cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No LTE on Galaxy S5 in ATLANTA

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: No LTE on Galaxy S5 in ATLANTA

After Reading all this and speaking with Sprint.  We all can conclude,  This is NOT a Network issue.  This is a device problem.  If it is as simple as turning off the Spark Bands so the phone looks to the normal LTE,  then Sprint needs to inform all there techs of this and work up a software update to address this issue. 

Although,  im of the same mind as most,  if I cant get my S5 on LTE,  then im sending it back.  Im not going to deal with 3G for several years waiting for the network to catch up top the device.

Highlighted
Journeyman

The data menu is hidden, but they have pretty good instructions on that thread to show you how to get in and to get your MSL code. You can also get it from Sprint. This does not involve rooting your phone so you can still take it back if you are not happy with the results.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thats good,  I played with Rooting on my S3 and almost bricked it.  I will give this a try.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I don't want to go back to my S3 if I don't have to. And since I ordered my phone from Tele sales I would have to pay shipping, etc. I also want my contract restarted now so that in 2 years I will be ready for a new upgrade sooner. And realize that this problem is not exclusive to the S5. It is happening with all of Sprint's new tri-band phones. I suspect it is something that can be fixed in the prl file, but I don't know that for sure. For now, I am happy to have LTE on my shiny new S5.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint tech just called me back and is going through disabling the bands.   He is also telling me there is a 'circuit switch back' on the tower that may need switched on,  and it making a ticket on it. 

I must say,  I think I found the best tech sprint has. 

Sad part is,  Turning of the Spark bands did not work in my case.

Highlighted
Master

nhlfan079, I am glad that you got a resolution! Is there anything else that I can do for you? *Jazmine Social Care
Highlighted
Wizard

Typical of Sprint to not divulge the device issue until a customer escalates.

Moreover, sounds to be an issue where once again, Sprint devices don't work as they should.

Whey doesn't Sprint actually fix the bug rather than workaround?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Jazmine, are you serious?  Surely, you're not serious.  You're glad I "got a resolution"?  Did you bother to even read what I said that resolution was?  It was sending the darned phone back to Sprint and reactivating my old device for a couple of days until I have the time to port my number to another provider.  I'm so happy that you are happy that I'm on my way out the door.  Sheesh.

Highlighted
Journeyman

One important thing that I forgot to mention... you need to reboot your phone after disabling the band 26.  You cannot just put it into airplane mode and back out.  It needs to be rebooted.  Also, if you update your PRL and/or Profile it will reset the changes you made.  You will need to go back in and make the changes again.  If you had band 25 LTE on another device, you should have it on the S5, LG G2, or Nexus 5 after disabling band 26 and rebooting your phone.  I did it 2 days ago on my phone and this morning on a coworkers LG G2.  It worked great on both.

I make no apologies for Sprint.  They made a mistake and sent out an update that did this.  I am sure they will send out an update to fix it soon.  Until then, this fix works and you can enjoy your new phone.

Also, when Sprint does get band 26 up and running I am sure the LTE experience will be great.  Remember that the only phones that work on that new band are the three above and the later tri-band version of the S4.  So for a while we will have limited people having access to the new faster LTE on band 26 which will equate to higher speeds.

Highlighted
Wizard

Sprint continues to stumble and fumble.

Hilarious. I won't be upgrading devices with Sprint as none have ever functioned optimally.

Counting the days until my contract with Sprint expires.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Now that I know how this works imma check what band Im on when im away from my house. I appear to be on band 25 when im at home.

Thats normal LTE correct?

If so I have horrible speed for this which wasnt the same kind of speeds I was getting on my s3... ill test it out a little more later and see what happens.

when I leave my house 3g is every where. Ill monitor my phone tomorrow now that 26 is disabled to see if I drop to 3g when I leave the house.

Highlighted
Journeyman

The S5 does not get the same reception on band 25 that the S3 did.  With my S5 right next to an S3, I got 1 to 2 bars of signal while the S3 got 4.  That's probably why they set up the phone to prefer band 26.  The problem is they don't have band 26 in many places yet.  I was still getting 4-5 Mbps.  Not great, but usable.

As I understand it, band 41 is supposed to be the band that will reach further and have more building penetration because it is a lower frequency.  It is the old Nextel band. But again, they haven't upgraded many of the towers yet.

Oh the joys of being an early adopter!...

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat