cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi calling performance

Journeyman

WiFi calling performance

Now that WiFi calling is working again the problem remains that the performance sucks!  I live on the east coast and the vast majority of my phone calls are going to be to people also on the east coast (no surprise there) however when I call somebody the latency of the call or horrendous and both myself and the person on the other end of the call keep talking over each other.

The problem is that Sprint is terminating the WiFi calls on a server on (I believe) in Arizona and the round trip latency between me and the server is about 80 ms.  Nothing I can do to improve that number since it takes so long at the speed of light to travel from NY to AZ.

Sprint how about creating multiple termination ports for wi-fi calling that are spread out around the country?  At least put one in the middle of the country which would make my round tip time about 40 ms!

14 REPLIES 14
GrandMaster

Re: WiFi calling performance

out of curiosity have you looked into the new wifi calling router deal they recently pulled in? i only know of a couple people so far that have them and they said the performance is night and day. not sure if this might help since this thing is basically a airave but for WFC...i'll see if i can get one of the guys to pop in and give his run down on it if you want. might help with what youre seeing..then again might not.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

a few issues with the Airave

1) if the backend termination is on or near the left coast then there will be no improvement, it is physics, you can't violate those laws (yet)

2) I had an airave once, Sprint told me they'd send it to me at no change and there would be no cost to me.  WRONG! yes the airave itself was free and the service was free but because a phone number is associated with it Sprint was charging me $2 a month (or something like that) because it was on my account.  Doesn't sound free to me, I shipped it back at Sprint's expense after about 3 weeks.

-TL

GrandMaster

its not an airave though..from what im understanding its actually a router/modem.

MROGRS

if im remembering right he has one..might be able to shed a bit of light on exactly what it does and how its working for him.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

the question still remains where does it terminate the backend connection, remember its about 90 ms coast to coast, add in any additional network latency and the phone call starts sounding like simplex radio.

even with network round trip and then conversion to VoIP and then to another carrier etc you can easily exceed 100ms round trip

GrandMaster

im out in Cali and havent ran into this no matter who i was calling on whichever carrier they are on..with a router that has seen better days by far...as well as the modem. figure old comcast equipment they send to you before they started going with the router/modem combo kind of old 0_o

Journeyman

well you just answered why, if you are in california and the wifi calling (or airave) sprint end is terminating in Arizona (or something else out on or near the west coast your latency will be 10 to 15 ms max so of course you won't have the latency problems I have going back and forth across the country.

-TL

GrandMaster

i believe MROGRS is out your direction anyways so it would be interesting to see if there is any differences.

Highlighted
Wizard

Time-Lord wrote:

well you just answered why, if you are in california and the wifi calling (or airave) sprint end is terminating in Arizona (or something else out on or near the west coast your latency will be 10 to 15 ms max so of course you won't have the latency problems I have going back and forth across the country.

-TL

I use Wifi calling a lot, for work while I'm at the home "office" and I don't run into issues with talking over folks or delays.  I'm in the middle of the country and call all over the place. I don't know that it's because of the Wifi Connect router that I got from Sprint, for Free, but it's worth a shot on your end.  I used wifi calling before I got the connect router and don't recall any issues before either.

I can't answer where the calls are terminating, maybe someone with Sprint on the technical side will pop in and say but having ALL calls terminating in one place, regardless of were it originate seems odd.

Journeyman

You don't have the same issue, you are much closer to the termination point, you will be roughly 1/2 the latency I would have being in the middle of the country.

MROGRS wrote:

....  I'm in the middle of the country and call all over the place. I don't know that it's because of the Wifi Connect router that I got from Sprint, for Free,.....    

Wizard

Time-Lord wrote:

You don't have the same issue, you are much closer to the termination point, you will be roughly 1/2 the latency I would have being in the middle of the country.

MROGRS wrote:

....  I'm in the middle of the country and call all over the place. I don't know that it's because of the Wifi Connect router that I got from Sprint, for Free,.....   

I have used it in Canada, from the East coast, from South East, I have family that use it quite a bit internationally as well, no real issues.

Di you only experience this at your home or everywhere you use it? Have you inquired about the WiFi Connect router?

Journeyman

I've so far only used it while I'm in my home area of the north east (NJ/NY) areas.

Here is a traceroute from my home to the Sprint Wi-Fi termination point in Sprint's network (or as far as I can probe into Sprint's network)

Note all the 144.232.X.X addresses are within Sprint's network.

#traceroute ip 68.31.54.1

Type escape sequence to abort.

Tracing the route to 68-31-54-1.pools.spcsdns.net (68.31.54.1)

1 L100.NWRKNJ-VFTTP-101.verizon-gni.net (98.109.156.1) 8 msec 4 msec 4 msec

2 G0-9-2-6.NWRKNJ-LCR-22.verizon-gni.net (130.81.110.100) 8 msec 4 msec 8 msec

3  *  *  *

4 0.ae2.BR3.NYC4.ALTER.NET (140.222.229.99) 8 msec 4 msec 4 msec

5 204.255.168.118 12 msec 12 msec 8 msec

6 144.232.5.218 28 msec 28 msec 28 msec

7 144.232.20.187 28 msec 32 msec 28 msec

8 144.232.1.75 36 msec 36 msec 36 msec

9 144.232.13.238 48 msec 44 msec 44 msec

10 sl-crs2-phx-0-4-5-0.sprintlink.net (144.232.24.5) 72 msec 76 msec 72 msec

11 sl-sprin904-720086-0.sprintlink.net (144.224.28.38) 68 msec 68 msec 72 msec

12  *  *  *   <- nothing else responds

Once I hit Sprint's network the latency shoots up, notice hop number 10, I highlighted part of the host name "phx" I believe this is Phoenix AZ and the round trip latency is actually pretty good for that distance.  Remember latency is not only affected by network load but it is also affected by distance, as I said speed of light, plus transitioning through various network gear etc does add up, even the faster routers tend to add a ms or so to the connection speed.

Now these number just show my latency network wise, they do not account for the latency moving my call to a cell tower or to another carrier's cell tower or to a landline.

Last comment, the maximum recommended latency is 100ms, at that point calls start sounding like simplex radio and guess what by the time you add everything i I'm rapidly approaching that number.

-TL

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat