Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone Freezes - only option to pull battery

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

Phone Freezes - only option to pull battery

I've noticed that since the last update (it may be coincidental) but now my phone freezes averaging once a day. (sometimes multiple times in a day based on usage). It arbitrarily automatically shuts down and freezes on SPRINT logo. Other times it will just freeze while I'm using a program (Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, email, text, etc.) and the only recourse is to pull the battery and reboot.

Also I'm losing battery life very quickly. My phone easily would last a full day - but now, I'm lucky to get 6 hours out of it.

Could this be the latest Software Update? or is my phone just getting old?

15 REPLIES 15
Master

Re: Phone Freezes - only option to pull battery

TomTott,

Hello, thank you for bringing this to our attention.

What is the make and model of your Sprint device?

When the phone is about to freeze, do you get any error code or error message?

Have you perform any other troubleshooting steps on the device besides taking the battery out?

Ina.

Sprint Social Care.

Ina.
Sprint Social Care Team.
Journeyman

good day Ina -

I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 (which is why I posted it in the Galaxy S5 forum...but you make me think I'm not providing the correct info you asked )

There is no time to perform other troubleshooting tasks - it freezes, not prior alert...reboots...freezes on reboot...battery out...wait 30 seconds (or so) battery in works until next time.

any thoughts

Journeyman

Also going through the same thing, my phone was perfectly fine before the update. Also lags when using keyboard ( text,fb,etc.)

GrandMaster

google how to do a partition wipe on your device..once you do that test it for the whole day or at least most of the day to see if the problem is still there or not...if it is then more than likely you'll need to back up your phone and perform a factory reset..before that though and after the partition wipe (if the wipe didnt work) google how to boot your phone into safe mode..run it for a hour or two to see if the problem is still there..if it isnt then there is a high chance that one of your apps is conflicting with the update somehow.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Sprint Social Care

TJRICCARD

Hey! Here's how you can boot your phone into safe mode:

1. With the device turned off, press and hold the Power key.
  2. Release the Power key once the Samsung logo appears, then press and hold the Volume Down key until the device starts up.
  3. The device will start up in safe mode. Swipe screen to unlock device.
  4. To get out of safe mode, tap and drag down the Notification bar.
  5. Tap Safe mode enabled.
  6. Tap OK.
  7. The device will reboot into normal mode.

Jeffrey

Sprint Social Care

Jeffrey
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Hi I've had a similar issue with my note 4 since a recent update it constantly reboots and updates and my battery doesn't last long at all. I have to take my charger with me everywhere. I have even done a factory reset which I am not happy I had to do since I lost stuff on my phone. Even though I have 3 different back up apps. (Since I have lost stuff before). I am extremely frustrated. Not sure you I pay for insurance either. Due to my husbands on going health issues not having a phone even for an hour isn't an option for me.....

Sprint Social Care

mrandmrsazwylee

That's not good to read! Have you tried to boot your phone into safe mode? Try doing that and let us know how it goes.

Jeffrey

Sprint Social Care

Jeffrey
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Having the same issue with my wife's Note 4.  Took it to a store and they ran diagnostics but said that nothing was wrong. Option they gave was to order a new phone, which takes days, and we have to pay since it is after the one year warranty, or upgrade. Not eligible for an upgrade and do not feel that I should pay for a new phone since it looks like the update is the issue. She can be making a call and it will reboot without warning. Is there a way to go back to the stage before the last update?  This is frustrating.

Michael

Sprint Social Care

Hey Michael!

Have you tried the troubleshooting steps described above?

Jeffrey

Sprint Social Care

Jeffrey
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

My phone does the exact same thing!  That is why I never like doing the updates...but got tired of getting the update notifications.  I also have a Samsung S5.

Sprint Social Care

MMA1

Did you have the chance to make the troubleshooting steps given above?

Jeffrey

Sprint Social Care

Jeffrey
Sprint Social Care
Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat