New features that are unique only to Samsung’s Galaxy S5
This year, just as last year, anticipation built up around the launch of the new flagship from Samsung. The rumor mill had its way with it and many features were “promised.” Low and behold, the S5 is here and at least for me, it didn’t disappoint.
Now that its here, the S5 sports 3 new features that really make the phone useful for a variety of users. Let’s start with my favorite:
1. The new S Health app featuring a heart rate monitor
The screenshots above show some views on how simple it is to use the hear rate monitor. Just hit the Heart Rate on the main screen, put your finger on the back and we are good! Beyond the heart rate, it keeps a track of all fitness aspects like pedometer, exercise, calories, etc.
2. Finger print scanner Yes it’s not a new feature on mobile phones. The iPhone 5S and HTC One MAXX have already showcased this feature, but I like the way it was implemented. Just like the iPhone, the S5 has the fingerprint scanner on the home button, but you have to swipe it. Nothing wrong there, it is pretty accurate and easy to setup. However, single hand operation is not easy.
For a detailed blog about this feature, follow my trusty friend Ninja_CJ on his blog:
3. IP67 Dust and water resistance Yes, finally, a Samsung phone that is dust and water resistant. You can find several videos where users have already “tested” this feature to the max but dunking it in a pool or showering with it. I think its about time this feature is standard on all devices.
What does IP76 Mean? Below is a table of all the options but mainly it means Ingress protection with total dust protection and water immersion up to 1 M.
IPstands for 'Ingress Protection'
An IP number is used to specify the environmental protection of enclosures around electronic equipment. These ratings are determined by specific tests.
The IP number is composed of two numbers, the first referring to the protection against solid objects and the second against liquids. The higher the number, the better the protection.
Note: All Aceeca devices (except PDA32) are manufactured and tested to IP67 standards.
- No protection (Sometimes X)
- Protected against solid objects up to 50mm³
- Protected against solid objects up to 12mm³
- Protected against solid objects up to 2.5mm³
- Protected against solid objects up to 1mm³
- Protected against dust, limited ingress (no harmful deposit)
- Totally protected against dust
- No protection (Sometimes X)
- Protection against vertically falling drops of water (e.g. condensation)
- Protection against direct sprays of water up to 15 degrees from vertical
- Protection against direct sprays of water up to 60 degrees from vertical
- Protection against water sprayed from all directions - limited ingress permitted
- Protected against low pressure jets of water from all directions - limited ingress permitted
- Protected against low pressure jets of water, limited ingress permitted (e.g. ship deck)
- Protected against the effect of immersion between 15cm and 1m
- Protected against long periods of immersion under pressure
So there you have it, enjoy and hopefully you will choose the S5 to be your next smartphone.
Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. sprintemployee