Sprint Community Registration currently closed. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community Registration currently closed. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No LTE on Galaxy S5 in ATLANTA

Highlighted
Journeyman

No LTE on Galaxy S5 in ATLANTA

I am not sure what is going on, but I think it has to do with the new SPARK network roll-out.  On my galaxy S3, I had LTE coverage pretty much everywhere in METRO Atlanta.  It has been a year since I have seen the 3g icon in the city.  I upgrade to the Galaxy S5, and now I see the LTE icon for about 10 seconds when I restart my phone...but after that its all 3g.  How can a new phone not access the same as a 2 year old phone.  I called the store that I purchased the phone from, and the associate told me there is nothing wrong with my phone, that LTE is just not working on the S5 in Atlanta, and there is nothing they can do about it.  Is this true?

203 REPLIES 203
Highlighted
Journeyman

Same issue in Tulsa, OK on my new S5 and same issue on my wife's spark S4 phone. *** Also can't talk on phone and browse web simultaneously... which is a sign there is no LTE connectivity via available LTE Bands in my area.***  Thought it was odd when I got this phone that I could only see 3g towers... but after almost 2 solid weeks I called sprint... and none of the support reps (first or second level) seemed to have any idea what was going on (pretty sure Sprint knows what's going on and either reps are in the dark or reps are acting like they don't know whats wrong).   I was told to re-provision my phone using ##72786#... which I have done multiple times.  It forces my phone onto LTE spark for awhile... but data speeds are slow relative to 3g.  Huge lag as I start any browsing and nothing loads for about 30 or 45 seconds.  Then when it finally does start to load something... it's very slow.  Within about 4 hours of doing the first ##72786# re-provision... my phone had went back on 3g network.  I punched code in again and it forced back over to LTE Spark for the rest of the evening... but today looks like it's switched back over to 3g again.  Currently have a ticket w/ Sprint.   Rep did some "Pin Points" and I asked for a ticket #.  Problem is w/ "Pin Points" is that they are sprints way of documenting possible tower and area problems... rather than a way to document problems w/ devices.  Probably going to return my phone before the 27th if I can't find hope that this will be resolved quickly.

Highlighted
Master

JLRS, Hey thanks for reaching out! I would like to provide you with some insight on this device. When you are trying to talk and surf you can only do this on Wi-Fi there are some device restrictions that has caused this interference. Unfortunately you can't talk and surf on the network. I would be happy to take a look in your area and see if there are an issues with the tower that is affecting your data if you provide your zip and cross streets. Please let me know. *Jazmine Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

Hmmm im currently in Smyrna atm and I appear to be on band 26 which last I check was LTE Spark.

I actually had LTE icon up during the time

When I ran speed test I got 13.50 mbps down and 7.54 up.

ill monitor this later and see if I stay on band 26 on my daily routine

Highlighted
Master

Dark_Emerald_89,

Thanks for letting us know! It will only get better the closer we get to completing all of our service enhancements.

*Jazmine

Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

Any progress on this?  I purchased the S5 on the first day and I don't have much time left to return the phone if LTE functionality can't be fixed.

Highlighted
Journeyman

RUMOR of a patch being released this morning to help with this.  I have not received it yet or done any testing, but others are reporting a few positive things, along with actually being able to connect to LTE in some areas now.

Highlighted
Master

Fojee

Upgrade work continues to go on in the Atlanta area but it is going to take some time to complete. If you can provide us with a zip code and cross streets for your area I'd be happy to look into any updates for your location.

Alex
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

Jazmine ...Thanks for the insights... but shouldn't Sprint be a little more forthcoming in enlightening the rest of it's customers that the s5 does not support Simultaneous Voice and LTE (SVLTE).   I'm really aggravated that Sprint is willingly offering crippled devices to it's customers and has been planning to do so for over 18 months (see this linked 6 month old article as evidence of Sprint's willful customer negligence).  How did the writer of this article know Sprint would have these problems nearly 6 months ago except that Sprint also knew?  Not only have they known these Spark devices can't operate as SVLTE.. .but they knew the majority of the users would only be able to access 3g network until their markets are upgraded to offer bands 26 and 41 (800 MHZ and 2500 MHZ respectively). Those upgrades are 6 months to a few years out for alot of users.

So on to my specific problem:  I live at zip code 74008 and work at zip 74136.  Please tell me what you can.  I can currently force my spark phones to run on the normal LTE band 25 (1900 MHz) by re-provisioning with code ##72786#.  This will cause the phone to try to run on band 41, then 26 when that fails... and finally try to make it run on band 25 when band 26 fails.  The signal for band 25 on my Galaxy S5 and on my Spark enabled S4 is very weak compared to my Galaxy S3 running on the same band 25 in the same location.  It's weak enough that the S5 and the S4 only stay on band 25 part of the time and eventually revert over to 3g (where in those same locations... the S3 will remain on Band 25 LTE).  Is there a fix to force the S4 and the S5 to Band 25 at full strength... or are these phone simply handicapped by their limited hardware? 

BTW.. I'm using *#0011# to watch in service mode... what these phones are doing. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

SprintCare, thanks for the reply.  As I mentioned earlier I am in an area that has 4G LTE coverage already.  I would like to know if the Galaxy S5 will be updated so that it will connect and remain connected to LTE that is already deployed.  Currently the work around is to toggle airplane mode or reboot the phone but that's not exactly ideal...

Highlighted
Journeyman

TheLindseys, if you are referring to the ND2 update I installed it last night.  It didn't fix the LTE connectivity.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Fojee - I agree, it did nothing for the LTE.  I was hoping so and a couple seemed to report better things.  But I agree it did nothing to help.

SprintCare - Why release a stupid 41mb update for S view and S voice when no one cares about that, we just want our reception back.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Same problem here in san antonio on 2 s5 phones just bought 2 days ago. Spark network problems. My fix was to disable band 41 in the data programming menu under lte with my msl code I got at the sprint store. Press ##3282# in your phone dialer to get to the menu you will need your msl code to edit the settings. I now have consistent lte signal with no drop outs on my 2 s5 phones and my coworkers phones also. Once sprint spark network upgrades are complete you can enable band 41 again and hope for no more problems. Sprint should send an update to this so they dont lose anymore customers.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat