Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weak LTE Signal/Battery Issues

Highlighted
Journeyman

Weak LTE Signal/Battery Issues

I've had my GS5 since June and I have always had weak LTE signal pretty much everywhere I go.  About a month ago, my phone started getting hot and the battery drained like crazy.  No changes in use, or no new applications from before.  A re-boot would fix the issue (sometimes) but would eventually go back to getting hot and continue with the crazy battery drain.  I went through the regular trouble shooting, factory reset, pulled memory card, did not load or restore any third party applications.  This did not make a difference, the phone would get hot while sitting idle and the battery would drop about 6%-10%/hour without any use or the screen on.

So after about a month of putting up with this, I was about to either buy a new replacement battery or a new phone thinking it was a hardware issue.  But then, I decided to try changing the preferred mode on the mobile network settings to CDMA only (instead of CDMA/LTE).  This fixed my issue, the phone does not get hot anymore and the battery drain has stopped.

My question is...what is up with the constant weak LTE signal? From the coverage Maps I can see I live and work in a covered area!  Yet there is only a few places where I can more than two bars (of signal).  My brand new LTE galaxy S5 has been crippled to 3G use only.

The phone was fine with the weak signal before the end of September...around this time, I received a text message from sprint stating they had upgraded the network around my area and my experience would greatly improve.  Something happened...that needs to be addressed.

Tags (2)
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Master

Re: Weak LTE Signal/Battery Issues

FlashMGR - Here to help, lets see what we can do for you. Can you please reply with your zip codes and cross streets so we can look into the signal where you're at to get things started?

- John
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

Zip codes - 92801, 92841

(92841) Cross Streets - Knott & Chapman

(92801) Cross Streets - La Palma & Dale

Highlighted
Master

FlashMGR, Thank you for the information that you provided. No issues reported with 4G services in the area. With the battery draining and over heating, the phone would need to be looked at by our Sprint repair center. Have you tried to dial ##72786#? - Fernendez
Sprint Social Care
Community News

Our Community is currently set to Read Only due the pandemic's affect on our staffing .
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat