cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint galaxy s5 4.4.4 update

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint galaxy s5 4.4.4 update

Anyone have any news? Everythings pretty much gone quiet.The update was listed on samsung website as being released on 9/24 but was removed a couple days later,..thats pushing a month a go.

100 REPLIES 100
Highlighted
Journeyman

OK, so we get it when we get it, there's pretty much nothing we can do.

I would like to know why decisions on what version will/won't be pushed to end users are not announced. As the consumer, shouldn't we have the right to know that we are being skipped a version or being delayed? I have seen the "sprint.com/news thing" and all that is announced is how great Sprint is and what the next product that might be available might be. It doesn't show anything on why we did not receive 4.4.3 or that the decision has been made to forgo 4.4.4 because efforts to get 5.0 delivered have been focused on instead. The truth is as the consumer we have been poorly informed and left to guess. Guessing leads to doubt which gives way to mistrust.

The lesson learned here is if you want to be up-to-date and not wait for Touchwiz and carrier extras, go straight to the source.

Would it be too much to ask for Sprint to announce decisions that have been made? I understand why no one wants to give a window... It's clearly so that you don't have a bunch of disgruntled customers clamoring for an update they thought they should have by now - wait a sec.

Seriously, please pass along that we would at least like to know whether or not we should expect something. It helps us make better decisions.

Highlighted
Master

Android240,

I'm sorry you feel this way. We try to provide the customer with as much information as what the manufacturer has provided to Sprint. Sorry for the delay. If I could manually install it on your device, I would.
- Geraldine
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

Good morning everyone I just fine out the updated version 4.4.4 kitkat file size is 285mb I think it is coming out today or Halloween day I saw something on Google type on google samsung galaxy s5 update 4.4.4 u will see kitkat bar

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hey nautica1982, I'm sure that info is wrong, All the sites that mention what your referring to is one of those crap/news regurgitation sites, I can tell that with out even actually clicking the link(in google search results).....The canned answer from Sprint saying check our news page for info on updates is obviously wrong now also. The LG G2 and now HTC One(M8) have both received updates over the last week and not a peep about it on Sprint Newsroom.

Highlighted
Master

nautica1982,

Please let me know if you need assistance with anything. I'm here to help.

Hirscht
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

I fail to understand why those who have devices feel they have some sort of "right" to know when and update is coming? What would that change if you knew the exact date of an update is coming out? Would your phone work better? would you change your vacation plans? And what benefit would it be to Sprint to convey that information to you? The update will come when the update will come. The whole "I'm entitled" thing is getting out of hand on the updates. The devices we have to are superior and work incredible compared to phones of the past. So, everyone needs to chill out and wait for the update. When it comes you will feel better but notice nothing on your phone. I have an S5 and I had the S3 and I've never noticed any upgrade to get excited about.

Highlighted
Master

Frankula,

Thank you for posting. Please let me know if there's anything that I can do for you. I'm here to help.

Hirscht
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Master

Hi LORALL10,

Thanks for posting. Do you have any questions or concerns I can assist you with? I'd be more than happy to help. - Michael
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

In response to some others in here. As a customer that bought this phone, "I AM ENTITLED" to the following.

1. Excellent customer service when needed.
  2. Prompt and timely fixes to issues with the phone.
  3. Equal to or better service by Sprint than other carriers.

I feel I am getting none of the above with this phone. I would not be asking about the update if I did not need it to fix some issues with bluetooth and the dialer. If I wanted this level of issues with a phone, I could have paid a lot less. Maybe some are satisfied, but I am not. 

Highlighted
Master

Hi Jesie1,

Thank thank you for contacting us at Sprint. Your business is a great value with us and I'm here to see it through that you receive quality and honest service. I have been reading the previous posts and I would like to assist. You are entitled to receive everything that you've asked for. As far as OS updates, Sprint can inform you of when it's release will be, but only when Samsung informs us. The manufacture controls its operating system and when it's release dates are. If you have further questions, please, don't hesitate to reach out, I'm here for you.

Thank you,

Michael
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

Yes you entitled to good customer service, I never denied that. But you are not entitled to information that even Sprint doesn't know. Sprint has little to do with the updates since it comes down from the mother ship of Google and then Samsung. Sprint can't help you on the updates no more than Best Buy could tell you about Windows Updates on your Dell Computer no matter how much you stomp your feet. You can go to Verizon, ATT or Joe Bob's Wireless and they will not have any more information on the update than Sprint does. My advice to people in here, if your phone is not working properly then chances are the update will do nothing as it didn't fix my bluetooth problem on my S3. It took many web searches to find a solution to my problem.

Since I have an S5 and I've been scanning the web it appear that the 4.4.4. update is coming out in about a week. Verizon got it and if you really, really want it you can get the official OTA from XDA website and install it yourself. I can/have done that in the past and I'm not even going to bother but will wait until the OTA drops from Sprint because updates are pretty much meaningless. Now when 5.0 drops, that will probably give you more features that you might take advantage of.

Hence, badgering Sprint for information they don't have or will begin to tell you is pointless. Samsung controls the update and Sprint is just the carrier. Google and every phone manufacture is trying as fast as they can to update the phones to compete with the Iphone. We as consumers have all the benefit of that competition which is why today we have this amazing device in our hands which is far beyond what it used to be with Android 2.0.

So, you my friend I will ask this. What do you expect Sprint to do?

Highlighted
Journeyman

, what I want is there to be communication. If I could put this on Samsung's doorstep, I would. In many ways I have because I have written emails, tweeted and spoken (as well as chatted) to Samsung. I've had issues with my handset that could have proven serious. I'm not going to go into detail because it's no one's business, but the only solution offered was to be without a phone for 10+ days which I cannot due. Random restarts and freezing are not acceptable and I do feel entitled to have a working phone. The service is not charity so I find it enfuriating to go 'round and 'round on this. There are bug fixes that have been acknowledged by Samsung and sprint which 4.4.4 is supposed to address.

I'm not going to argue the software release model again, but is it unreasonable to assume that the carriers have more information than a kid with hat in hand? The decision is made somewhere and more than one person knows.

I'm not asking for hard dates, but I do feel that the consumer is entitled to expect regular updates. My Son's $120 Dell tablet got 4.4.4 something like 4 months ago. I know that there are lots of variables, I'm not stupid, but I can't believe that NO information has been shared. Especially because Sprint put out a press release at the end of September, then retracted it. I can understand that maybe there are issues, but there's no information being passed along at all.

I also do not understand the need to repeatedly tell people that they don't have issues and that the updates mean nothing. No one knows what is important to anyone but themselves. Very few times do I see the same Sprint rep responding to the threads so you're all upset that we are all punching at air?

I've repeatedly stated that I'm not upset with the reps because they lack the tools to handle this nor the information, but Google/Sprint/Samsung does. Yet we hear nothing.

Like I've said before, lesson learned.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat