cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No LTE on Galaxy S5 in ATLANTA

Highlighted
Journeyman

No LTE on Galaxy S5 in ATLANTA

I am not sure what is going on, but I think it has to do with the new SPARK network roll-out.  On my galaxy S3, I had LTE coverage pretty much everywhere in METRO Atlanta.  It has been a year since I have seen the 3g icon in the city.  I upgrade to the Galaxy S5, and now I see the LTE icon for about 10 seconds when I restart my phone...but after that its all 3g.  How can a new phone not access the same as a 2 year old phone.  I called the store that I purchased the phone from, and the associate told me there is nothing wrong with my phone, that LTE is just not working on the S5 in Atlanta, and there is nothing they can do about it.  Is this true?

203 REPLIES 203
Highlighted
Master

JLRS,

What preferred network mode are you in? LTE/CDMA or Automatic?
Highlighted
Journeyman

After the update the S5 is on the LTE+CDMA+EVDO Mode within the IOTHiddenMenu...For whatever reason the S5 seems to not connect to LTE if band 41 is enabled. But I haven't had mine automatically switch to LTE with any combination of enable/disable. I hope it is just because my area is not Spark complete...I hope...

EDIT: Also to answer your question, yes the phone is also in the LTE / CDMA network mode. This problem either needs looking into or an explanation from Sprint.

Highlighted
Master

Hello anfronie,

You are on the right track to keep the device in the LTE/CDMA network mode. I would be glad to check your area to see when Spark will be completed.

Thanks, Sharon Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Wizard

Sharon

Do S5's on other carries have similar network issues as Sprint devices?

Just wondering if root cause is with Sprint or Samsung

Highlighted
Journeyman

It is for sure Sprint.  Everyone else is reporting there normal 100MB speeds on other carriers.  We are just being kicked to the curb as always.

Highlighted
Wizard

Yes, that is my experience with Sprint as well. My work smartphone with another carrier has never failed. Yet my personal Sprint smartphone is not supported by Sprints network.

Seems our only recourse is to continue filing consumer complaints on FCC.gov web site.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Posted this another thread, but want to make sure it gets addressed and seen by as many people as possible as its a major issue.  As more people purchase the S5 and can't connect to LTE, there will be a lot more complaints/returns of this phone.

"I am having the same issue also.  Seems to be a common problem with the S5.  With the S3, was able to connect to LTE no problem.  Now with the S5, I will connect to LTE for a couple of minutes, then would automatically fall back to 3G.  Have the settings to preferred network: LTE/CDMA and installed the latest update (ND2).  Is there an ETA on when this will be fixed???"

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hmmm from my little experiments I've been doing....
I appear to get LTE Spark (Band 26) more often now then I did when i initially got the phone...

At first, when at home (Stockbridge) I'd get LTE (Band 25) no problem but when I went else where....it would always stick to 3G (which i didn't have this issue on my S3)

While at work (Smyrna) I would only get 3G but lately I'd get LTE (Band 25)

Now...for the past few days I've notice LTE Spark (Band 26) more often now....while at work...I've had LTE Spark going on and actually worked for quite a bit of time...depending where I drove sometimes it would go to 3G..I'd get speeds more average of 13Mb Up / 7 Mb Down

Right now I'm home...and while I've been typing this....its been Band 26 for quite some time...sometimes it shifts in between 25 to 26 but never goes to 3G.

My Verdict: The signals is still......not as stable as it should be for a brand new phone...however, I will say I'm seeing progress as up until maybe this week monday I'd never see my phone on Band 26 (LTE Spark)
As long as they keep up the progress....I'll be an "overall" Happy Camper

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yes I think so too I live in Los Angeles CA and it's just sad. it's a great phone just on the wrong carrier. sprint customer service is just pitiful they tell me to do the same thing every time put never solve the problem and what really makes me Mad is that sprint knew about this problem and didn't say a single thing in the sprint store and sold me a device that is faulty. I can't watch videos I can't make calls because I'm always on 3g and it makes me mad to see my friends with a gs4 that gets lte than the new version then I have to deal with this stupid pre-installed carrier apps that I don't use and then sprint wants to take features from the phone like the download booster how come the t-mobile version has it but the sprint version does not sprint should go to court for this and be sued because the device is not performing as advertised and I'm turning my device in and switching carriers and telling all my friends not get sprint ever in there life and I know this is pretty long but considering the amount of money I payed for this **** who wouldn't complain I recommend every having this problem switch carrier because this is just pitiful and I

wish sprint would delete my comment I swear I'll go to the law with this because it's wrong and illegal to sell device that don't operate as advertised and sprint representative don't even brother replying trying to help you did enough!!!

Highlighted
Wizard

Sprint's network does not support many of its devices.

I have an S3, and they instruct me to turn off 4G LTE in order to stablize my signal. LOL

How about Sprint fixes its network and\or devices before deploying to its customers!

Highlighted
Highlighted
Wizard

Very interesting article. I am quite sure Sprint'S churn numbers will continue with he S5 issues.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat