cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S5 screen will not rotate shortly after restart

Journeyman

Galaxy S5 screen will not rotate shortly after restart

I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 that is about 4 months old. It is running lollipop. A few days ago the screen stopped rotating. I have checked to make sure the screen rotation is on in Settings > Display > Screen rotation. I have restarted the phone. I have done a hard reset (pulled the battery and let it sit for a few minutes). I have booted the phone is safe mode. I have not added any new apps recently. I have done a factory reset. All of which have not corrected my issue. If I turn off screen rotation and restart the phone then turn screen rotation back on, the screen will rotate and work properly anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours. Eventually it will stop again. I am at a complete loss here.

I have attached a screen shot showing the accelerometer and gyroscope working. I have also attached the screen shot from the times it goes completely dead. The fact that it works for a short time after a restart leads me to believe this is a software issue.

9 REPLIES 9
GrandMaster

Re: Galaxy S5 screen will not rotate shortly after restart

take it into a repair store. they will have some diagnostics they can run on it to see what is going on. when you had it in safe mode it still messed up correct? did you receive any other updates just prior to this happening?

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Any idea if I will have to go through the insurance and pay a deductible to get it repaired? It is still under Samsung warranty.

It still had the issue in safe mode and no mew updates that I'm aware of. I'm tempted to roll it back to kit kat but I've read doing that doesn't correct this issue. Also I have cleared the system cache and the problem is still there.

GrandMaster

you shouldnt through Samsung. i believe the only thing you would have to pay for is the shipping to get it there..you'll still be left without a device until they return it back to you though which isnt going to help much. having insurance (TEP) on the phone will insure that you wont have to pay the repair store anything for them to look at the phone though. they might be able to flash the update back onto your phone again with their equipment there. i havent heard a lot of complaints about this so far. usually if its due to a update you see tons of people reporting it in here.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Well I found a Sprint repair location that had an S5 screen in stock. I had the screen replaced and the rotation worked for about a month. I have made no changes to the phone. Slowly the screen stopped rotating. To the point where it stops multiple times a day. Now the screen rotation will only work if I do a hard reset (pull the battery), let it sit for a few minutes, and power it back up. The rotation will work for a few minutes to an hour but ultimately will stop working again. I have done a factory reset again since the screen was replaced. I didn't open or add anything after the factory reset and it made it about an hour before the screen stopped rotating. I don't want a refurbished phone.  The phone is only a few months old and this problem is not acceptable.

GrandMaster

after the factory reset did you add all your apps back onto the phone or did you keep it bare bones to test it?

Journeyman

I left it completely bare bones stock. The only thing I can think of left would be to have a Samsung store flash it and put a completely fresh OS on it or replace the phone.

GrandMaster

a repair store can do this as well. if it were something internal it would normally start messing up out the gate and not down the road or within a few hours. i was leaning towards rogue app but since you went bare bones that ruled that one out as well.

Highlighted
Journeyman

So latest update. Sent the phone off to Samsung because the Sprint store would only offer me a refurbished phone. Checking the status of the phone and it said "Unauthorized repair / Different color on receiver". I called samsung and asked them to explain this to me. Samsung said "If a Sprint location repairs a phone it voids the factory warranty." I couldn't believe that. They said "the phone is damaged beyond repair." I told them "the phone worked flawlessly with the exception of the screen rotation and I sure hope it is returned to me in working condition." I am beyond frustrated with Samsung's position on this.

I called the Sprint store and they said they have all the certifications to work on every phone except iPhone. The Samsung rep said that's not right. I am still waiting on my S5 to show up so I don't know what kind of condition it's in.

samsung.JPG

GrandMaster

yeah im a bit lost on that one. sprint repair stores are able to work on everything but the sealed phones. meaning anything with a built in non removable battery they are unable to open and work on if im remembering right. the S5 has a removable battery correct?

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat