cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Marshmallow battery life sucks!

Journeyman

Marshmallow battery life sucks!

Ever since the update to marshmallow the battery life really sucks.

The battery lasts about half as long under marshmallow as it did with lollipop, I find the phone is always warm, a reboot helps for a little bit but the problem returns within an hour or two.

Charging? The phone is always drawing 450ma (using various apps available in the play store) I use wireless charging it delivers under 1amp, makes it tough to complete charging by morning.

Sprint what's the deal with the battery life? When is a fix coming out? If not soon how about rolling back to lollipop?

TL

8 REPLIES 8
Wizard

Re: Marshmallow battery life sucks!

Try a reset on your phone. Yes, it's a pain but it usually fixes like that.

Master

Hello Time-Lord!

As Katt50 mentioned, a master reset could help fix the issue also,

disabling some features and modifying settings may help. 

Reducing the backlight brightness and backlight timeout can improve battery life, you can try turning off the Wifi and Bluetooth when you are not using them.

What is the make and model of your phone?

Ina.

Sprint Social Care.

Ina.
Sprint Social Care Team.
Journeyman

Ina,

Considering I'm posting in the Samsung Galaxy S5 forum it's a pretty good assumption that's also the phone I'm using, and it is.

I took the plunge against my better judgement and performed a factory reset on the phone, a PITA is an understatement due to some of the software that is keyed to my phone (work email and OTP generators).

It appears to have helped the battery life although the phone was burning through the battery pretty quickly this morning and the phone was quite warm to the touch, it mysteriously stopped a few minutes later.

The phone is now randomly putting up the message that I should check that the back cover is properly attached, there is no option to not show the message again.

The phone has randomly put up the message that after the phone was restarted that I had to enter the password and not use the fingerprint reader, only problem was the phone had not restarted however a few minutes later the phone crashed.

I did not have these problems with Lollipop, I will not be performing another factory reset without proof positive that will fix the issue, I'm tired of using a sledgehammer to blindly try to fix a problem that may not be currently fixable.

In addition after the factory reset the phone for about a day was extremely sluggish, this seems to have gone away, I wonder if that means the battery life issue will now return?

Not impressed with the regression testing that Sprint has done on this software image before rushing to push it to all their customers.

-TL

Wizard

That's a strange issue. It's definitely too old for manufacturers warranty. If you have insurance, it's time to use it. If not, might be time for a upgrade.

Journeyman

Because Sprint pushes out Samsung's software before it's fully vetted I'm supposed to junk my phone an buy a new one?

-TL

Highlighted
Wizard

True. It's a problem with older phones and updates.

Journeyman

so you are telling me that it is ok for the manufacturer and the provider to purposely break the phone to force an upgrade?

Wizard

Nope, it's not right. But it's happened before and will happen again. Unfortunately, Sprint wouldn't do anything about it.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat