Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No LTE on Galaxy S5 in ATLANTA

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: No LTE on Galaxy S5 in ATLANTA

Haha oh I see.

So....so I wonder why you cant be on the phone at the same time on band 25 like you can the s3? Or is that just hardware limitations

I hope when 26 is up and running that you can do both. Im not always doing both but I have my moments where its needed

Highlighted
Journeyman

So disabling band 26 worked and then restarting the phone. But my concern is at any point will they ship out a S5 with capabilities of surfing the web and being on the phone.

Is it true that the phone only has one radio on it?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Nope, as I understand it we will not be able to use data and phone for a while.  There is only 1 cell radio/antenna in the S5 so it can only talk on 1 band at a time.  You can use WIFI to surf and talk at the same time because that is a different radio.  When they come out with Voice Over LTE, you will be able to do it because that will be talking on the same band.  But I don't think there is any ETA on when that will be coming out.  It is encouraging that they will be releasing Calling Over WIFI soon.  They already have it on a couple of phones and Voice Over LTE seems like the next logical step.

As I understand it, it was not Sprint's choice to have 1 cell radio in the phone, but Samsung's.  Sprint will have to do a bunch of upgrades to their equipment for the new phones.  The positive side of having only 1 radio is that it uses much less battery.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yea the not being able to surf and talk wasnt a huge deal breaker just thought it was a step backwards but seeing that eventually itll use voice over just step in future devices

Lets just hope the6 implement spark in the Atlanta market soon

Highlighted
Journeyman

I like the phone but surfing the web and being on the phone was a nice feature. But I'm glad there is a temporary fix to the lte issue.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Let me get this straight I have to go into a special setting, and manually program the phone to just make it work...... Ok what is the reason to have this phone when it really doesn't work the best as phone, I am not paying all this money for a phone that will not work the way it was intended..it works as intended fine on the other networks. This post has gotten off track...it's not customers job to make a phone work. That's like buying a new car with a defective mirror that falls off. Then putting duck tape on it, until the car maker comes up with a fix to keep it attached......that's just stupid.

Highlighted
Journeyman

In retrospect the phone is "technically" doing what it suppose to do

It was designed for LTE Spark not the normal LTE

The problem, LTE Spark isnt up and operational

So....people have found a way to make the best of a bad situation so that the phone will look for normal LTE instead of by default looking for LTE Spark which is nonexistent in many markets

Highlighted
Journeyman

The phone isnt really the problem is the network

Highlighted
Journeyman

I understand that but when Samsung designed this phone for users they didnt build the phone so users had to mess with those internal settings to enjoy the phone. So it's intended experience is a miss on sprints network. if we were a month into this phone I could understand making the best of it but we are only a week and Within the 14 days. The Samsung Galaxy s4 works great actually better on Sprint then the S5. So why keep a phone like this.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I totally agree and Sprint doesn't care, thats the sad part.  They wont admit anything, they wont explain anything.  It is just all about the money.  Sell the phone, sell the phone, sell the phone.  Who cares the repercussions.  Just advertise something we don't offer and convince everyone to buy it.  Below is my Spark/LTE coverage, which is the WHOLE valley.  Can't get a single signal.  This was OFFICIALLY released by Sprint too.

SparkCoverage.JPG

Highlighted
Journeyman

It's not exactly fair to blame Sprint for the timing of the launch of this phone.  They had to launch when all the other carriers launched the phone.  Imagine the outcry if they delayed the phone.  People would be saying Sprint sucks for not releasing a phone everyone else has.  They were in between a rock and a hard place.

I was angry when I realized that the phone didn't have LTE in the beginning as well.  But I don't mind tinkering with the phone to make it work better.  In fact, I rather enjoy it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Same problem here with only getting 3G in Newnan, GA, south of Atlanta. Did as one person suggested here and removed band 26 from LTE line-up, now we're getting LTE. The signal reads 1 bar (bands 3 & 41 - 6-7Mb download via speedtest.net) while my S4 is reading 4-5 bars (14-15Mb download via speedtest.net). The 41 band is apparently the old Nextel range and is dead when tried alone here in Atlanta. In my area I have to have band 3 enabled, 26 disabled, (41 doesn't have an effect whether enabled/disabled) to get LTE.

Steps I went through to remove band 26:

1 - Dialed '##DATA#' at keypad

2 - When prompted for MSL I called sprint (from my s4) explained the situation with the S5 not having LTE about how I've read this forum and explained what I wanted to test for the solution (they wanted to try the update/power cycling routine but I refused), they gave me the MSL Code (which is random to each phone/acct I think, mine was 561431. I tried a few apps made to retrieve the MSL, none worked)

3 - Enter the 'Edit' menu

4 - Scroll to bottom and select 'LTE'

5 - Once in the LTE menu you can then select each band and whether to enable/disable.

6 - Ensure 26 is disabled, then back out of menu.

7 - I went into 'View' menu when back to main screen just to confirm the changes to the bands.

8 - I backed out all the way to the android home screen, then restarted the phone.

We're still within our 14 days, not happy about the single radio instead of the dual but thats thrown in the list of pros/cons at this point. Undecided if we're going to keep it.

On a side note, I LOVE my S4! Hope this helps someone!

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat