cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simultaneous voice and data

Master

Re: Simultaneous voice and data

I recently tested, by mistake, the capability of Maps app (GPS) while on a call. I was talking and maps was still active, saying directions to me while i was on the phone.

As far as the GPS goes, i guess you can run it while on a call, but data and Voice, you will not be able.

I come here trying to help people and I'm NOT employed by Sprint, so If my reply helped you or if you get an answer to your question from other users, PLEASE mark it as solved.
Master

Gioia999,

Thanks for reaching out. This is correct. The S5 has single radio functionality. This allows the device to efficiently use multiple CDMA and LTE spectrum bands. This device can do simultaneous voice and data when connected to wifi but simultaneous voice and data over the network is not supported. Many previous devices, such as the original S3, are dual radio devices. This allows you when in an LTE market to use the LTE antenna for data and the CDMA only antenna for voice.

- Jathen
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

As I have discovered this problem recently, I am thinking of defecting back to T-mobil ( still within my 14 days) as their 4g LTE/spark system WILL NOT support data and voice at the same time.  Sprint has their sales reps saying that all phones will support data and voice all the time. (I went to 2 different stores and 2 authorized dealers and they all told me the same thing) and when I told them that it is not true, one told me I was not informed correctly (proved him wrong when I showed him my fone) and the others were not aware of it. SO Sprint, what are you doing about it because I can predict that there will be alot of customers who are going to defect soon if there is no answer given if dual voice and data will be supported in the NEAR future.

Wizard

Master

BanZI29

Unfortunately us reps do not have that information at this time, I can tell you we've had devices in the past support but future devices will require the manufacture to build the necessary bands in the devices. If that happens then yes future devices will support voice and data.

- Clyde
Sprint Social Care
Master

Hello halldl02,

You are correct! Wi-Fi is one of the most underused and useful features on a smartphone, tablet, and laptop. With a Wi-Fi connection users can browse the Web and talk on the phone.

Thanks, Sharon Sprint Social Care
Master

I agree with part of the statement, but driving around town, you don't have WiFi, it will be different if you are in a static place with a Free WiFi service available.

I come here trying to help people and I'm NOT employed by Sprint, so If my reply helped you or if you get an answer to your question from other users, PLEASE mark it as solved.
Journeyman

underused?  says who.  With the slow and spotty buildout of 4G LTE, using WiFi is essential  ... but Wifi is just not available most of the time.  We don't need voice and data when we are at home, or in our offices.  Maybe if Sprint provided access to widely available 'hotspots' ... maybe that would make a difference.  But the need for voice and data, which was the case with the Samsung S3 for example, shouldn't be dependent on being lucky.  Being lucky is having 4G LTE on the Sprint network -- sometimes it's there, and it's great when it is, but no one really expects it most of the time..  Not being able to access an email while on the phone, or navigate while on the phone, that's just essential. 

Journeyman

actually you would be surprised much it is really utilized.  the problem is that when you are not near free wifi or at home, and lets say you have a customer on the line and you need to give directions to where you are and you need to use mapquest or google.  you have to tell your customer that you will get the info and call them back.  I'm sorry but that makes you look un-prepared some what un-professional.  From what I got from a sprint escalation tech,  LTE and spark was rolled out BEFORE any testing and compatibility test were done along with info on the new system that was important to manufacturers to make the new release fones compatible with simultaneous voice and data. they stumbled on to this problem afterwards and were (and still are) unprepared.  So basically Sprint blew it on the roll out and are now..... really just not addressing the problem, at least from all the info that I have gathered.  and they SEEM to me telling there sales reps that what they are telling the customers that you can have voice and data at the same time,  just omitting the fact that you HAVE to have an active wifi connection, which in turn really is mis-leading customers. 

So I know that the site admins here are not properly informed and that is not totally their fault,  BUT they should be asking questions to the powers that be to TRULY help us, the customers.  Sprint execs, Please understand that the ability to have data and voice at the same time (as T-mobil, AT&T and Verizion all offer)  is essential to us both in business and home life. With how fast things move in this world, it is a necessity.  And the fact that you as a company just dropped the ball and didn't do you homework completely before rolling out LTE and Spark,  really reduces confidence in Sprint as a company and you as the decision makers. 

Master

BanZI29,

Thank you for your feedback. I will be sure to pass this along to the powers that be for you.

Sincerely,

KC
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

I can back this up. The store I go to I have had the same rep every visit for the last four months. Every time I ask him about the issue and if there are any update and every time he tells me he wasn't aware there was an issue, even though I have talked to him about no less than four times.

Highlighted
Master

MJENKINS0704, Thanks for reaching out to us with all of your questions and concerns. We understand the need to talk and surf simultaneously. Please know that we are working to add this feature on our smartphones in the near future. To stay updated on all new releases and updates, please visit us at Sprint.com/newsroom. Please don't hesitate to reach out to us with any additional questions or concerns that you may have. - Brittany
Sprint Social Care
Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat