cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint Product Ambassador: Samsung Galaxy S5 - First Impressions

Wizard

Samsung S5Front.PNG

With the recent release of the Samsung Galaxy S5 (April 11th) I was pretty excited to be selected to be a Product Ambassador for it. Right out of the box I was really impressed with how sleek it looks and I really

like the design of the backing. One of the features I was most excited about was the IP67 rating for water and dust resistance. I really hope that OEMs start adopting waterproofing technology from the start, to me it seems like a no brainer. However

I'm sure in order to keep costs down that maybe a reason why a lot of OEMs don't use it, but lets hope that changes!.

What I like about the GS5

• 5.1 display - perfect size, great for reading books or surfing the web without feeling like you have a tablet in your hands
  • Screen - It is very bright and clear, I thought the Galaxy Note 3 screen was amazing and between the two the GS5 stands out that much more
  • IP67 rated
  • 16MP camera - I am simply amazed at how quickly the HDR feature focuses on an object and how quickly it snaps at photo
  • Google now - With the GS5 Samsung took it a step further and if you have the Google search bar on your screen it's in listening mode. For more on that check out AndroidCentral's article on it.
  • Finger scanner - I am impressed at  how well this works and a nice feature to have. Not sure though if it will stand the test of time but we'll see.
  • Battery Life - Here is a screenshot from last night before I put it on the charger. Really happy with the battery life of the GS5

BatteryLife.png

• Ultra Power saving mode - Haven't really been able to test it out yet, here is a screenshot of what it will do

UltraPowerSavingMode.png

What I don't care for at the moment with the GS5

• I really really really my location based alarm - I think this is just a feature of the Galaxy Note series to set your alarms to be location based. As someone who doesn't use an alarm clock anymore I never had to worry about turning the alarm on or off
  • I'm not a real fan of the new "Settings" look and went back to the tabbed view
  • I miss waving my hand over the display and getting  glance of the screen when the phone is in sleep mode.

So far I'm really loving the GS5 and can't wait to start testing the Gear Fit along with it. I'm really interested in the intergrated health benefits of the device.

Lastly here is a great Hands-On video from Samsung Mobile:

Link

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. sprintemployee