cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No LTE on Galaxy S5 in ATLANTA

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: No LTE on Galaxy S5 in ATLANTA

uh... Everyone's bills say it is a $10 fee for premium data.  So that just means smartphones?  Sounds like our bills should be changed.  I would get that reported to the billing department.  This is right off my bill, tell me how this means smartphone?  Pretty sure everyone should be getting a refund until you fix the problem.

Premium Data $10 add-on charge

America - Roaming Included

SMS Text Messages

Long Distance While Roaming

Mobile TV

Sprint 4G Data Services

Sprint 3G Data Services

Dom Roaming Packet Data Kbs

Video Mail

Highlighted
Journeyman

John - All my other devices work fine.  Seems weird they are doing maintenance, that ONLY affects the S5.  Tab 3, S3, S4 all work and connect fine to LTE.  Sounds like a lame excuse for a different problem.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yes it is an excuse. They really dont have a clue why this is only happening to the S5 and not other LTE phones. Or they just dont want to admit they released an untested phone. TheLindseys did your exchanging the S5 for a new one help?

Highlighted
Journeyman

No.  I still can't stay connected.  The people in the Store were at a loss.  G2, iphone, etc. all connected to LTE standing in front of me, as I said, look my new S5 and I can't have LTE.  They replaced it because they didn't know why it wouldn't work.  If I reboot or go in and out of airplane mode, I will connect to LTE for about 10 minutes, then right back to 3g and it stays there until I reboot or something again.  Makes me think (especially how it's nationwide) that it is a network/tower issue or a software bug, but not a hardware issue.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have temporarily fixed my S5 by disabling band 26 on the LTE menu. I get and hold LTE in various locations in Atlanta on the normal band 25 when band 26 is disabled. The signal strength is much worse than on an S3 but I am still getting LTE on my new phone. The phone seems to stop looking for LTE if it cannot find it on band 26. The interesting thing is I was able to duplicate this on an LG G2 that LTE stopped working on as well.

Highlighted
Master

CAVEMAN7467,
What area are you in? Please provide your zip code and cross-streets. I'll check if it offers Spark or LTE. Do you know how to refresh your services on that new device? Let me know.
Yannick
Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

New info, proves the cluelessness of Sprint and this issue. Went to duluth ga store. I was informed that the Galaxy S5 is a spark only device. Currently it only operates on spark enabled LTE towers. I was told by there tech that the phone will stay in 3G until Spark is activated in our area. So I asked if I travel out of my area to a non spark LTE Sprint area say in florida, it will only be 3G! He said that's correct. What the Heck no one from Sprint ever told me I bought a Spark only LTE phone.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I Am really done before I return this phone I am hitting the media. Cnet, phonedog, Androidforum, Engadget everyone send emails to their editors. Before anyone else buys the hot new phone from Sprint.

Highlighted
Journeyman

For those who wasnt aware. LTE and LTE Spark arent the same thing

To my understanding S5 is 3G/LTE Spark.

S5 is unable to use the same LTE that S3 and S4 uses

Hence why LTE is down on the S5 and we only see 3G for most.

As big of a deal this is....im still more or less concerned about the fact that the S5 cant use phone and internet at same time and wondering was that intentional or something that needs to be fixed.

Direct fact answers are appreciated

Highlighted
Journeyman

The S5 CAN use the same LTE as the older phones. Spark is Sprint's name for their new network which the new phones support. The new network is 3 separate bands of LTE. The old band was band 25. Spark adds bands 26 and 41. The problem with the new phones is a software bug that makes the phone not try any of the other bands if it cannot get a signal on band 26. All you need to do is disable band 26 so it doesn't try to connect to it and you will hit band 25 like all of the older phones.

Highlighted
Journeyman

AtlTuna47.....  And how do I disable band 26?  Would love to get this fixed on my phone as well.

Highlighted
Journeyman

You have to go into the data menu of the phone and you need the MSL (unlock) code for your phone to make changes. Search XDA Developers forum for Galaxy S5 Sprint Spark kills data + voice calls at the same time!

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat