cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simultaneous voice and data

Journeyman

Simultaneous voice and data

Will the S5 support simultaneous voice and data and if so in what combination of network radios/coverage.

52 REPLIES 52
Highlighted
Master

Re: Simultaneous voice and data

DetailsPlease,

Yes you will be able to on the LTE network. Keep me posted!

Stephanie p
Social care
Highlighted
Journeyman

The Galaxy S5 which is a Sprint Spark enabled device is not able to support simultaneous Voice and Data connectivity. Sprint representatives have been saying that it does, but they leave out that the phone must be connected to wifi. It does not work using the cell radios.

You'll find that consumer reports has released an article on it as well as a SprintCare rep. stating that it only supports it on wifi. Here's a link to that thread: https://community.sprint.com/baw/message/763784#763784 .

Here is the quote from the rep:

"Spark enabled phones have only one antenna in the device at this time.  Unfortunately these units cannot use data and voice simultaneously, even over WiFi.  We are working on getting simultaneous voice and data but have no set time on when this will be happening. I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you."

Highlighted
Master

That is not correct (not sure who was the smart one that stated that comment), since all Sprint phones have more than 1 antena, they have a CDMA (3G/Voice), LTE (4G), and the rest.

If you are in a 4G area or WiFi, your phone will be able to do voice and data, if you are in a 3G area, you will not be able to do that since the phone is not provisioned to work in that mode (Sprint decision).

I come here trying to help people and I'm NOT employed by Sprint, so If my reply helped you or if you get an answer to your question from other users, PLEASE mark it as solved.
Highlighted
Journeyman

I am no expert but I have been doing a lot of research on this subject as it affects me as a Sprint customer.

What I've been reading thus far is that Sprint Tri-Band devices stay on one technology at a time. That is, CDMA or LTE. To compensate for voice calls, Sprint is using eCSFB which interrupts the LTE and switches to CDMA for the phone call. With Text Messaging, Sprint is able to re-route it through LTE. Essentially what this means is, if you using LTE and receive a phone call, your session will be interrupted to allow for the phone call.

As I do not have a Tri-Band device, I cannot test whether LTE is interrupted while you're receiving the call or when you accept the call.

Again, I am only rephrasing what I have been reading for the past several days.

I've also read, and it makes sense, that Tri-Band devices do not support SVLTE. Previous LTE devices do but not the "Tri-Band" ones. I've also read that SVDO is not supported on Tri-Band devices but memory fails me right now.

People on various sites are reporting their findings with their "Tri-Band" devices such as the new HTC One M8 and the Nexus 5 as well as the LG G2. All have been saying that there is no simultaneous Voice and Data. Some are also posting that they've tried both on 3G and LTE.

Here is a link to a somewhat extensive article about eCSFB and SVLTE on Tri-Band devices:

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-357-nexus-5-and-lg-g2-experience-temporary-sprint-lte-conne...

Also, I'm seeing so many mixed messages from SprintCare reps as well as the ones from the sales and technical teams. I can link to one right now who says that Simultaneous Voice and Data is not supported EVEN on WiFi. So far, this is the first one that I've seen. Every other rep. has at least admitted it works on WiFi but not LTE. Here is the link:

https://community.sprint.com/baw/message/751161#751161

You must forgive me if my information is incorrect/inaccurate. It is the synthesis of my research from Sprint.com's forums as well as forums. But the one thing I keep seeing over and over again is that the new Sprint Spark Tri-Band enabled devices do NOT support simultaneous Voice and Data over LTE.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Message was edited by: Arta0613

Edit 1: To the OP, the Sprint Samsung Galaxy S5 which is a Tri-Band device, will not support Simultaneous Voice and Data, if my findings are indeed correct.

Edit 2: It seems that in another thread, a SprintCare rep. stated that based on their research SVDO does work. Until someone with a S5 or other Tri-Band device tests all situations and posts the results I can't say for sure whether Simultaneous Voice and Data is supported. Why can't a SprintCare rep. contact someone to do this? I don't presume to know their hierarchy or limits but as a Rep. why is it so hard to give a straight answer? We aren't asking for much...

Link to thread follows:

https://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/151488

Edit 3: Upon further reading of the S4GRU article, I saw that it mentions:

"Smart devices require eCSFB to “fall back” to 3G to accept a voice call if the user is connected to the LTE network."

From this, I can gather that you will still have 3G. Whether this means Data access during a call on 3G is supported or not, I can say that this goes against what you mentioned about 3G. Let me know what you think.

Highlighted
Master

You might be right, but the G. Mega has this specs: 

LTE 850 / 1900 / 2500

WCDMA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100

CDMA 800 / 850 / 1900

GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900

Based on them, it should have at least 2-3 antennas that should accommodate talk and surf. There are future plans to aggregate the bands for faster speed, by then, not sure if that will make it better or not, but I guess someone that owns one will be the best person to ask.

I come here trying to help people and I'm NOT employed by Sprint, so If my reply helped you or if you get an answer to your question from other users, PLEASE mark it as solved.
Highlighted
Journeyman

I own a HTC One M8 and Simultaneous Voice and Data are not supported/ not available on my device.  After calling customer care and doing research on the various sprint forums it seems clear that the new Tri-Band phones do not support this feature.  The customer care rep did tell me that they were working on getting it to work however.

Highlighted
Journeyman

As CEPEDA117 mentions, the HTC One M8 does not support simultaneous Voice and Data. Both the HTC One M8 and the Galaxy Mega are Tri-Band devices which uses eCSFB to use only one radio at a time.

I just recently got a reply from a YouTube reviewer about whether the HTC One M8 supports Simultaneous Voice and Data, and this is what he said:

"No it does not have an SVDO radio, so you will not be able to use data while on calls unless you are on Wifi."

Thank you CEPEDA117 for posting about the HTC One M8. I've read that the fix to this problem would be VoLTE, but that would only come once NV is completed.

Highlighted
Master

hmm that is not good...

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am encountering the same issue when upgrading from an S3 to S5.  Have you received any official specific feedback that the Sprint S5 will support data and voice in the near future?

Highlighted
Journeyman

When will the S5 be able to support simultaneous data and voice as I have been able to with the S3?

Highlighted
Master

NYCHRIS30,

If you are on Wifi,you should be able to do simultaneous voice and data. Also if you are in a LTE coverage you will be able to use it.

Thank you,
*Paida.
Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat