

SPR101user,

Thanks for reaching out. I did a little research on the area, and I do see that there is still a ticket opened in that location. The tower near 1st Street NE is currently being repaired. I have alerted the network team that there are reports of service interruptions, and anticipate it being resolved in a timely manner.

- Mabel
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

I just upgraded as well and having same issue

Journeyman

My Galaxy 5 now has no problems getting to LTE when not busy...  I have found that in many cases when streaming music or radio stations, it works just fine at 3G and just stays there... I have found in my experience that it does flip on its own from time to time to LTE...  With the new data plans and usages, there is no way I can figure out easily on the website what my LTE usage is anymore...  What I have found is my phone will switch to and hold LTE when not otherwise busy with streaming without an issue.. 

Now the markets I am in are markets that have had LTE running for a while now and I am getting all 3 bands including some Band 41 even in Charlotte which is not officially a Spark city yet..

Master

ToniaBrown9305, I am sorry to hear that you're having trouble after updating. What is the make and model of your phone?

- Jeffery
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

I upgraded to the Galaxy S5. I am doing the ##72786# several times a day. It is horrible. I can make calls but no txt or data unless I have wifi. My boyfriends S3 has great service and I have nothing.

Master

DOUG_H,
Is your device set to CDMA/LTE? If so, this is the reason why it switches from 3G to LTE randomly. This setting switches your data connection when a signal is stronger than the other, to provide you with optimal coverage. - Tiara
Sprint Social Care
Master

ToniaBrown9305,
This is odd. Is your device showing a 3G or a 4G LTE icon in the status bar? You can try switching between the two. This usually resolves the issue. - Tiara
Sprint Social Care
Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat