cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint Product Ambassadors: Galaxy S 5 Finger Scanner

Sprint Product Ambassador

GS5-fingerprint.jpg

Photo courtesy of talkandroid.com.

I've only been using the Samsung Galaxy S 5 for half a day and already my favorite new feature is the Finger Scanner.

Among the many new features of the Galaxy S 5 is the Finger Scanner. It allows you to use biometrics (fingerprints) to secure your smartphone. No more Swyping or typing passwords, PINs and no more swishing and swirling patterns. Just swipe your finger or thumb straight down on the Home button and, voila, you're in like Flynn!

The Home button on the GS5 has a slightly raised metal border strip. It's this metal strip that acts as the Finger Scanner reader. The GS5 caches up to three registered fingerprints via an encrypted digital algorithm local to your smartphone. Nothing is stored in the cloud, nothing is sent to Samsung. You don't need to have any connectivity for Finger Scanner to work, so no need to panic when you're on a plane.

The Finger Scanner also serves as your credentials to authorize payments to Samsung for Samsung App Store purchases (after you setup an account and payment information) as well as integration with PayPal. This makes it easy to ensure Junior doesn't buy any premium apps while he's playing with dad's phone.

Another feature of the Galaxy S 5 is Private mode. Private mode allows you to secure files. Finger Scanner makes accessing confidential files a breeze with a swipe of your finger. Set up and enable Private mode in the phone settings along, which is also where you input fingerprints for the Finger Scanner.

Screenshot_2014-04-14-14-19-08_resized.png

One draw-back to Privacy mode, so far, is its limited use. So far Private mode only secures individual files from the photo gallery, self-made videos, voice recordings, etc. I'd really like to see Private mode integrated with email, browsers and other apps.

Screenshot_2014-04-14-14-19-28_resized.png

Using Private mode is straight forward. Once you enable Private mode you can choose what to keep private. Private mode files are displayed with a padlock on their thumbnail. I had to laugh at the examples shown by Samsung. Their "how-to" examples show pictures of beautiful sunsets and colorful hot air balloons. Call me crazy, but these probably aren't the photos anyone would make private, unless, of course, those sunset photos were taken on a secret vacation when they were thought to have been on a business trip to Cleveland (no offense, Cleveland).

Screenshot_2014-04-14-14-20-16_resized.pngScreenshot_2014-04-14-14-20-22_resized.png

Keep watching this space for more articles on more features, tips and tricks. There is so much more to come.

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. sprintemployee