cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Next update: 4.4.4 or 5.0 Lollipop?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Next update: 4.4.4 or 5.0 Lollipop?

There's a number of threads on here started by users like me who were looking for the 4.4.4 update, as it's supposed to solve some assorted issues that we're having with the Samsung Galaxy S5. For example, I've had a continued issue with Bluetooth stuttering on both G5s that I've owned. I've done everything asked of me by Sprint and Samsung support teams (so Sprint, if you're reading this, stand down, we've been through this before). It's a known issue in 4.4, and the 4.4.4 update was supposed to fix it, but we haven't gotten it, despite other carriers getting it.

OK, fine.

We also know that Samsung is looking to release 5.0, Lollipop, "soon". Some Android rumor sites have placed this release in the late November-early December timeframe. Again, this is rumor, but ok.

This leads to my question- at this point, is it known if US Sprint Samsung S5 devices will get 4.4.4 and then 5.0, or are we going to be skipping 4.4.4 and getting just 5.0 instead? I'm not optimistic that the Sprint Care reps here will know- I'll bet a dollar that the answer I'll get will be "check our news page" or "Samsung pushes the update out, so wait and see!", but I figured I'd try to see if anything is known yet. Other carriers got 4.4.4, we didn't, we never knew why, and I've long given up on finding out, but maybe we'll get some idea of a Lollipop release from this thread.

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Master

WISHLISH - We appreciate your feedback. The update release is being worked on. Please continue to be patient throughout this process. Thank you. - Kayan Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

I love how Sprint answers a question WITHOUT answering a question.

"The update release is being worked on." Again, which one? 4.4.4 or 5.0? If it's being "worked on", wouldn't that be the minimum bit of information you'd need?

Please don't ask me to be patient. I've listened in the car to hundreds of hours of crappy Bluetooth audio and haven't gotten a straight answer on this for months. And I've done everything you've asked me to do. I signed up for a two-year contract and got a phone that can't use the Internet while I'm talking, so I can't use it as a GPS (which, as a commuter, is critical functionality for me). You've had no answer for my Bluetooth problem for months. I've BEEN patient. Please don't insult me.

All I asked is whether the next US release is 4.4.4 or 5.0. You've now told me, yes, it'll be one of them. Can you narrow that down a bit?

Highlighted
Master

WISHLISH- I do apologize. We currently do not have any information on which will be released. It is best to check the community page for Samsung Galaxy S5 on more information about which update the device will be getting.
- Melyssa
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

They can't narrow it down because sprint doesn't tell it's reps anything useful. These sites that talk about 5.0 exaggerate the days and usually the Google phone such as the nexus phones get the updates super fast. It's just amazing how the note 3 received the update to 4.4.4 a week before the note4 came out but the s5 doesn't get it at all even though it's a "flagship device".

Highlighted
Journeyman

YEA. I DO NOTICED THAT SAMSUNG S5 IT DOING SAME THING WITH BLUETOOTH ISSUE IN MY CAR IT CUT OFF AND MY SAMSUNG  WATCH IS DOING IT TOO SOME TIME WITH THE WATCH THEY NEED TO FIX THIS ISSUE WHERE IS THE UPDATE

Highlighted
Master

nautica1982, thanks for posting. Have you tried any troubleshooting steps yet? We are too anxiously waiting for more info on the next update. Keep posted here on the S5 forums for breaking news! - Sarah
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

Yep I try everything and nothing at all it still doing it as we speak it did this morning too update needs to come out

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat