Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hiding contact groups in S5

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

Hiding contact groups in S5

I have 10 contact groups set up in gmail for business contacts, friends, etc..  For example, I keep old/seldomly-used contacts in a group called 'old.'   The Galaxy S3 would allow me to choose which contact groups would display in my address book.  I would not see names for people associated with the group = "old" in my alphabetical list of contacts, but I could manually search for the person using the search box.  Can anyone tell me how to select which contact groups are displayed in/hidden from my contact list on the S5?  If I can't select which groups are displayed in my contact list, this is a definite step backwards for me.  Thanks in advance.

10 REPLIES 10
Journeyman

Re: Hiding contact groups in S5

Hi there,

I do work for Sprint and as a Product Ambassador I have had the opportunity to use the device for a few weeks now.  From within the Contacts app you can select Menu > Settings > Contacts > Contacts to display.  From there you can select which contacts you want to be dispayed.  Hopefully this was helpful

Master

KathyC312,

Thanks for reaching out to us here in Sprint Community. It looks like drezzzzy gave some great advice! Thanks drezzzzy! Let us know if you have any more questions. We are here to help.

Have a great day.

Lucia
Social Care
Journeyman

Thank you for your reply.  If I'm in the Contacts screen and I click on the 3 dots (menu icon), then select Settings, I only have 2 options:  a)  Import/Export and b) Swipe to call or send message.  Can you tell me how I can get to the Settings menu of which you speak?  Thanks in advance.Screenshot_2014-05-13-10-01-10.png

Master

KathyC312,

Oh no! I just want to clarify what steps you have taken to get to this spot. Did you go to your: Contact screen, then you pressed the menu key, go down to the contacts to display, and highlight your G-Mail account? Let me know!

Lucia
Social Care
Journeyman

Hello...From the home screen, I touched the "Contacts" icon and then touched the menu button (3 vertical dots).  The menu choices were:  a) Delete b) Speed dial c) Settings and d) Help.  I selected "Settings" and was brought to the screenshot I posted earlier which only had 2 options:  a)  Import/Export and b) Swipe to call or send message.  Thanks.

Master

KathyC312 -Tap on import/export it will ask you import from Gmail. - Joanne Sprint Social Care Team
Journeyman

Hi Joanne.  I've already imported my contacts from gmail.  The problem is that there are too many of them.  All groups are displayed.  I appreciate everyone's input but I would like to know the steps to hide certain groups of contacts on my phone.  Per my original post, this was an option on my S3 and I would like to know how to do this on the S5.

Master

KathyC312,

Sorry about all the confusion. Try going into your actual contact application. Click on the contacts tab then hit the menu button for settings. This will give you the Contacts to display option that will let you actually customize the contacts you want hidden or shown. Keep me posted that you were able to locate the setting. Thanks.

Crystal
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Thanks for your input but I figured out the problem.  As noted earlier in this thread, I only had 4 options under the "Settings" menu in Contacts.  The reason I didn't have the full set of menu options is that the phone was in "Easy Mode."  Apparently it defaults to easy mode straight from the factory.  For those who are having the same problem, follow these steps to change your phone to Standard Mode:

1.  From home screen, swipe down from the top of the screen to see your notifications

2.  Click on the Settings icon (gear)

3.  Scroll down and to "Easy Mode" and select it

4.  Change from Easy Mode to "Standard Mode"

Voila!  You now have many more settings options in Contacts view.  I figured this out by accident when trying to fix the problem of my phone not having a "mute" option while I was on a call.  Standard mode fixed both problems.

Master

KathyC312,

Awesome, I am glad to see you got it figured out along with including steps on what you did. This will defiantly help others in the future. If there is anything else you need, please let me know. We want to help!

Thanks!
Samantha
Sprint Social Care Team
Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat