cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Settings icon for Hotspot on a Samsung Galaxy S5?

Go to solution
Journeyman

No Settings icon for Hotspot on a Samsung Galaxy S5?

I'm trying to test the Hotspot and Tethering features on my new Samsung S5, but the Hotspot icon isn't present in the Networking section of Settings -- or anywhere else, as far as I can tell. Support says it "should" be there. Can anyone confirm that Settings does, in fact, have a HotSpot icon in it on their S5? Or is there another way to enable the feature (after paying Sprint for it as a plan add-on, of course)?

19 REPLIES 19
Master

Re: No Settings icon for Hotspot on a Samsung Galaxy S5?

steve743 - Thank your for reaching out to us. Since the hotspot setting is missing on your phone, I want you to dial ##72786#. Once you dial that code, let the phone reboot and complete several updates. Once the updates are complete, verify if the hotspot option is available. Keep us posted. - Jonelle Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Nope, it's still not there. That is, the two updates don't seem to have changed anything. There's still no Hotspot icon in Settings. Do you have an S5 on which you can check this?

Master

steve743 - We have verified and the Hotspot option is supposed to show up under Settings> Network Connections. If the update did not return the setting, your next option would be to back up your data, and factory reset the phone. If you don't want to run a factory reset, then you should take your phone into the local Sprint repair center. This is not a known issue with the Samsung Galaxy S5, if the reset doesn't work it's definitely something we would want to check for you in the store. - Jonelle Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

I've already done a factory reset -- prior to posting the first message. It didn't change things. (I assume doing another now won't make a difference, right?) If not, I'll contact the store next. Thanks for following up.

Journeyman

The local Sprint store isn't eager to take this as a return/swap and isn't convinced that all of their unopened S5's aren't identical to mine. Because they don't have an open/demo model yet (too few to go around at this point), there's no way for them to verify whether this is a problem with just MY phone, all of THEIRS, or ALL the Sprint S5's everywhere. If necessary, can Sprint arrange for a swap with me? I'm in a time crunch and desperately need a working unit now. (If you'd like, message me privately and we can discuss by phone.)

Master

steve743 - I can definitely understand your concern with dealing with the local Sprint store. Send us a private message, with you phone number, pin or security answer, and link to this post or description of request. We will see what we can do for you. - Jonelle Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

We're making some progress! I did a factory reset again while waiting for your response.

Now, if I do a search for Hotspot in Settings (see enclosed image), it now shows its Settings icon and also an instance with the On/Off slider. (I tested this previously and the same search found nothing.) Unfortunately, the Hotspot icon is still missing from the Settings list/grid/tabs, toggling the On/Off switch seems to have no effect, and tapping the icon in the search results (or long-pressing it) does nothing.Screenshot_2014-04-17-20-34-52.jpg

Journeyman

I solved the problem -- for the most part. I did yet another factory reset, but this time skipped everything except connecting to my wiFi network and entering my name. The Network Connections section of Settings now correctly contains both HotSpot and Tethering icons! I assume that something that happened in the previous restores -- perhaps an app downloaded for a previous phone or a setting associated with it -- either clobbered these settings or maybe contained a virus. Before giving it my Samsung and Google accounts that are supposed to be linked to me and the phone, any suggestions on how I can prevent the restores from both of them messing things up again?

Master

steve743, This is good to hear! Let us know if there is anything that we can help with. We are always here. *Jazmine Social Care
Master

steve743,

There are a few options here. In the settings, I would cancel the sync. Another option is to create a different account. Let me know if this helps. I am here for you.

*Andi R.
Sprint Social Care Team
Highlighted
Journeyman

I fixed the problem and believe I know what caused it. Normally, when you get a new phone, backup data from Google and Samsung are automatically restored to the phone -- including previously downloaded apps. Thinking that something incompatible with the phone was being restored during the setup wizard, I skipped those options this time. The Hotspot and Tethering icons were there! Then I proceeded to do the restores, and the icons vanished again.Eventually, I was able to overwrite the Google backup with data from my now CLEAN phone. That solved the problem.

Of course, I still have no idea whether the problem was caused by restoring a previous app that was incompatible with the S5, restoring some corrupted data from one of the backups, or restoring an app that now contained a virus.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat