Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi Hotspot Not working after 4.4.4 Update

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Wifi Hotspot Not working after 4.4.4 Update

John,

Here is the low-down on what I have tried and the results.

1)  I wiped the phone and tried upgrading to the new Lollipop image that was leaked.  It looked great and smooth but the tethering had issues similar to 4.4.4.  Additionally, the DHCP function didn't set up a DNS server.  So, there are still issues there to work out in Lollipop.

2)  Wiped the phone (factory reset) and loaded 4.4.4 again.  Did another factory reset for good measure before booting up.  Did not log in to any of my accounts or restore any settings.  Tried both wifi tethering and USB tethering.  Neither approach worked.

3)  I have rolled back to 4.4.2 after another factory reset and wifi tethering works fine.  So, it appears to me that tethering in anything later than 4.4.2 is just broken.  I have disabled the check for system updates and am staying at that level until you guys verify this is fixed.

I depend on my phone for work and connectivity.  Really saddened by this situation.  Would greatly appreciate a fix being generated.

Thanks!

Jay

Highlighted
Wizard

Hello, I did some research on your hotspot issue and I found that a lot of people have the same problem. I found this youtube video showing how to resolve this issue. Go to How to get HotSpot on 4.4.4 KitKat! Sprint Note 3! - YouTube

Highlighted
Master

Jungleboyj

Thanks for the updated info. Have you tried checking out what was suggested below? I cannot promise that it's a definite fix but you're more than welcome to try and share your results with us. Keep us posted.

Krishel
Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

I am seething as I read these posts. My phone updated overnight last Friday. Saturday I woke up to find my hotspot no longer worked. I tried calling Sprint and four different employees suggested the ##72786# code which only left me with a constant FIRMWARE UPDATE NOT COMPLETED message that did not go away for two days. I took my phone to the Sprint STORE and the clerk and a technician worked on it for about two hous and then told me they though it was a broken internal antenae. They suggested I use my geeksquad insurance and order a replacement phone, so I did...and now I'm finding out Sprint lies...they failed to keep up with the Android updates so everyone's hotspot is failing. My PRL won't update, my profile won't update and my hotspot no longer works. What is the fix? How are you intending to compensate?

Highlighted
Master

angrierbythemin

Hey There! Thank you for reaching out to us. Allow us to look further into this for you. Please visit this link http://bit.ly/1qQty1X . Looking forward to hearing from you.

Shantoya
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

"We are aware of the issue and is working closely with Samsung to get it corrected. Sorry for the inconvenience this may have caused. - Michelle Sprint Social Care"

Sprint Care,

Any updates yet on your progress working with Samsung so correct this issue?

Thank you,

Andy

Highlighted
Master

AChaseS5, We currently do not have any new information on this issue. We thank you for your time and patience. - Beatrice
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

AChaseS5 ... I am sorry to hear you have had so much trouble.  I think your best bet is to do what I have done.  1) make sure that your contacts, apps and setting are all backed up.  2) Flash your phone back to the 4.4.1 firmware level:  G900PVPU1ANE5 (NOTE: for the downgrade to work you need to reset back to the factory settings, this is why it is important to backup everything before doing the process)  3) Before you start setting the phone up again (connecting to wifi, etc) make sure to disable the automatic software update check so that the phone doesn't immediately start telling you that you need to load the latest update.

I have been running that way for a month now and will continue to do so until they release a fix.

Highlighted
Journeyman

SprintCare ... This is becoming completely unacceptable.  I reported this issue 2 months ago.  Several people have noted that they are seeing the same problem, so it is clear that this isn't a problem unique to my phone, computer or geography.

It has been noted that you are aware of the this issue.

I have now tried upgrading to the latest OTA release, G900PVPU180A6 (The new Lollipop release.  To my great disappointment, I am still not able to tether to my phone.  I get an IP address and what appears to be an appropriate route configuration but I am not able to get to the internet from my phone.  I am going to have to go through the pain of rolling back to an earlier release to access the tethering functionality that I am paying for.

Bluetooth doesn't appear to work either and USB Tethering has the same problems as Wifi tethering.

This is unacceptable.  Two broken releases in a row.  There needs to be a documented workaround or a fix ASAP!

Thank you for your attention to this issue!

Sincerely,

Jay Bryant

Highlighted
Master

jungleboyj

Sorry for the inconveniences after the upgrade. Currently, the manufacturer is working to fix this issues. Some times, resetting your device to factory settings will resolve the software issues. Before performing the factory reset, make sure you have your device backed up.

- Gustavo
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

Gustavo,  I appreciate the quick reply and may try resetting the device to factory settings again.  Is there any estimate of when the issue will be resolved?  Knowing such an estimate would be very helpful.

Thanks!

Highlighted
Master

jungleboyj,

Unfortunately we do not have an estimate from the manufacturer at this time. Please keep an eye on this forum for any updates.

Thank you,

Lorrie

Sprint Social Care

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat