Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S5 problem switching from 3 to 4G

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Galaxy S5 problem switching from 3 to 4G

Mabel, many tickets have been closed, but this area is in very bad shape.  Intermittently can't send texts, ACK not received cause code 34.  Calls stay in setup, then say network busy.  No relief in sight.  Got a mailing to please come back (on another account), claiming vastly improved network.  FRAUD!    H E L P ! !

Journeyman

It does not have 3g, 4g or lte. My settings are as requested but nothing. Only time I get lte is when I do the ## thing and it lasts maybe 5 mins but in that time no data either then it goes away. My fiance has s3 and he gets 4g 3g when I have only have 2 little bars. Its so frustrating I paid higher amount to upgrade to what I thought was a better phone. But how good is a phone that wont work. I travel to and if im on the road I cant use anything but maybe a phone call which is awful because I am used to internet, navigation etc

Master

SPR101user

We will definitely need to find out what is going on. Open this link http://bit.ly/1qQty1X and we will find out what's going on.

Thanks,

Pamela
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

This issue is affecting me at work where I have a strong 3G signal and a very weak 4G signal.  I normally have my Galaxy S5 Network Mode set to LTE / CDMA.  However, that causes my phone to only receive the weak 4G signal with occasional dropouts, while ignoring the strong 3G signal.  My only recourse is to change to CDMA mode and forgo 4G.

On May 20, SpirntCare posted the following, and I am wondering if it has been resolved or abandoned.

10. Re: Galaxy S5 problem switching from 3 to 4G

SprintCare May 20, 2014 5:11 PM (in response to MRPERU0007)

Hi Folks, we're investigating the issue with Spark model phones that seem to have trouble recovering signal when switching from LTE to 3G or vice versa.  At this time, the best workaround (temporarily, obviously) is to switch the phone to CDMA only which tends to stabilize signal.  We know you bought an LTE capable device for a reason and we're working to resolve this issue as quickly as we can so you can use the full potential of that great device.  As soon as a fix is in place, we'll publish information here on the forums with all the necessary information.

Master

PapaKevin, Thanks for reaching out! I know that service issues are never any fun. I would like to take a closer look in the area that you are having issues in. In order to do so may I please have your zip and cross streets? If there are any issues I will be able to report the area to our technicians. Thanks. *Jazmine Social Care
Journeyman

Jazmine, I should have clarified that I am experiencing this issue with indoor cell repeaters.  The 3G signal in my area is coming from a nearby indoor Sprint antenna, which I believe is fed from a roof antenna.  The 4G signal is from a recently installed repeater that services other areas of the building.  My area gets a weak 4G signal ranging from 1 bar to none, and we get a strong 3G signal.  I thought the S5 is supposed to switch to the strongest signal when set to LTE / CDMA, but it stays in LTE mode even when the signal is too low to provide reliable phone service.  When outside, I do not notice a problem, possibly because I am seldom in a 4G fringe area long enough to be affected.  My office area is ideal for troubleshooting because it provides a controlled signal environment where the problem and workaround solutions can be duplicated.  What I have observed repeatedly is that my S5 will not switch to the strong 3G signal when receiving a very weak 4G signal.

Update: This issue is being worked in a new thread titled "Galaxy S5 doesn't switch to strong 3G signal from very weak 4G signal"

Master

PapaKevin,

We're sorry to see that you're in this situation. Please allow us to turn this around for you by sending us a private message. Please visit http://bit.ly/1qQty1X to provide the requested information. We look forward to hearing from you.

Josh
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Josh, thank you for your quick reply.  This type of issue has been reported by others since last April, and we were told it's being worked.  The tread titled "Galaxy S5 LTE showing 1 bar" includes a SprintCare response from Sean on June 18 and reiterated by Audrey on Oct 14 stating the following.

"There is a known issue with the S5 and LTE. This can be linked to the spark capability on these devices. We are working with the manufacturer to get this under control."

With no progress in 6 months, I will not hold my breath for a solution any time soon, and I don't see any value in our pursuing a solution.  Thank you again for your prompt attention to this issue.

Journeyman

Ok ive been having the same problem for about 5-6 months now. Since ive gotten the phone, I had no problem with the s4. Its really getting on my nerves and i dont understand why im paying this much if I cant get what im promised. My area is 07080 south plainfield nj. Ive turned off my band 26 and band 41 and nothing. Ive checked and been on cdma+lte+evo. Even in my regular setting ive made sure my settings is on cdma/lte preferred, ive toggled air plane mode over and over. This is ridiculous, if I dont get the proper speed that im paying for and whats advertised.. I will switch carriers if this problem continues. Ive sucked it up for close to 6 months now

Journeyman

I figure it out its you sim card. The simcard controls the LTE, my problem was  i had the wrong sim card registered on my account.  Any problems with the lte on the S5 is the SIM CARD.

Journeyman

Check you sim card it controls the lte

Master

philly494 - We would hate to see you go! There's no outages, but upgrades are being completed. Once it's done, you'll see an improvement in your services. I will alert our network team about the issues you are experiencing. I understand how time-critical this can be and I appreciate your patience. - Latonya
Sprint Social Care
Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat