cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Screen mirroring no longer working on S5

Journeyman

Screen mirroring no longer working on S5

I have a Miracast dongle attached to my television. Screen mirroring worked perfectly with Android 4.4.2.  With the upgrade to 4.4.4 it stopped working. I hoped that the upgrade to Lollipop would solve the problem, but mirroring still does not work.

(Mirroring does work using the same dongle with my old Galaxy S3 as well as with my Lenovo tablet running 4.4.2)

Here is the sequence of events:

• When I initiate mirroring on the S5, the Miracast dongle is recognized as an available device.
  • When I click on the device, a connection is established, and on the TV screen it shows that the phone assigns an IP address to the dongle: 192.168.49.196
  • At the same time, the phone shows a graphic  which says "Screen Mirroring Connecting" followed in about 5 seconds by a message "Failed to connect via Screen Mirroring."
  •   At this time, the TV (which had been showing the IP address and name of my phone goes back to showing "Waiting for connection."

Clearly the problem is not with the "dongle" because (1) mirroring worked with my S5 before the 4.4.4 and 5.0 upgrades and (2) mirroring still works with both my S3 and my Lenovo tablet.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
Master

Re: Screen mirroring no longer working on S5

jeffrey144 - We definitely understand the situation. Have you tried doing a master reset on the device? This will put the device back to factory settings to get the initial results. You may also refer to the Sprint Zone App for other troubleshooting steps. - ToniAnnSprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

Hi ToniAnn-

Full reset did not fix the problem. Of course reset did not revert to previous android version.  It appears that the problem is related to the "upgrade" from 4.4.2 to 4.4.4 and was not fixed in 5.0.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

-Jeff

Master

jeffrey144 - Thank you for reaching out to us. I would suggest you to contact Samsung about that issue, because it is a feature on the phone they will be able to assist you with fixing it. - Pascale Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Hi Pascale:

What is the best way to contact Samsung technical support?

-Jeff

Master

jeffrey144,

You can contact them at: 1 (800) 726-7864 or visit their website at: www.samsung.com/us/support . Please let us know if you have any additional questions. We'd be glad to assist.

- Mabel
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Hi Mabel:

I spent about an hour in an online chat with Samsung tech support.

After clearing the cache and trying safe mode...neither of which fixed the screen mirroring problem, he asked me to provide the Baseband Firmware version.

From my phone, the version is g900pvpu1boa6

The Samsung technician told me that this was not the correct version for the phone...the Samsung tech support site indicates that the correct version is g900pvpu1aoa6.

He indicated that the only solution would be for me to send the phone to Samsung (lose use of the phone for a couple of weeks) in order to have it re-flashed.

Numerous on-line sources, however, indicate that I do, indeed have the correct Sprint firmware version installed.

So...bottom line..Samsung tech support was unable to fix the problem, and in addition gave me what appears to be incorrect information regarding the firmware version on my phone.

Screen mirroring is not essential, but certainly would be nice, especially since it originally worked on my phone with KitKat 4.4.2, and stopped working with 4.4.4 and now with Lollipop 5.0

Just my $0.02

-Jeff

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat